Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! My puppy just had a seizure!

• 08-05-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm after getting a terrible fright. I left my five month old pup out for a wee and after a few minutes called him in. He was only in when he dropped to the ground and started having a seizure, he was shaking violently and yelping in a weird high pitched tone this lasted about 20 seconds, I didnt go near him as I know you're not supposed to go near a human having a seizure. Then he went unconscious!!!! When he eventually came around he was walking all wobbly and couldn't stand properly. I put him into His crate and gave him a drink, I offerered him food but he won't take it. I can't get through to any vet I've tried all local vets and I'm just getting answering machines. He seems ok now as he's wagging his tail at me but I'm leaving him rest just in case. Has this happened anyone? Any advise? I'm really worried about him. I've rang my dad and he's on his way over to have a look at him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Are you in Dublin? can you get to the emergency clinic in UCD? I would be a little worried about any period of unconsciousness, better to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

No I'm in the midlands there doesn't seem to be any emergency clinics here I'm googling it! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Oh thats a real shame, maybe just keep an eye on him over night, and get him there in the morning. My westie used to have seizures but didn't lose consciousness. The vet advised us to make it dark, turn off all noise (tv/radio or people talking) and just sit with him and reassure him until it passed. (he used to sit up in my lap when it was coming on, but he didn't seize that badly so I could manage him)

Maybe someone else here would be able to give you more advice on how to mind him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ring your usual vet, they will most likely have an emergancy number recorded for you to ring and see a vet out of hours. If not your vet, ring any other vets in the locality, one of them WILL have an emergency line, get your pup to the vet asap, could be epiliepsy or something more sinister such as eating poison. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

There is a vet in Portlaoise and another in Athy, Kildare with a 24 hour emergency vet. I've had to use the one in Athy. Has he had his "worm" doses drontal etc??

Hope he's ok xxx

• Advertisement

Finally got in contact with a vet guys, just leaving now ( it's an hour away).

Best of luck, hope everything goes okay! Hopefully it just turns out to be something like a febrile seizure due to a temp rather than something more serious. Catch us up when you have time :) x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Have nothing to add to above bar if you leave him in his crate overnight take out his water bowl. If he seizures again it shouldnt be near him just in case. You poor thing im sure it was terrifying. Is he a breed? Boxers are quite prone to epilepsy unfortunately but easily treated with medication.

If you have him fairly contained in comfortable surroundings with no risk of injurying himself he hopefully will be ok until you get him to a vet tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Animals first in Kilcullen have 24hr on call.

Hope your puppy is ok OP. Please let us know when you have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Athlone has the AIT animal hospital as well? How did you get on? Hope the little lad is ok! :(

• Advertisement

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Athlone has the AIT animal hospital as well? How did you get on? Hope the little lad is ok! :(

That is just called Athlone animal hospital, it has nothing to do with AIT except for being beside it. (just in case the op is trying to look it up)

Did you manage to get him to the vet last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Oops sorry going on someone elses info there!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice! Good news puppy is ok brought him the vet last night and he get him a full check up and he seemed fine he said it wasn't poisioning or anything like that but obviously he would have to have to have tests done for epilepsy etc.

So took him to the normal vets this morning and he did blood tests and is going to do a ct scan to make sure his brain is ok. Puppy is in great form though so in praying all the tests come back fine and that it was just a one of kinda thing!

Advertisement