Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do modems just get tired?

• 08-05-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a Thompson Diginet which is becoming increasingly cranky with the whole thing locking up tonight having previously given up on telephony (light just blinks away). It feels like its on its last legs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have had 4 different DSL modems that all gave up the ghost after between 12 and 24 months of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

mike65 wrote: »
    Do modems just get tired?

No, it just depends on the the time of the month ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I found the eircom silver netopia modems to be extremely reliable and resilient for a stock ISP modem. The successor the black eircom modems are much less reliable in my experience.

At home I use a Billion 7800n and it's the best modem I've ever used. 0 down time 100% fast, all the time. Expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Praetorian wrote: »
    I found the eircom silver netopia modems to be extremely reliable and resilient for a stock ISP modem. The successor the black eircom modems are much less reliable in my experience.

+1 the 2247's are real workhorses. Still have two acting as AP's. Nice dual external antennae too, none of this internal bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A Netopia one died on me within a few months of getting DSL, I replaced it with a Linksys modem 3 years ago and the Linksys has been rock solid since. I use a separate router and have this Linksys modem in half bridge mode (where it leases my public IP to my router through DHCP) so it's not doing anything but dialling PPPoE every 30 seconds to keep the connection alive. I even have 2 separate access points upstairs and down for full wireless coverage.

The Netopia is fine for the average user, but it's a cheap as chips router, I wanted something more powerful with more features so I didn't mind supplying my own. If you understand routers, you'd understand the crazy amount of stuff that goes on in there at lightning pace. A more powerful router will speed up your connection, you wouldn't believe the difference it makes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement