Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad instrument combination: fiddle or mandolin/banjo?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I need to book a trad band for a few hours and my preference is for a flute and at least one fiddle player. However, the guy has got back with what I consider to be far too high a price (€600) for a four piece - flute/whistle; fiddle; guitar/singer; mandolin/banjo.

The alternative is a three-piece: the above minus the fiddle. I don't know enough about trad combinations but I just can't see a trad seisiún (as opposed to a ballad session) working near as well without at least one fiddle player. I couldn't find any 'great' trad mandolin piece on YouTube during a search a moment ago so I'm not sure how great that instrument could be. I do, however, like the life in this instrument combination on YouTube:

Is my instinct correct on this, or could the mandolin/banjo combination work as well as the fiddle with the flute/whistle?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Beautiful EIRE/Ireland: What a nice collection of scenes in the video Seanchai, and yes the flute is well suited for background music, rolling hills and old stone monuments, and how lovely the flute suits the scene changes too. You really should also ask for advice in the After hours forum where I'm sure a few of us might help you out with your query. I wouldn't bother with the 'Primary School forum', as they wouldn't know about such things. Here's a Trad outfit that may suit? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sR8gi_gWy4M

Sadly I don't know what thay charge per hour, but I guess the banjo/whistle combo will suit your needs.

Slán leat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

LordSutch wrote: »
    You really should also ask for advice in the After hours forum where I'm sure a few of us might help you out with your query. I wouldn't bother with the 'Primary School forum', as they wouldn't know about such things. Here's a Trad outfit that may suit? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sR8gi_gWy4M

Sadly I don't know what thay charge per hour, but I guess the banjo/whistle combo will suit your needs.

Let me get this straight, you're suggesting the OP ask for advice on the After Hours forum or hire the Wolfe Tones? There's something seriously wrong with both of those suggestions.

Seanchai, what part of the country are you talking about? I'm sure you could get a lively trad band for a few hours for less than that. Your local Comhaltas should be able to help you out there, or perhaps an advert on the session.org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Blade wrote: »
    Seanchai, what part of the country are you talking about? I'm sure you could get a lively trad band for a few hours for less than that. Your local Comhaltas should be able to help you out there, or perhaps an advert on the session.org.

Thanks Blade. The event will be in Leitrim so I assumed I'd have little difficulty getting at least one good fiddle player there. We've been quoted €200 for a couple of guitarists who can sing, but we're looking for flute/whistle/fiddle players at an equally reasonable price for an acoustic trad seisiún rather than guitarists for a ballad session.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I might know someone in Leitrim who could arrange that for you. That was 200 euro for 2 people, I doubt you'll get a full session going for that price as you'd be needing more. Leave it with me for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Blade wrote: »
    I might know someone in Leitrim who could arrange that for you. That was 200 euro for 2 people, I doubt you'll get a full session going for that price as you'd be needing more. Leave it with me for a couple of days.

Thanks. Yesterday I got in touch with other trad musicians in Leitrim. They could do the fiddle and flute but they came with two other musicians, who would bring a keyboard and accordion respectively. In other words, a ceilí band. He said the keyboard was necessary to provide the rhythm. Not up my alley. I'd prefer a single guitar over it, even at the risk of a trad seisiún turning into a ballad session.

Getting back to my initial question: could the mandolin/banjo with the flute/whistle and guitar combination work as well as the fiddle with the flute/whistle and guitar combination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

How long are these people to play for?........1 hour?, 2 ?. In fairness , if your that concerned about the price , and your looking for something cheap, your inevitably gonna get it. I think 600 for three good musicians doin 2 hours is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Seanchai wrote: »
    Getting back to my initial question: could the mandolin/banjo with the flute/whistle and guitar combination work as well as the fiddle with the flute/whistle and guitar combination?

It depends on the players, tbh.

Personally, I like the banjo with the flute, and a guitar backing. Skip a couple of minutes ahead in this:

Obviously those are top class musicians, but I don't see any reason why the instruments can't go together anyway.

Advertisement