Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write a good speech essay?

• 08-05-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm not quite sure if I am going to do a speech or a short story . I can only do good short stories depending on what the title is. My other option is the speeches.

Whats the layout for the speech? How long should the opening be? And how many paragraphs?
    I know the general layout but my teacher hasn't gone through it properly yet. I have done them at ordinary very well at the ones I did. I tried one speech a few weeks ago and got a C2 on one of the honours questions.
    Any tips for improving?

And this is for the 100mark question. It could be used for the question B's too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not quite sure if I am going to do a speech or a short story . I can only do good short stories depending on what the title is. My other option is the speeches.

Whats the layout for the speech? How long should the opening be? And how many paragraphs?
    I know the general layout but my teacher hasn't gone through it properly yet. I have done them at ordinary very well at the ones I did. I tried one speech a few weeks ago and got a C2 on one of the honours questions.
    Any tips for improving?

And this is for the 100mark question. It could be used for the question B's too.

Thanks

Look at sample speeches online and you'll get a feel for them (Martin Luther King, Steve Jobs, Not Obama).

Needs an intro, needs to keep focus whole way through. Iv often read through my speeches and found myself falling asleep reading it so hearing it wouldnt be great.

Opening dictates what you will say in the speech, half page?

Speeches are easy to write when its from the heart and something you can relate to, passion passion passion. Have quotes in it that will be remembered (I have a dream) even if they're stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

By using tons of rhetoric i.e ethos, repitition, rhetorical questions etc. It's also important to use the correct register in your essay depending on who it is aimed for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Should you keep engaging with the audience?
    Like if it was a school speech and the teacher was speaking they might keep addressing the students and possibly ask them to do something?

Oh absolutely. I tend to write speeches all the time because I know how to adapt it to students of our age. What I do is I try to make the speech engaging and interactive as possible. So like I'd pop in somewhere "Hands up if you would do x and y.... " and then do the whole mind counting "One .. two.. " If that makes an ounce of sense? :rolleyes:

Should you keep engaging with the audience?
    Like if it was a school speech and the teacher was speaking they might keep addressing the students and possibly ask them to do something?

Ya it does need a good bit of focus. Like for my grad speech, i kept using "we" and same for a speech welcoming first years on behalf of students. depends on task really because a speech on global warming might'nt necessarily be as easy to focus

• Advertisement

What if say it was something about the past or future or something else abstract? directed at other people not students. I'm not too bad at the ones involving students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Rhetorical questions are very good for 'engaging' the audience or whatever. Just use one or two in every speech if you can.

What if say it was something about the past or future or something else abstract? directed at other people not students. I'm not too bad at the ones involving students.

I'd probably fill it with rhetoric and in particular ethos. Say if it was on animal cruelty I'd probably say " According to the National Prevention of Animal Cruelty...." It doesn't have to be real but what ethos does is lends weight to your argument!

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I'd probably fill it with rhetoric and in particular ethos. Say if it was on animal cruelty I'd probably say " According to the National Prevention of Animal Cruelty...." It doesn't have to be real but what ethos does is lends weight to your argument!

Do you know how long the speech needs to be for the 100mark question?
    Would you a introduction then have 4-5 points and write a paragraph on each and then the closing paragraph. I'm thinking of maybe watching a few speeches on youtube. Usually most of what I write is generally what I hear from the many different speeches that you go to.

Mine are usually 6-7 pages in length with about 4/5 points. Each point would get around a page in length! But remember it is the introduction and conclusion that impresses the most. Make sure your introduction is as engaging as possible to catch the attention of the examiner.

• Advertisement

Ya it does need a good bit of focus. Like for my grad speech, i kept using "we" and same for a speech welcoming first years on behalf of students. depends on task really because a speech on global warming might'nt necessarily be as easy to focus

I did that essay on the grad speech I did engage with the audience. My opening paragraph was about a page long I did two more pages. I didn't go into great detail on everything I brought up the future how we don't know what will happen and the general things like that . I said other things about keeping positive and like if everything doesn't go as well the first time round etc.. I got a C2 . It's not a bad grade maybe I needed to expand on what I was saying as I only briefly mentioned those. My teacher didn't tell me where I went wrong either she just said she hasn't gone over that in class yet that I done well and I'll show you tips later for how to improve.

I did that essay on the grad speech I did engage with the audience. My opening paragraph was about a page long I did two more pages. I didn't go into great detail on everything I brought up the future how we don't know what will happen and the general things like that . I said other things about keeping positive and like if everything doesn't go as well the first time round etc.. I got a C2 . It's not a bad grade maybe I needed to expand on what I was saying as I only briefly mentioned those. My teacher didn't tell me where I went wrong either she just said she hasn't gone over that in class yet that I done well and I'll show you tips later for how to improve.

Id have been happy with a C2 because then i wouldn't have to read it out during the acutal grad mass :pac:

Speeches are hard because it can be hard to stay focused to the question. When i first done the grad speech i had a whole paragraph on the "paedo priests" and got all passionate about capital punishment etc. but took it out because it has to be read in a church

If its typed id be happy to look at it and give my 2 cents

Id have been happy with a C2 because then i wouldn't have to read it out during the acutal grad mass :pac:

Speeches are hard because it can be hard to stay focused to the question. When i first done the grad speech i had a whole paragraph on the "paedo priests" and got all passionate about capital punishment etc. but took it out because it has to be read in a church

If its typed id be happy to look at it and give my 2 cents

I haven't got it typed up I don't mind typing it up , if I can find it I'm sure I still have it. Is the teacher making you read out your speech?

I found the speech I'll type it up for you now I'll pm it.

Advertisement