Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-fi Booster: Brillant or complete B*ll*cks !!

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Any advise much appreciated.
    Having problems with wi-fi signal in the house, walls all insulated with foil backed board, so in an attempt to solve the problem with out using a range extender or additional router I bought a 802.11b/g/n Wifi Signal booster.
    http://www.wifi-shop24.com/products/en/WiFi-Booster/24-GHz-WiFi-Booster--Amplifier--1000mW-30dBm.html

I connected it to the eircom Netopia (bog standard) router and switched it on hoping to be blown away by wi-fi power but alas I would say the signal decreased if any thing.

Beginning to think that I bought another useless device.

By any chance does any body think I'm doing some thing wrong ( apart from the obvious in buying it in the first place). Is the router compatible ?

Again any advise appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Login to the wireless router and change channel, it's most likely interference on the channel it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Thanks PogMo Thoin, will try that & see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

good one wrote: »
    Thanks PogMo Thoin, will try that & see what happens

Hey, would you let me know how you get on? My wireless signal gets very poor once you move more than 1 room away from the wireless router, so need to get something to sort it out... cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JamesGillic

Not sure if this is the same issue. I have the standard Eircom wireless router with poor wifi signal at one end of the house, All data cables are wired back to this point and I have a patch panel installed. I was wondering can I simply connect an access point into one of my phone points (where there is poor signal) that can be connected to the eircom router on the other end or is life a bit more complicated.

What is the best solution and AP for this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP, here is the broken bit:

This booster works bi-directional (TX/RX). It amplifies both, the output power (TX) and receiving sensitivity (RX) of your WiFi device.

- Amplifying the transmitting power will help. A lot.But only in 1 direction.

- Amplifying the receiving sensitivity will not.The result will be- Minor, but not a huge improvement.

Here's why:

Even when you are downloading, the receiving device (laptop or PC) must send signals back regularly to the wireless AP. If those signals don't get through, then the originating server will attempt to resend what it has already sent, thinking that the PC hasnt received them.

Boosting the transmit signal will help the PC get a better signal on the way down, but not on the way back up.

Boosting the receiver sensitivity will, in general, not help significantly, because it will amplify electrical noise just as much as it amplifies the received signal from the PC.

as PogmoThoin suggests, it is worth trying out a few different channels.

In the long term, the best option is to run ethernet cables to 2-3 different points in the home & set up APs at the end of each cable.

If you cannot do this, then at least avoid dual-band 802.11n (because if 2.4GHz isnt working for you, 5GHz definitely will not) - but MIMO 2.4GHz 802.11n could work, provided you have at least 2 antennas at each receiver.

-FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JamesGillic

Thanks Fox T. I have Cat 5 cable all around the house cabled back to one point (where my eircom router is). Is it possible to then connect an AP to where the signal is weak? Or does the AP need to be in some way compatible with the Eircom router? Can you recommend or point me in the direction of a good and compatible AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

This is my exact same set-up but I have a three router, patch panel and cat5 throughout the house to wall plates.... any advice would be appreciated as regards AP, another router etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Is it possible to then connect an AP to where the signal is weak? Or does the AP need to be in some way compatible with the Eircom router? Can you recommend or point me in the direction of a good and compatible AP?

Yes this is exactly the way it should be done. For the most hassle-free wireless experience

1. Use the same wireless SSID on all AP's/routers but make sure you use a different channel on each AP. So use channel 1 on say the Eircom wireless router, channel 6 on new AP #1 and channel 11 on new AP #2. When this works right, you can wander around in the house and your device will switch between the different AP's without you having to intervene.

2. Only have one device in the house (in this case the Eircom router) with NAT or DHCP Server enabled. Disable NAT and DHCP Server on everything else. AP's often won't have any of these options anyway but wireless routers certainy would. This bit is really important and your heart will be broken if you don't do it.

3. If using wireless routers (instead of AP's), plug the ethernet cable from the main router into one of the LAN ports (usually marked 1-4) instead of into the WAN port.

As for what AP's or wireless routers to buy, pick anything from TP-Link and shop around online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks Fox T. I have Cat 5 cable all around the house cabled back to one point (where my eircom router is). Is it possible to then connect an AP to where the signal is weak? Or does the AP need to be in some way compatible with the Eircom router? Can you recommend or point me in the direction of a good and compatible AP?

Is it possible to then connect an AP to where the signal is weak?
    - Yes, it is.

does the AP need to be in some way compatible with the Eircom router?
    - No, it should not need anything special. However, different APs/routers can sometimes have compatibility issues. You should be safe enough though.

Can you recommend or point me in the direction of a good and compatible AP?
    - I can't recommend any , because I havent set this up myself, but I would look at something like

http://www.dabs.com/products/edimax-wifi-802-11n-access-point-poe-763T.html?q=802.11n%20AP&src=16

or

http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-wireless-n-access-point-77RK.html?q=802.11n%20AP&src=16

or

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-n300-black-diamond-router-84KW.html?q=802.11n%20AP&src=16

When buying an AP - I'd strongly recommend one that supports 802.11n , and also has more than one antenna.

try to ensure that the AP RF channels do not overlap with your existing wireless network, or performance may suffer.

regards,

Foxt

Advertisement