Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore Commute

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am thinking of moving to Oranmore. Whats it like to live in?
    What can I expect regards a rush hour commute into Galway city centre, what is public transport like?
    Some local insight would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Public transport's not great: once an hour Mon-Sat, 7am-7pm. A few regional/national buses apart from that. I believe a cab from town is about E15-ish.

Lots of stuff in the area - ref the Oranmore neighbourhood map.

Good access to the roads going south/east.

I guess it depends on what you're in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

It's grand. if you leave Oranmore at 8 you can be at the cathedral for before half 8 but if you leave at 8:15 you're talking closer to 8:50 - 9:00, however I do have to go through the village school traffic so it's better on the Galway side of the village. The buses are pretty good, into town in 20mins in the morning (healy bus) bus eireann do a good service along with citylink which is cheaper. Train station is supposed to start construction April 2012, so it should be built by November 301902091.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Oranmore is grand. Been here for a few months. Tesco & lidl are very handy, hate going anywhere near supervalue though, traffic & parking are a nightmare in there. Traffic & illegal parking used to be a big issue in the village itself but thankfully thats starting to ease with new yellow lines. There is a thread under galway county about it.

Thankfully my shift pattern means i dont have to go through the pain of regular hours commute, but thinking about it most places you could potentailly end up living you can get out onto the dual carriage way handy enough if your driving. & after that the city traffic is the city traffic, which your going to have to deal with no matter where you decide to live. Outside of rush hour(s) driving in & out of the city is handy though.

The intercity buses pick up from outside the supervalue to the city centre but recently the city buses are running through the village as well.

Are you working/going to be working in the city centre? Do you intend to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Good pubs in Oranmore and Rinville Park is a great place for a stroll or a picnic.

A very nice village IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 birdygirl

I moved to Oranmore a few years ago for University. I have to say I really like the place, definitely feels like home. The best thing about the place is that it can be nice and quiet, without being dead. There is always people buzzing around.

The pubs are great, Tesco is handy. The only downside for me is having to take the bus into Galway. Traffic is a nightmare at certain times of the day. But as Yer Man says, if you time it right, its usually grand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

anyone got more info on the night link bus service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Doom wrote: »
    anyone got more info on the night link bus service

Is there one? :eek:

c_man wrote: »
    Is there one? :eek:

Citylink leaves Galway for Oranmore at 1am everyday. It's the commuter bus so it continues to Dubin. It's ≈ €3 single.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Farrels run the only Galway bus service that's officially called Nightlink.

I'm not sure if it stops in at Oranmore or not. (If you call them and ask, please do post back here with the answer and clear up the confusion.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

yer man! wrote: »
    Citylink leaves Galway for Oranmore at 1am everyday. It's the commuter bus so it continues to Dubin. It's ≈ €3 single.

According to their website they pick up in Galway at 1am and arrive at Oranmore at 1.10am opposite supervalu .....handy to know.

Farrells do a night link to Athenry, not sure if it goes through Oranmore....must ring them.

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    According to their website they pick up in Galway at 1am and arrive at Oranmore at 1.10am opposite supervalu .....handy to know.

Farrells do a night link to Athenry, not sure if it goes through Oranmore....must ring them.

Ya they used to have a 2:15 and a 3:30 bus going through Oranmore in the morning from town too but these were converted to express services taking the motorway. However if the express bus is empty (midweek sometimes) the driver will go through Oranmore anyway and join the motorway at Carnmore. If you're nice to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hmm, perhaps it would be good to have a thread where everyone can report their commute times from various place in city and county into the city.
    Could be helpful for newcomers that will work in the city but live outside, in the suburbs or the villages around Galway.

Advertisement