Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Cheapest I've found Combined Ops is on the Bohemia store itself.

I think it's the same price on Steam. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but will definitely pick it up for the mod, looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I think it's the same price on Steam. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but will definitely pick it up for the mod, looks great!

€29.99 on Steam. Amazon is like $40.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

€29.99 on Steam. Amazon is like $40.

It says €24.99 here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4639/

Still coming up as $29.99
    I'm running off an American IP though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

*very* tempted to buy the Arma Combined Forces just to play this!

Shiminay wrote: »
    *very* tempted to buy the Arma Combined Forces just to play this!

Of course Arma would be a great game to fall back on when you cant get a server...

so tempted...

I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo many other games though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Arma II's modding community is fecking amazing, one of the best communities out there. Arma II vanilla servers are pretty empty, but not only this mod, but a heap of others are extremely busy and popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm suprised groups of people haven't set up and charged people ammo etc for entering a zone.....and if they don't then they kill them :P ...it's the first thing I'd do :D
    It sounds like a heaven for Trolls.
    I don't think I have the expansion though to play it, also I never liked the ARMA original, the controls were crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

yeah, ARMA engine has its flaws - ladders and indoors mainly plus the control and feel takes some getting used to compared to standard FPS but imo its a price worth paying for the possibilities offered by this game.
    You kinda just accept the inherent issues and play around them.
    The open world, vehicles ,mods, attention to detail, realism, I can go from world war 2 to zombie killing in 2 minutes then fly a chopper in Nam. Nothing else comes close.
    This mod takes the biscuit. My kingdom for a map and a can of beans at the moment, freeking starving in the middle of no where.
    I found the Winchester rifle is great, lots of ammo and 1 shot , 1 kill for zeds and its very stealthy. Unlike Lee Enfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Would be great to have barricadable buildings. Is this possible? Or the ability to farm land for food.

In ARMA you can deffinatly build bases etc so hopefully they will implement that here.

Farm for food - why not, you can program anything in this game I reckon, if you can kill a rabbit, collect wood and matches, make a fire, gut rabbit with teh knife you found, cook it and get your health back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I need to try this although I don't know if I can justify paying for Arma for the sake of a mod that is in Alpha!!

What's the player limit per server and is there vehicles in it like cars etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo many other games though...
    ARMA will suck up all your time.

ARMA 3 is also out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Big Knox wrote: »
    I need to try this although I don't know if I can justify paying for Arma for the sake of a mod that is in Alpha!!

What's the player limit per server and is there vehicles in it like cars etc?

Player limit is between 2 and whatever your server can handle, seen a few servers over 200 players for Warfare (an MMO type mission / mod).

We used to have a server that was mainly small coop missions but other game modes need 30 to 40 players to work.

The vehicles in Arma 2 are military vehicles......all of them......yeah pretty sure every one of them ever is in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Player limit is between 2 and whatever your server can handle, seen a few servers over 200 players for Warfare (an MMO type mission / mod).

We used to have a server that was mainly small coop missions but other game modes need 30 to 40 players to work.

The vehicles in Arma 2 are military vehicles......all of them......yeah pretty sure every one of them ever is in it :)

Wait so this mod has military vehicles? As in you can find a tank and go ape **** killing everyone and mowing down zombies if you're lucky enough???

ARMA itself has every civilian and military vehicle imaginable, and if it has not then mods cover the rest. Seriously from a Mountain bike to an M1 tank, Sopwith camel to f18 Hornet.

DayZ has vehicles but these are broken down, you scavenge parts to fix vehicles. I have heard people talk theat there are helicopters out there somewhere but in this game you have to find them and any parts / fuel they need. Then you can fly around, sit on the skids with a machine guns and cap zombies:cool:

Big Knox wrote: »
    Wait so this mod has military vehicles? As in you can find a tank and go ape **** killing everyone and mowing down zombies if you're lucky enough???

In this mod see above.

But in normal Arma yeah murdercate everything in your path with an awesome array of weapons.

Like for instance, your on the ground attacking a town and 2 of your "mates" decide to teamkill you with an Apache AH64 and think its hilarious..... Well you get out your laser designator and call in Jigsaw....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, first zombie game/mod I've seen that seems to 'get' what a zombie game should involve.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, first zombie game/mod I've seen that seems to 'get' what a zombie game should involve.

Its quite good made by a Bohemia Developer in his "spare time" (bull**** :D)

Its a persistent world to a point so your "login" keeps that back pack on different servers. It knows your injured and made 54 headshots. Sadly the "asshole" on the internet can ruin an entire server, seen a lad camp an area of goodies earlier. The goodies seems to be locked into certain areas and not random, that needs to change.

Looking at the files used to create this and including the persistent end of it, this is quite an epic mod for any game. Its massive in what has been done to the game and engine, even includes new motion catpure :eek:

OK fine, so I bought ArmA 2...
    Been meaning to get it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Funny you posted this, I hadn't heard of it until 5 minutes ago when I noticed Giantbomb had posted a quicklook video of it. I'm only new to Arma 2 myself and haven't quite gotten the ropes yet but this looks amazing. If anyone wants to add me on steam or anything my username is richie_eire

Just spent 2 full nights crossing the entire map, on my own. Killed 20+ Zeds, got to the Big Airport which is full of military hard ware. Night time, raining like hell. Sneaking like a mouse. Saw a Zombie in my way , 5 meters, Had to kill him. He's down. Tip toe a few yards more, nearly at airbase after 6 real hours traveling, sneak around corner. Stop. Listen. Bang. Dead.
    Bandit hidden behind a wall. heard me top the Zed and waited for me to walk past and popped me with his pistol. Pitch black, did not see him.
    He robbed all my gear. Best thing is I had bugger all on me.

Soooooooooooooooo angry when he shot me after all those hours creeping across the map. Love it. you invest so much time into your character that when u die, it really shocks you. Well this is what it does to me anyway.

This game is epic.

Right, so I got this yesterday. I'd been meaning to try Arma 2 for ages now so this was the perfect reason to try it.

I just jumped into the 1st free dayz server I could find, there were a few with plenty of people but still plenty of free slots.

I'd never played the game before so I had to take a quick crash course in everything.............while in pitch black. :pac: I'd seen alot of Arma 2 videos so I had at least some grasp of how to act and what to do in this game.

Went into a lighthouse just up along the beach where I spawned, turned around and there was a guy standing there looking at me. Luckily, he was friendly and we took off into the night.

We went to a factory where we came across a guy named Pedro hiding up in a balcony in a warehouse, no english on him. We tried seeing if he was friendly when out of the blue a zombie comes in, the 1st one I'd seen. We killed him but the guns set off the surrounding zombies and about 8 - 10 started coming in the door of the warehouse (they slow down when they get inside for some reason.)

We decided to leave with our new friend tagging along. During this time more zombies came but I got split up from the guys and had to run into a hut since I couldn't see shìt. All I could make out outside were silhouettes running around, screaming, and gunfire. Terrifying stuff when you're not sure where anybody is.

Grouped up with the guys again and we took off into the woods. Few minutes later we get to a town where the 2 guys decided to run into it. I thought it was a bad idea but...........what the hell.

We stand outside of a big building while the one guy went in since he had the most ammo. 3 seconds later he runs back out with 3 zombies chasing him, we shoot them and a shìtload come out of nowhere, attacking poor Pedro and eating him. We tried saving him but there were waaaay too many zombies for 2 guys with next to zero ammo to take on so his body made good bait while me and the other guy fleed. :D

I had no ammo left and was cut up badly enough from the zombies so we run off into the woods to find another place to fix me up and get us some ammo.

We get to another small town where we are more careful sneaking around. We find a dead person in the middle of the road (not a zombie) so I go to check it out when next thing I started getting shot at. Myself and my buddy leg it to behind a house but the guy who was shooting was right beside us and he killed my buddy and started laying into me.

I leg it off into the woods, bleeding, where I hide behind some trees, still not being able to see shìt.....................and then slump over and die :(

That was an absolutely fantastic game for my 1st time. You really get that perfect sense of dread and an apocalypse where you can't trust anyone and have to keep your wits about constantly. Every little noise had me spooked that something was behind me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

I have arma2, but not combined arms (sounds like this is needed?). Is there a cheap enough option for me to upgrade to CA?

Feck ya Duggy, that's another great reason to want to play this game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never really got into Arma 2, I guess I'm just not a milsim kinda guy. But this sounds delightful. A whole island of zombies and STALKERS? A "Dead Island", if you will?

I May just have to pick this up and give it a go.

It really is something else, funny how an alpha mod captures the essence of a zombie apocalypse better than most games that set out to do so.

Playing on your own is pretty fun too as you still have to keep your wits about you from zombies and the fact that you litteraly can't trust anyone. Finding petty things like cans of beans and ammo are a godsend.

But doing it with others is where this mod really takes off. I've watched so many hilarious videos of groups getting in a pickle:

Skip to 12:50 for lulz

Part 2 - Go to 3:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Played this a while ago, did they fix the issue that occurs when your humanity is lowered and you become a bandit? When I played, it would go to a screen saying "requesting data" or something along those lines and you had to exit the server and re-enter to get back in game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement