Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Buy direct - Digital download
    https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations

You can also just buy Arrowhead and use the free Arma2 with lower res textures.

Does free arma 2 run better? As in is it less system intensive?

AND are the signs all still in Russian? Cos I can read em'.

Finally that talent will pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    and see dublin in the early predawn light.

OH SWEET LORD!!!

CIVILIZATION AT LAST!!!!!!!
    :eek:

View%20over%20Dublin%20from%20Wicklow%20Way%202.jpg

00031885-279.jpg

Or is it........................?????

WJVST.jpg

*BOOM*

YpPQs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

It'll be running the Operation Arrowhead engine afaik, so doesnt matter what version of Arma (free or not) you've got going

Believe it looks better, and is better optimised then the original Arma2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

Signs are in Russian, luckily my online map shows both :)
    Wossack wrote: »
    It'll be running the Operation Arrowhead engine afaik, so doesnt matter what version of Arma (free or not) you've got going

Believe it looks better, and is better optimised then the original Arma2 smile.gif
    Some of the textures are used from Arma2 I think, so some stuff looks low res.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Did that when I was in school, in our transition year they did an all night cross country treck across the wicklow mountains, Exhausting but exilerating stuff, especially when you cross over the peak near the radio towers and see dublin in the early predawn light.

Have played nightgames in airsoft that can get pretty tense alright.

• Advertisement

Have had two lives now....the first I was killed by some Bandit I was near after I had killed a Zombie, we had passed near a train yard and I lost sight of him.
    Killed a zombie and noticed firing near me, turned and saw him on the ground behind me, I focused in to see him line me up and kill me with the next shot.
    Should be more weary next time as I could have shot him first when I paused to look.

Second life I started near a road, it started to get dark so I hid in a shed, came back on at 2am and got a day server walked outside to find a body with a rifle, compass, matches, binos the works....... made my way down the road to a town, was approaching it....walked right into two zombies and after firing there were 4/5 on me in a flash :(

Is it the game itself or it being a Beta with the lack of responsiveness when you're being swamped?.... seemed like my gun wouldn't shoot half the time and couldn't reload etc.... seemed awful messy and chances of surviving are remote since its so hard to fire.
    Signs are in Russian, luckily my online map shows both :)

Some of the textures are used from Arma2 I think, so some stuff looks low res.

So do you reckon by consulting the online map and using your own in game navigation you could manage to meet up with a friend online?.

One of the lads is getting it now but I haven't a clue how we're supposed to meet such is the vastness of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

So do you reckon by consulting the online map and using your own in game navigation you could manage to meet up with a friend online?.

One of the lads is getting it now but I haven't a clue how we're supposed to meet such is the vastness of the map.

It's possible and I'v done it before. Myself and Fawkon managed to meet up outside Elektro using the online map only. Best thing to do when using the online map is:

1) If you are near a town, check the road signs to see which town you are in (or nearby). Check the online map as the map has both the English and Russian translation.

2) Look out for 'points/areas of Interest', be in a city or in the country. For example along the coast there can be a group of Islands, a nearby lake or even a lighthouse. Check the online map for geographical similarities and you should be able to get a rough idea of where you might be.

3) I cannot for the life of me remember which direction the sea points to, but for example say the Sea is pointing south (which I think it is), you will then know that inland points north and then also east and west directions.

4) Cranes, smoke stacks and mosques/churches are usually seen in far distances and good indicators you are near a city.

Putting everything together it is possible to work your way around the place using the online map until you get hold of the in-game map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I’ve done it a few times using in game map and online map and map alone.

Biggest hint I can give though is: when you first login, down in the bottom right it will show how many days you have been alive but more importantly it will show the general area you are in or near.

Once this is known you can then use what was the good information provided by Michael Cravez above. Such as use the online map look for noticeable landmarks (lakes, towns etc) and then use things to like the sun\stars to find your direction.

You are going to get lost quite a few times but its more then possible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Can anyone tell me the total size of the two packages?I only have a traffic limit of 30gig for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the total size of the two packages?I only have a traffic limit of 30gig for a month

Umm its around 15GB - think its 8GB for ARMA 2 and 7GB for expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Laika1986 wrote: »

About 14 - 15gb i think ? I could be fairly wrong tough.

My first life lasted a grand total of 2 minutes. Spawned, middle of the night. Flare in the distance, started walking towards it. Crack - Dead.

2nd Life didnt go much better, Spawned, spent ages following rail line only to end up in the bottom left of the map. (Rail line and road just end abruptly). Backtracked to nearest village, was shot and wounded. Finally managed to figure out how to bandaged myself when i had 3700 blood left. Spend the next 15 minutes wandering around not being able to see anything as it was blurry and pulsating from blood loss. Finally got killed by zombies while hiding in a shed. Bad times.

Great fun though !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Cheers lads!

Yes we do it a good bit. I use towns as definite markers and then use roads and dirt tracks for cross country navigation (we don't always follow them, just good reference points). We are on teamspeak too though so we can keep communicating when we get close to make sure it's first person we looking at. First time a friend found me, he didn't know it was me and killed me in a hut. Shot in the back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm was emailing admin for DayZ earlier they can't allow reserved slots on a server or passwords so in other words you could setup a server but not be able to get on it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Note to self: Remember the Side Channel can be heard/read by nearly everyone.

Accidentally announced both my location and a friends location. Lucky to still be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yeah the communication thing can be annoying at times, I keep pressing caps lock to type and inadvertently end up switching on my mic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Villain wrote: »
    Umm was emailing admin for DayZ earlier they can't allow reserved slots on a server or passwords so in other words you could setup a server but not be able to get on it yourself!

You'd have to kick people to make space for you and your friends. Possible but uncool for those who are kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So.. I logged out in the airfield last night after a few of us raided it and killed a few bandits.
    Now I'm afraid to log back in incase there is bandits there. :P

Which voice/mic program are boardsies using? Iv been trying to setup Mumble but finding it hard/confusing to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Is there an ArmA channel on the Boards Teamspeak?

• Advertisement

Is there an ArmA channel on the Boards Teamspeak?

There is an arma channel on the boards mumble.
    Thats the one we've all been using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Link? Myself and three friends are looking to meet up with some other people if we can. I've been recommending being nice to Boardsies if they see 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

There is an arma channel on the boards mumble.
    Thats the one we've all been using.

Boards Mumble? First I done heard of that.

Ponster wrote: »
    You'd have to kick people to make space for you and your friends. Possible but uncool for those who are kicked.
    The dev said you can't do that.

How would you like half your party kicked from a server at a standoff situation to free up some slots. Or someone hosting a private server to get the best weapons with no bandits to worry about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The dev said you can't do that.

How would you like half your party kicked from a server at a standoff situation to free up some slots.

To free up some slots to allow the people who pay for the server to play? NO problem whatsoever.

Ponster wrote: »
    To free up some slots to allow the people who pay for the server to play? NO problem whatsoever.
    Until someone reports the server and the dev stops the link. It still relies on his server so he makes the rules.

Rules here
    http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429&pid=13172#pid13172

The only way I could see private servers being fair, is if a players stuff that they found on the private servers, didn't transfer over to the public servers. Otherwise people can just host a server with themselves on it and get everything with no worries of other players

edit: @ The two lads looking for the mumble info, its somewhere back in this thread, I had a look for it but couldn't find it, with 30+ pages in the past two days its a pain to find a single post with a link to the server info in it. -.-

I just can't get into a game at all today!!.

Keep getting ''Waiting on server''.

Noticed then I hadn't ran the newest update last night(got into 3 games from 3 tries) and the update hasn't changed anything....same problem.

I am jumping on for a game if anyone is around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Anyone interested in getting themselves to either Cherno or Elektro at some point and trying a EU server for a nightgame once it gets dark?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement