Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sarky wrote: »
    I never really got into Arma 2, I guess I'm just not a milsim kinda guy. But this sounds delightful. A whole island of zombies and STALKERS? A "Dead Island", if you will?

I May just have to pick this up and give it a go.

Same here. I'm intrigued by this.
    The interface in ARMA II always grated with me. It felt unnecessarily complex and clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The more i play this the more i think it may just be one of the finest zombie games ever made. It's one of the purest survival horror experiences ive ever had the privelige to play

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

was watching the rest of those videos on youtube,very cool,zombies can run through walls : D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

What's the story with playing with friends lads? Like if I want to jump into a game with a friend, when we join the server is there a set spawn point we will both be at or is it a random spawn system where we would have to find each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Big Knox wrote: »
    What's the story with playing with friends lads? Like if I want to jump into a game with a friend, when we join the server is there a set spawn point we will both be at or is it a random spawn system where we would have to find each other?

Find each other, if you have no map or compass use the sun :)

• Advertisement

Tip you can outrun zombies but they never give up :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Couldn't you be absolutely miles away from each other? I'm not saying thats a bad thing, as it would be an achievement in itself when you actually do meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Thanks Jelly 292 for leading me to this game and for that youtube series. Ended up watching all six videos and game/mod is def on my list to get.

If I read it correctly the time of day is tied to the servers location so where are most of the busiest servers located?

Thanks Jelly 292 for leading me to this game and for that youtube series. Ended up watching all six videos and game/mod is def on my list to get.

If I read it correctly the time of day is tied to the servers location so where are most of the busiest servers located?

Europe

http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

Use dayz as the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

is this game actually a 14 gig download ? (combined arms)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Spunge wrote: »
    is this game actually a 14 gig download ? (combined arms)

Yes :( Just bought it and downloading now, won't be until some stage tomorrow that I get to try it. The OP should be getting a commission for some of the sales :p

Yes :( Just bought it and downloading now, won't be until some stage tomorrow that I get to try it. The OP should be getting a commission for some of the sales :p

Haha I just gave in and bought it too off steam.

I won't get to play it tonight anyway but thanks to fast connection I will be able to start download tomorrow and get to play it when I get home hopefully with some light left in day as going to hard to learn everything in pitch darkness :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just bought it myself because of this mod !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Same :). Have the Combined Arms pack downloaded so gonna install the mod and give this a go

Been trying to join games but I can't even get past the screen where you choose your 'side' (obviously the Blue Force option as a 'survivor') but it stalls on the 'Receiving Data...' loading bar. Does anyone else have this problem? Tried about 10-12 servers/games so far

It sometimes just sends me straight back to the server list also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Been trying to join games but I can't even get past the screen where you choose your 'side' (obviously the Blue Force option as a 'survivor') but it stalls on the 'Receiving Data...' loading bar. Does anyone else have this problem? Tried about 10-12 servers/games so far

It sometimes just sends me straight back to the server list also

yeah I had this problem, you got to close arma down, right click on it in steam and reinstall battle-eye anti cheat system.

it should work the next time you try

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bah, 6 hours and the server crashes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That story from the comments on Kotaku is brilliant. Seems like some fantastic things can happen in the game. Definitely going to pick it up next week.
    Kotaku wrote:
    I've been playing since around 1.2, and it really is something else. I have so many crazy stories and experiences from my travels in Chernarus I almost feel like writing a book.

Once, I logged on in the middle of the night. During my previous sessions I had been making my way through the countryside to what I was told was a town ripe for the picking, travelling with a friend who was now fast asleep. I decide to take a shortcut through a small village, which turned out to be a terrible decision - it was full of zombies.

So there I was, being chased along the road by a dozen zombies for what must've been half an hour, when I see a flare in the distance. It looks like it's on the roof of a building, but it's hard to tell from this distance. I stop running for a second to announce that I'm in need of help, during which time I'm struck in the face and start bleeding. Almost immediately I get a reply - "No problem, come on over". Slowly losing blood, I make my way over and find that it is indeed a building (and a pretty big one, at that). I climb a few flights of stairs, but see no entrance to the roof. Frantically searching, I hear a moan. They're catching up. Suddenly, I hear the flick of lighter, followed by a blinding red light - the guy drops a flare down, revealing the ladder that was hiding behind a stack of crates. I'm struck once again while I'm putting away my mostly-empty revolver. My vision darkens as I climb, gunshots echoing as my newfound companion covers my escape.

The gunshots stop as I finally reach the top. I'm safe. He points me towards a pile of ammo and we chat for a bit while he gives me a transfusion. In the first downtime I've had in quite some time, I realize how incredibly hungry and thirsty I am. I ask if he has anything to eat, to which he replies with a laugh, "You too, eh?"

A scream echoes in the distance. Blam. Blamblam. Another scream - no shots this time, though. I look toward the horizon, deeper into the city where I see a figure basking in the faint light of a distant flare. It's another survivor, and it looks like he's in trouble. Without hesitation, my savior whips out he rifle and, after adjusting his zero, takes aim and fires. The shots hit and the zombie goes down, as expected. What we didn't expect, though, was the massive horde that proceeded to sprint through the light towards us. ****.

We decide that it'd be a waste of resources to try and take them out from all the way over there, so we wait for them to get closer. We manage to pick off a few before they round the corner of the courtyard and escape our line of sight, which uses up the majority of our remaining ammunition. Their cries now louder than ever, we figure they're probably in the building. "We fight to the end!", he says. No disagreements here. While waiting for death to shamble up the stairs, we reminisce about how we first met - oh, it seems like only yesterday! We expend the rest of our ammo on the first few to climb the ladder, though there are many still filing up the stairs.

We back as far away from the entrance as we can and wait. Guns as empty as our stomachs (and my veins), we watch as the first zombie steps floor on the roof. The chat was unusually dead, so it wasn't hard to see the message in my peripheral vision - "Goodbye, battle-brother. We made a hell of a team." I turn my head as he takes a single step and leaps off the edge.

The rest, well, you can probably figure it out.

So do you need Arma 2 AND OA or will Arma 2 suffice?

Secondly when will this finish it's Alpha phase?..... thinking should I hold off till most of the bugs are ironed out?!.

• Advertisement

So do you need Arma 2 AND OA or will Arma 2 suffice?

Secondly when will this finish it's Alpha phase?..... thinking should I hold off till most of the bugs are ironed out?!.

You need both, the guy who makes it works for Bohemia. Its not a bad thing but i dont think its coincidental.

Without doubt the best and most promising mod ever made for any game ever.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/#more-107588

reckon this will shoot Arma 2 up the charts.

from Kotaku
    Save yourself $10 by just buying Operation Arrowhead, downloading/activating ARMA 2: Free, then doing a "Combined Operations Lite" install (basically running A2F as an OA mod).

url]www.arma2.com[/url
    [forums.bistudio.com]

Basically create a shortcut for OA that uses the following target, as an example:

C:\Games\ARMA2OA\arma2oa.exe -mod=C:\Games\ARMA2Free;expansion

An example for if the install directories have spaces in the names:

"C:\Games\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\arma2oa.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 Free;expansion"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tis in the Steam charts at number 7 atm. Was number 5 earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

spent a chunk on tonight, some features are quite cool, like being able to look over the dead bodies of fellow players to find out how they died.

Stumbled on to what was essentially a mass grave outside chernogorsk but they didnt get looted much so I was able to fill up on ammo for my pistol.

spent a good chunk sneaking around chernogorsk with another player I found, though we got misled by a coke machine (thought it was a light from a distance) currently on the very highest point of the factory but I have run out of water and my teammate had disapeared.

funniest part was there was this third guy sneaking around the city who were trying to meet up with but he fired his gun and all we saw was this swarm of undead running down the street to him.

it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Just back from an epic trip thru Chearnarus, Still alive tonight, hooked up with a steam buddy, really helps covering eachother and healing eachother. we are heading north looking for this fabled chopper.

The big problem at the moment:

'AWAITING SERVER RESPONSE'

All the servers connect to a master server that tracks your data.
    So many people are trying to play the Master server is just getting hammered.
    So from about 16.00 until 22.30 it was just impossible to join a game. but since then it has worked perfectly. The game has become a victim of its own success , so please god I hope they beef up the master server cause its killing us all trying to get in. 30 folks on a 50 player server just sat looking at this message. So its just to damn busy to play.

But this is Alpha of a mod of an old game that's been out for 2 weeks. The future is very very bright for this game, we all just got to have some patience while they catch up with demand.

There really is nothing like this out there so Ill live with it, very frustrating tho.

BTW- It will defiantly work with ARMA free downloaded thru steam and Operation Arrowhead, I got my friend running this way and its perfect.

Happy Zed hunting fellow survivors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

When guns are fired does the zombie AI move towards the player that fired the shot or the area in which the shot was fired? Would seem a good way to get ammo from other players "Give me 5 bullets or I will make a loud noise!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

If you fire a gun near a Zed, u will get rushed. Some guns better than others, pistol quiter than a rifle. I find the Winchester great stealthy gun, lots of ammo and plenty of punch. The Lee Enfield will attract Zombies from other servers its so loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Another awesome game last night where I met up with a guy in the middle of nowhere. We set off to Cherno where we meet another guy on our travels.

Running along the grass one of the guys noticed we were being followed and snuck off so he could get behind him. Sure enough a Bandit was tailing us but he killed him :pac:

Scary as shìt moving with others in the middle of the night and being paranoid you'll lose them.

Finally got to Cherno where it was bandit-central, made it to the Church where good supplies are but we started getting flanked. In the midst of darkness I lost the other guys and was slaughtered by bandits.

Imagine it like the destroyed city in Full Metal Jacket with the sniper that nobody could find as it picked them off one by one :)

So managed to get into a game last night and played it for a while (only about 30 minutes). My first impressions were that this is freaking awesome!

I started off on the coast, hearing the crashing waves and the sun beaming down on my cap. I was right beside an old factory. I Blatently started running around like a fool (forgetting almost all the key commands in ARMA) I heard two moans as I was heading into the factory, surely be as I heard them and I thought "oh fcuk", two zombies came running out. I downed one before he could get to me with my trusty Marakov, the second started laying into me like a scumbag outside Supermacs. A few well placed shots and he went down. I was bleeding so had to use one of the bandages, once healed I set off into the factory grounds). There wasn't much, just some scrap tin cans... disappointing.

I went outside the factory grounds from when I came in and saw another survivor. I was hesitant at first as I thought he might be a bandit, but I called out and he saw me but continued to run, sure as hell didn't like anyone slowing him down. I followed him anyway as I thought he (or maybe I) needed the backup just in case. We went into a supermarket where we scavenged, I let him have the first loot while I had a look around and saw a beauty of a Lee Enfield rifle just sitting there. I picked it up and I could see the jealousy in his eyes so he started running off.

Happy with my new weapon I took off from the supermarket only to realise I have no ammo for the damn thing. Slinging the rifle I took out my Marakov and took off into the town, keeping to the coast. I saw a church in the distance and thought it might be a good place to seek sanctuary and perhaps some supplies - oh how wrong I was...halfly.

I sneaked up to the Entrance of the Church, peeking inside I see two undead priests - one standing by the pillars and one sitting on the church benches. How ironic that his god hasn't answered his prayers and being a man of god himself. Standing up and taking aim I place well aimed headshots to bring them down, only realising i'v just awakened the rest of the horde! About 6 of them came rushing in from the front, two fcukers that were squatting and hopping and four normal zombies.

Tell you the truth, I was sh!tting myself. 6 zombies and all I have is some russian made pistol with two clips and a rifle with no ammo. I start firing wildly and take two down, one clip gone. I decide to fall back to the altar to gain some distance and take aim to fire. Miraculously I got all remaining 4 zed's with my last clip of ammo and I breathed a sigh of relief. Before doing anything else I close the church door so I don't have to worry about any more comming in. I scavenge and my eyes light up when I see a new rifle with ammo! :eek:

I drop my Lee Enfield and pick up this, it's a Winchester rifle and I have 45 rounds, I'm well chuffed with this. I drink some water and eat some pasta before grabbing more water and food and head off outside. I go deeper into the town, sticking to the shadows of the buildings and keeping low. If Nick Frost from 'Danger 50,000 volts' taught me anything about zombie survival it's 'Keep it low and keep it slow'

I see a zombie nearby, he's walking into a house so I decide to creep up on him. I sneak into the house and see him in the living room, probably reminiscing of what once was, I put this poor bugger out of his misery. Collapsed at his corpse I see something, I look close and find it's a god damn Sniper Rifle!! I throw my Winchester to the ground and pick up the beauty of a weapon. I have 10 rounds, 30 less ammo than the Winchester but it's a SNIPER RIFLE!

I have a further scavenge and find more Marakov ammo, thank god for communists! I find a watch and a compass, would you believe I got excited from just seeing a watch! I could tell what time it is and if it was going to be sundown soon. I get more bandages too so I'm well stocked before heading back out. As I head out I still think it's a good idea to keep to the coast, so I keep travelling along up the coast but close to the town as well.

I see a small dock up ahead with a huge crane. I thought it might be a good idea to climb the crane and keep a long vantage point so I can keep lookout for threats or other survivors. I climb the crane to the highest level and I have a huge view. I'm on lookout for a few minutes and I hear gunfire, panning around I spot two zombies running in one direction so I scope the rifle and see what's happening. I see one survivor, he shoots one zombie down before it reaches him. He starts reloading as the other zombie lays into him, I decided to take aim and try shoot the zombie - I missed :(

The guy reloads and managed to kill the zombie. Relaxing for what I consider a few moments, I started getting shot at. The guy must have thought I was trying to snipe him while the zombies were attacking him! I zoom in on the scope and see he's using his Lee Enfield rifle. I decide to take action before one of his bullets gets me and shoot. I get him in the leg and he starts bleeding, for a few moments he doesn't reappear. I keep the scope on the same area for a minute or two. I don't see him anymore so I resume my normal view until I notice him running off in the Distance up the coast. I stand up and take aim with the scope, seeing him almost enter the fog and I shoot. The bullet gets him in the shoulder and he drops like a sack of potatoes and dies :D

I stopped playing at this moment but this much excitement happened in about 30-40 minutes of gametime, looking forward to trying this again over the weekend. The game so far has captured a good the right atmosphere and actions of what a zombie apocalypse/zombie survival would be like, I do look forward and have high hopes for the future releases.

TL;DR: Awesome :D

• Advertisement

All these first hand expierinces are making me want to play this even more... only a few more hours before I join in the fun!

I hear that Arma has complicated controls so would it best to do say the training in arma II or is it easy enough to pick up that you can jump straight onto a server.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement