Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Since the server has to be reset every 6 hours anyway, is there a way to set the server time to about noon every restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

Major Update Pending: 1.7.0 The update will be named 1.7.0 to avoid confusion with the ArmA2 Patch 1.6)

A major update is pending, that will mainly affect the server side code. This will have a significant impact on player loading times and general stability of player saving. The system hasn't been tested at capacity however our testing has so far indicated loading times are reduced to being almost instant.

Servers will require the Beta patch to be installed (and therefore clients will also) prior to the rollout of ArmA2OA patch 1.61.

Initially, when 1.7.0 is released we will bring several servers online with this to test this new method at capacity levels, prior to rolling out across all Beta servers. Once 1.61 is released all servers will run the new system.

So time for everyone to update their clients to the Arma 2 beta patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

The system hasn't been tested at capacity however our testing has so far indicated loading times are reduced to being almost instant.

Music to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Since the server has to be reset every 6 hours anyway, is there a way to set the server time to about noon every restart?

They don't like that, messes up loot spawning and stuff

Jumping on now for a bit, is it taking a while for everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Let me know if you can't get in and I can kick it.

It's just stopping at the end of the retrieving data bar on the boards server & a few others ones I've tried. Might be updating it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Gaunty wrote: »
    So time for everyone to update their clients to the Arma 2 beta patch!

In getting ready for influx of "how do I update the game to beta", this is from the Boards DayZ group
    Follow the guide here or use the launcher as recommended by ArmA 2 vetern Kdjac with these settings.
    Kdjac wrote:
    You can still join non beta servers without any changes.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdjac/aluncger.jpg

For Steam versions it also works with @dayz\addons folder is inside the default OA folder.
    In the third image be sure to browse to the OA - Beta exe application

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241

I swear by this launcher, its perfect for Arma2.

I have the steam version and I personally just use the modline version i.e. edit the shortcut to OA beta.
    After installing the beta update the first time, it required just creating a short-cut, adding in a few lines of code and works with each alpha/beta update.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's just stopping at the end of the retrieving data bar on the boards server & a few others ones I've tried. Might be updating it or something.

The official site seems to be down? Might be related.

In getting ready for influx of "how do I update the game to beta", this is from the Boards DayZ group

I have the steam version and I personally just use the modline version i.e. edit the shortcut to OA beta.
    After installing the beta update the first time, it required just creating a short-cut, adding in a few lines of code and works with each alpha/beta update.

That first pic from kd showing the Arma II launcher (http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdjac/aluncger.jpg) was slightly different for me. Using the Steam versions also but I didn't need an Additional Addon directory, my @dayz\addons folder is inside the default OA folder.

One thing I forgot to do was Browse to the OA - Beta exe, not circled in his pic bottom right. :o Once I'd done that all worked great.

Cheers for additional info.

I've updated both posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This sounds like a great laugh. My PC isn't up to much gaming but will run the sys requirement lab on it when I get home. If my ATI 5650 radeon mobility, i5-480M 2.66GHz, and 3gb ram can run arma 2, I will definitely be getting it.

Just noticed on the offical forum there is another way of getting it work, might try this way myself and steam doesn't seem to recognise i'm ingame.
    Rocket wrote:
    [GUIDE] Simple Install Method (includes Beta)
    From Marek (CEO) on BI Forums:

While majority of users still prefer the old fashioned OFP style command line driven mod handling, there is also another way of doing it, using the in game expansions manager and documents settings. One real advantage of doing it that way is that it no longer matter from where you launch the game (be it steam, other version etc.). It makes clean installations also much simpler than messing within the game folder.

Example how I use the system:

* create DayZ folder in C:\Users\maruk\Documents\ArmA 2
    * create sub folder Addons there and download / extract files from http://www.armafiles.info/dayz/ to it
    * run the game (I use the latest beta from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php )
    * in the game go to the Expansions, select DayZ and click on Enable button, restart the game
    * now the mod is installed and I can play easily with it anytime (using beta, or normal steam version, or sprocket version)

For me personally it is simpler than toying with commandline options and interferring with game installation. I understand that everyone has different taste and that is why the original mod commandline is kept intact since 2002 I just thought some may simply not understand the more modern alternatives available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This sounds like a great laugh. My PC isn't up to much gaming but will run the sys requirement lab on it when I get home. If my ATI 5650 radeon mobility, i5-480M 2.66GHz, and 3gb ram can run arma 2, I will definitely be getting it.

5650 can be overclocked substantially with AMD GPU clock tool, stock it runs 450/700 but can run 750/950 (clock speed/memory speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Topsnakebite

Waiting until i finish work then i can play this but not for too long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Can't get on the boards server at all now. Just hangs on recieving data forever. Could get into it fine earlier. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Helmsman

"Barns really are the best place to look for weapons, with very little hassle. You'll generally only get 3-5 zombies, and there are loads of them around the place. Usually 3-4 loot spawns as well. Definitely a new players best friend."

Yes barns are great. Saved my life yesterday
    Spawned on the island and had to swim ashore. Lost my backpack . Made my way to the barn outside eclectro, low and behold a dead survivor with a large backpack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

OK, so I have jumped aboard the bandwagon, fired up my PC and bought ARM2 / CO on Steam. I downloaded the Dayz mod and after an hour's worth of tinkering and watching a few Youtube install guides, I got it all working.

Unfortunately, a lot of the servers are either full or my connection keeps hanging. A few servers were also set in night time, way too dark to do anything. I did manage to start 2 or 3 games and got a flavour of what the game is about, teamwork is where this one will really shine. Game design or lack thereof is where it's at. Would be nice if they keep on adding to the mod, for example allowing you to construct forts or outposts which you could fortify and use for some R+R. Mad Max with zombies if vehicles are brought into the mix? Some nice Easter eggs here and there would also spice things up. Zombie treasure hunt?

It will be interesting to see how this one evolves, it really has come out of nowhere.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I have Night Vision Goggles.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Topsnakebite

Seems the server is coop with only one player am I the only one seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I just can't get on. at all. it hangs on retreiving every time and it was working fine this morning. Am I the only one? if one of you is able to play at the moment could you please post here saying so? Driving me mental at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i am the same been waiting on server response for ages.. can't even find the boards server now.. gonna give up soon as can't be bothered waiting...its a cracking mod but the server side is really letting it down as its been like that for 3 days now almost..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Maximilian wrote: »

That is all.

lol, you won't be able to team up with any of us safely now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

That is all.

Do you need batteries for it?

Cant find the boards server ? is it down again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

That is all.

Where did you find them? I've checked about 15 deer stands and I've only found shotguns.

eurofoxy wrote: »
    i am the same been waiting on server response for ages.. can't even find the boards server now.. gonna give up soon as can't be bothered waiting...its a cracking mod but the server side is really letting it down as its been like that for 3 days now almost..

it was ok for me last night, bit of a wait to get in .
    but now its not even listed. is there any info. on this

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oldboyhammer

I reckon there should be an easier way of determining if the server is night or day. Every single server I've tried for the past hour has been a night one. It's not that I dislike the night but the last session I was in cut out on me and now I'm stuck in the castle. If I try to get out of there during the night I'm gonna run into a zombie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

restarted it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I reckon there should be an easier way of determining if the server is night or day. Every single server I've tried for the past hour has been a night one. It's not that I dislike the night but the last session I was in cut out on me and now I'm stuck in the castle. If I try to get out of there during the night I'm gonna run into a zombie. :(

Well all the EU/FR/UK ones will be night nnow (or almost night) while the US- based ones should be day.

Some servers are out of sync and mention this in the server name (e.g. UTC -6)

Here are some European servers which should be in day settings right now :

http://www.gametracker.com/search/arma2/600/?query=utc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 oldboyhammer

Ponster wrote: »
    Well all the EU/FR/UK ones will be night nnow (or almost night) while the US- based ones should be day.

That's what I thought too but nearly all of the US ones that I managed to get into were night ones unfortunately.

But not to worry, I got into the boards.ie server, which is currently day, and made a hasty retreat from the castle. Now I can rest easy knowing my character is safe... for now! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement