Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Got killed in starry by a guy I shoot 3 times in the head.

Shot his friend at the tents. (sniper)
    He killed Kirby.
    Shot him 3 times in the head while he was looting Kirby for the bullets not to register

Agrro'd some Zombies,ran to the supermarket and killed 28 of them,seen the guy creeping round the back through the window.
    Started watching the back door,just seen his pack and bang,im dead.
    Shot from behind. Must have been lagging,kirby was lagging most of the evening as well

Lost
    NV Google/s
    GPS
    DRM sniper (5 mags)
    M4A2 (i tihnk) with RDS and light+camo (4 mags)
    M9 silenced
    hatchet
    map
    matches
    entrenching tool
    + food and everything else

That's the last time i "lend" you my gear....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

waveform wrote: »
    Right lads, this thread could be crucial for people looking for a gain in performance in Arma 2 / DayZ mod:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62876152

The trick is to create a ramdisk, and put some key Arma 2 files in there, which are most commonly streamed from your harddrive.

Have a read off the thread, and be sure to check out the link to the main thread on the Bohemia Software forums.

There is also an extended thread, which shows which files are most read while playing the game.

In fairness thats for low end PCs and that post is quite old, when the game came out we all struggled to run but we upgraded and any New I5/7 will chew this game up. Dayz forces a view distance on you even tho mine is set on 10,000 and i have no issues running the game Arma 2 required a beast but nowadays its not a beast thats needed.

Arma 3 is going to make my pc cry.
    Hey guys, got banned for killing some guy in the debug forest. Didn't know what was going on, panicked when I saw all of the other players around me and fired a shot. I've certainly learned from my mistake, won't happen again. my ArmA II profile is Leopold Golgotha. Forgive and forget?

I banned you for that exact reason, no killing in the debug forest.

Unbanned, kinda lucky i didnt send it in to the master list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Hey guys, got banned for killing some guy in the debug forest. Didn't know what was going on, panicked when I saw all of the other players around me and fired a shot. I've certainly learned from my mistake, won't happen again. my ArmA II profile is Leopold Golgotha. Forgive and forget?

Killing in the debug forest?

cedL7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MagnificentWaz

I don't think its us you need to apologize too, there is a section on the DayZ forums for appealing bans, post there ;)

Sorry didn't know about that, thanks. :)
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    I banned you for that exact reason, no killing in the debug forest.

Unbanned, kinda lucky i didnt send it in to the master list.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Won't happen again I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Maximilian wrote: »
    That's the last time i "lend" you my gear....

Haha,you died and I said id hold onto your NV goggles for you,irish said it was the only thing he took aswell:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

First proper game tonight where I have lived for a few hours and got some decent gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone know where i could pick up a copy of the DVD version of this and Arrowhead ?

Because i can't find a copy on Amazon and i cant download 30gb of data.

Any help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

blobby360 wrote: »
    Anyone know where i could pick up a copy of the DVD version of this and Arrowhead ?

Any help ?

Got mine in CEX in the city centre, 2nd hand. There was definitely another two copies there ...but that was months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Any help ?

It's only sixteen gigs. :)

Kirby wrote: »
    It's only sixteen gigs. :)

Only 16 ?.......

It says on steam that Arma II is 10GB and Arrowhead is 20GB......

Are you sure ?
    Because if it is I'll just download it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Only 16 ?.......

It says on steam that Arma II is 10GB and Arrowhead is 20GB......

Are you sure ?
    Because if it is I'll just download it.

Exactly 15.1GB on Steam.

Exactly 15.1GB on Steam.

I think i'll be downloading combined operations tonight then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

dreamers75 wrote: »
    In fairness thats for low end PCs and that post is quite old, when the game came out we all struggled to run but we upgraded and any New I5/7 will chew this game up. Dayz forces a view distance on you even tho mine is set on 10,000 and i have no issues running the game Arma 2 required a beast but nowadays its not a beast thats needed.

Give it a go anyway and see if it raises your FPS.

The guy who came up with the idea was running an i7 @ 4Ghz, 12GB DDR-12800, and most importantly of all in this case, he was using an SSD HDD and it still wasn't smooth enough!

Thats hardly a low end system even by todays standards.

I'm not sure exactly by how much of a % the games performance has improved since then, but I bet this should still make a noticeable difference even with the latest patch.

The exact same principle applies today,
    having the most read / streamed game files available in RAM is going to be ridiculously faster than reading them from your hard drive, in game.

And should certainly help with people who want to use FRAPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Me and Lav were on UK7 earlier,I'd just spawned in when over the comms came something like this

I bug out to a different server and bandage+morphine,we both come back in and Lav gives me a blood transfusion and I do the same for him (he had two)
    Got killed in starry by a guy I shoot 3 times in the head.

Shot his friend at the tents. (sniper)
    He killed Kirby.
    Shot him 3 times in the head while he was looting Kirby for the bullets not to register

Lost
    NV Google/s
    GPS
    DRM sniper (5 mags)
    M4A2 (i tihnk) with RDS and light+camo (4 mags)
    M9 silenced
    hatchet
    map
    matches
    entrenching tool
    + food and everything else

So you used a bug to save yourself and another bug gets your killed?

there IS justice in the world afterall! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oldboyhammer

Damn. Picked up a winchester, lots of ammo & some extra cans of beans. Running low on water, I managed to sneak into a town full of zombies and get some water from a well. Made it back out without firing a single shot. Made my way into the forest and saw a deer stand up ahead.

BANG!!!! Got killed by a bandit. I'm having the worst luck in this game. I keep getting killed by bandits. Ah well, I don't mind that so much but spawning back on the coast again & again & again is getting slightly repetitive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Damn. Picked up a winchester, lots of ammo & some extra cans of beans. Running low on water, I managed to sneak into a town full of zombies and get some water from a well. Made it back out without firing a single shot. Made my way into the forest and saw a deer stand up ahead.

BANG!!!! Got killed by a bandit. I'm having the worst luck in this game. I keep getting killed by bandits. Ah well, I don't mind that so much but spawning back on the coast again & again & again is getting slightly repetitive. :(

I wish there was random spawns. I'm sick of ending up on the coast aswell...

And these constant location resets are really pissing me off... As well as the face that you cannot just decide to play for an hour. Because you end up waiting for 30 minutes for it to load etc. Looking forward to a non buggy 1.7 update...

Although, this is an Alpha so complaining is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Had my first game teaming up with boardsies last night. It was also the first game where I had decent communication with collaborators.

Damn it was fun. The strategising really turns up to 11 when you're in a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Helmsman

yeah I like to stay out of the large towns, to full of trigger happy teens.
    this to me is a survival game, live of the land, drop in to the towns when its absolutely necessary for ammo. Live as long as you can. there should be an incentive or a bonus for the longest lived.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Castle Zed. I had no idea there was so much loot there !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Had a pretty epic moment on this last night.

I spawned in Kamenka and just wanted to grab supplies and head North right away, there were tonnes of z's though. I decided that instead of slowly sneaking past them, I'd weave my way around them and if I attracted any of them, I'd lure them to a building and kill them all.

I managed to kill a bandit pretty early so had a good bit of ammo for the makarov. Anyway I'm doing this for a while, dropping around 40 z's and end up near some shed North of Cherno.

There's about 7 z's coming at me and my gun runs out of ammo. So I see a supermarket in the distance and decide to head there and see if I can find some ammo.

I run to the storage area of the store and don't see any ammo and now I have around 10-15 zombies filing through the open door at the back.

Out of nowhere, one of the other back doors opens, a survivor comes in with a shotgun and starts gunning them all down, allowing me to get ammo from the main part of the store. He dropped bandages and painkillers for me and gave me a transfusion, all without zero communication.

It definitely restored my faith a little bit after being killed by everyone I'd seen over the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Had my first game teaming up with boardsies last night. It was also the first game where I had decent communication with collaborators.

Damn it was fun. The strategising really turns up to 11 when you're in a team.
    Me too. Was loads of fun teaming up with everyone, and there's definitely safety in numbers.

On the way up to Stary Sobor earlier in the day i dropped into a village to loot a barn and refil my water bottle (was running low as i'd been running so much).

Ran into a barn, but i managed to aggro a zombie which i despatched with my winchester... but they kept coming and coming! I wasn't sure if they'd stop before i ran out of ammo! Anyway, they eventually did and i got my water then went into a house to loot it. Was about to exit the house but decided to look behind the door.... found a Ghilie suit! (it's a lifesaver, read on...)

Met up with the boardsies in Novy Sobor and we went to loot the army camp in Stary. There we found loads of good guns. I managed to get myself an M16 with M203 grenade launcher (with grenades) :)

The server needed a restart, so when waiting for everyone to reconnect we moved to the woods overlooking the army camp.

I was prone next to VTI who was kneeling looking at the camp. I saw a survivor walking up towards VTI from the left.

I assumed he was one of us, but then i noticed he had a black character face (which i hadn't noticed on any of our group before).

I was about to call for an ID check on mumble when he started unloading his gun into the side of VTI's head!

He was only about 4 metres from me, but he must not have noticed me thanks to the ghilie suit. I quickly spun around and plugged him. Summary justice for the sneaky bandit!

Later on we found a crashed helicopter, but it didn't contain loot (or rather it was bugged!)

Good times.... looking forward to more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oldboyhammer

Helmsman wrote: »
    this to me is a survival game, live of the land, drop in to the towns when its absolutely necessary for ammo. Live as long as you can. there should be an incentive or a bonus for the longest lived.

I was over on the West side of the map where there are not many ponds/lakes so I had to use well in one of the smaller villages. But yeah I got killed out in the middle of nowhere on my way to a Deer Hut.

I don't really mind getting killed by bandits, although it is slightly annoying that every single person I've met so far has killed me. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Helmsman wrote: »

1 xp per day survived, which you could put into some attribute like bravery (less prone to shaky-screen fear), stamina (Run longer, need less food and water), health (less prone to infections, slightly slower bloodloss), something like that? I'd be totally against anything that made it harder for players or zombies to kill anyone though, it'd ruin the gritty survival aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Last one for a while. As you can expect, everything goes to **** within the first few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i would love to get involved with the boardsies, my current group is 4-8 people on at different times. My only problem is i cant be trusted :(

I just love murdering people so much :(

jaggeh wrote: »
    i would love to get involved with the boardsies, my current group is 4-8 people on at different times. My only problem is i cant be trusted :(

You're welcome to get involved. But the only way to do so is to be in the Mumble chat.

We kill anyone we see who isn't in the mumble chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kerryairsofter

How do i get the label and address for the mumble ?

How do i get the label and address for the mumble ?

Join the Dayz Group, Mumble info is in there.

As well as some handy guides/links etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=320

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kerryairsofter

Korvanica wrote: »
    Join the Dayz Group, Mumble info is in there.

As well as some handy guides/links etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=320

Oh right sound but boards wont let me join the group because i dont have enough posts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

jaggeh wrote: »

Seen you on the boards server last night i think. Shoulda called over to me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement