Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

VinLieger wrote: »
    Dude, Rockets doing it for free in his own time, he doesnt owe you anything, give him a break. It will be ready when its ready and if you dont like the way the files are being distributed dont play it, or just dont upgrade yet theres still servers running the previous version

Emmmm,
    1. If he's still only working on this in his spare time, Bohemia Interactive are insane
    2. Saying that the update distribution is pants isn't the same as saying that the whole team are bastards because it's pants
    3. A monkey could make a better update system than what's currently in place, even if it is alpha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I love the sense of entitlement on here

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

It has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement. It's perfectly reasonable to point out that updating DayZ is a pain. That's not the same as saying it should be priority one for the dev team.

I do know that if I was running Bohemia Interactive, I'd put one of my GUI team to work on an update client. The current system could be putting people off / losing them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its an Alpha! the whole point of an Alpha is to release fixes as quickly and easily as possible and take feedback and bug reports :confused:

Villain wrote: »
    Its an Alpha! the whole point of an Alpha is to release fixes as quickly and easily as possible and take feedback and bug reports :confused:

Exactly its an aplha and things arent working perfectly yet and one of those is the way the files are being released, im sure they are aware of it but whats the point in people continuously going on about it on here? if youve got a problem write a bug report and stop whining somewhere its never gonna be read by people working on the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Jesus christ. The amount of heartache with this 1.7 update.
    Myself and my clan have not been able to play almost at all.

"Retrying to Authenticate" and the game simply just hangs when "loading".

All of a sudden people are starting to suggest patching the beta files and **** but I've a feeling that that is a new **** up waiting to happen.

Has anyone else simply just updated to 1.7 and logged in as normal with no problem?

Exactly its an aplha and things arent working perfectly yet and one of those is the way the files are being released, im sure they are aware of it but whats the point in people continuously going on about it on here? if youve got a problem write a bug report and stop whining somewhere its never gonna be read by people working on the game
    I have emailed the dev that sent me the mission file etc, you are obviously are missing the whole idea of an Alpha and how not making updates easily available is more important than fixing anything else

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

KoKane wrote: »
    Has anyone else simply just updated to 1.7 and logged in as normal with no problem?

Me. I updated a few days after it was launched, and have had no issues at all. I've also got the Arma 2 beta patch installed, and it's all worked perfectly for me.

Villain wrote: »
    I have emailed the dev that sent me the mission file etc, you are obviously are missing the whole idea of an Alpha and how not making updates easily available is more important than fixing anything else

No im not but you obviously have forgotten that this game exploded a month and a half ago and up until then, whatever anyones says about it now, he was deffinitely working on it himself and the demand of so many new players, as well as press attention etc maybe he just hasnt had a chance to fix this particular issue, hes probably been concentrating on getting the game working and fixing the connection issues which imo are the main problems that needs to be addressed.
    Yes distribution is pretty awful but this isnt a high end alpha being run by an entire studio.

No im not but you obviously have forgotten that this game exploded a month and a half ago and up until then, whatever anyones says about it now, he was deffinitely working on it himself and the demand of so many new players, as well as press attention etc maybe he just hasnt had a chance to fix this particular issue, hes probably been concentrating on getting the game working and fixing the connection issues which imo are the main problems that needs to be addressed.
    Yes distribution is pretty awful but this isnt a high end alpha being run by an entire studio.
    Rocket isn't working on it on his own at least 2 other people have sent me mission files etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

@VinLieger, You do make a good point about the bitching and moaning but you have to realize that bitching and moaning is absolutely required for all parties, both end user and development, to gain absolute clarity in the product at hand.

The notoriety this game gained in such an extremely short span of time is a major hindrance for the devs but hindrance in the context of moving forward at a very quick tempo, which I'm positive BI are incredibly proud and excited about. As other people here have stated, even in alpha release, it has gained insurmountable blocks of cash.

Many many software companies either create or contract solid installer wrappers and updaters for the clients that is of absolute minimal cost, whether it be time or development cost. IMO, both methods of pushing files to us is piss poor as they don't guarantee push functionality. That right there can alienate clients in a very delicate stage of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I got the missing file by joining a server and taking it from my cache :confused:

Normally in arma a mod is released and posted into the mods section on BI forums. Then any updates are posted and the 1st thread updated to reflect these changes. From that users can get the new files and the author can answer any queries that may arise. Even if its "how do i install mods" or i " i am receiving an X error" and most importantly has a readme that contains information.

Dayz has exploded in popularity and its success is based on people paying decent money to host servers with very strict rules. We pay for the server and abide by the rules. But finding it very difficult to update the server due to obtaining the files and certain information regarding the Hive.

I have only seen a readme with the 1st version of Dayz i downloaded, the server guide is now outdated and obsolete.

Im not bitching about something thats free cos its sort of not, i am bitching about how the updates are rolled out and the server admins updated with any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I got the missing file by joining a server and taking it from my cache :confused:

So you can update the boards server to 1.7 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I'd rather have this game in its current format, warts and all, than a slick auto installer from EA or Activision any day....

Years ago gaming was like this all the time. You had to jump through hoops to get things sorted and get playing.

The end prize was amazing though, just like Dayz is now!!!

TheFairy wrote: »
    I'd rather have this game in its current format, warts and all, than a slick auto installer from EA or Activision any day....

Years ago gaming was like this all the time. You had to jump through hoops to get things sorted and get playing.

The end prize was amazing though, just like Dayz is now!!!

There already is an auto-installer, a few of them actually.

Personally, I don't mind all the work updating it all the time, but it can be an annoyance, and I wouldn't mind if it was just click a button and a minute later it has been updated to the fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tigerballs

Guys
    How do you set up the Arma beta patch to run combined ops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

There already is an auto-installer, a few of them actually.

Personally, I don't mind all the work updating it all the time, but it can be an annoyance, and I wouldn't mind if it was just click a button and a minute later it has been updated to the fullest.

Link to an installer created by guy in Bohemia Team - http://cdn.armafiles.info/installer/dwarden-simpler-installers/
    NSIS installer for DayZ 1.6.0.1 done by Dwarden, Community and Online Distribution Manager of Bohemia Interactive
    note: installer was quick job w/o any warranty, use on own risk,
    simple shortcuts on desktop one for OA 1.60 and one for OA 1.61 beta engine

IRC://irc.gamesurge.net/DayZ

VISIT IRC.GAMESURGE.NET CHANNEL #DAYZ
    tigerballs wrote: »
    Guys
    How do you set up the Arma beta patch to run combined ops?

You could do a search of this thread, check the DayZ group or check this post :rolleyes:

Thats the thing tho, piece of piss for players to update just drag and drop PBOs. No issue with that at all. Its obtaining the server files and the information required thats the issue.

We still missing info in relation to the new @hive addon. Villain checking it out so cant update until then.

I know about all the installers, I just don't like them as they take too long.
    They seem to download every single file and not just the one that has been updated, so I find it quicker to just download the code file that is usually updated and drag and drop into the folder rather than wait for the updater to install every file again even if they aren't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sools

When you update to 1.7 is there any nice group stuff going on that I can join in on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

Torrents are they way for me.

Nicely zipped DL's that puke out nice folders cleanly :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've ordered the following excellent product. A perfect accompaniment to DayZ and its many threads and arguments.

salt_anger_large.jpg?3847

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i only ask about 1.7 because i have updated the beta patch and to 1.7 and its working fine on other servers, but for me to play on boards ill have to re-install Arma from scratch :/

jaggeh wrote: »
    i only ask about 1.7 because i have updated the beta patch and to 1.7 and its working fine on other servers, but for me to play on boards ill have to re-install Arma from scratch :/

The boards server is still on 1.6.

jaggeh wrote: »

Create another folder called @dayz16 and place all but Dayz.code.pbo into it. Get the 1.6 pbo and place it into.

Then just switch, see i know this cos i have it set like this on the server whilst we await access to the Secret Society of 1.7 Server Admins.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Create another folder called @dayz16 and place all but Dayz.code.pbo into it. Get the 1.6 pbo and place it into.

Then just switch, see i know this cos i have it set like this on the server whilst we await access to the Secret Society of 1.7 Server Admins.

problem is with the beta patch :/

just hangs on connecting

The boards server is still on 1.6.

i know..... thats why i asked when it would be updated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I can't make any progress with this game. I either get killed, run from the coast only to get killed minutes later, or like just now I stocked up on stuff in Cherno and on my way out into the forest I get shot....

It's just frustrating to spend ages crawling through a town avoiding zeds in order to get supplies only to get shot by bandits when trying to get the hell out of dodge.

Ponster wrote: »
    I can't make any progress with this game. I either get killed, run from the coast only to get killed minutes later, or like just now I stocked up on stuff in Cherno and on my way out into the forest I get shot....

It's just frustrating to spend ages crawling through a town avoiding zeds in order to get supplies only to get shot by bandits when trying to get the hell out of dodge.

the trick is to just get the hell out of dodge first, stock up at lonely barns and hunting stands.

Theres plenty of places to stock up off the beaten track, then hit up one of the inland towns with a church or supermarket if you can handle it.

:)

• Advertisement

I find Vybor is a good, fairly quiet town.
    It can be hard to get into as lots of zombies roam the outskirts, but its pretty quiet once you're in the centre.
    There is a school there, and a Grocery store, and lots of enter-able houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement