Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Keep running in and out of buildings until they stop coming, for whatever reason, because breaking LOS does not f'ing work. /rant

I think you need to close the door behind you as you enter the building to break off their LOS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I find the best way to get rid of the new zombies is to shoot them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From @dayzdevteam
    Infected behavior a focus for the next hotfix. Particularly their hearing, issue is causing them to detect players from long distances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I find the best way to get rid of the new zombies is to shoot them. :pac:

With what? The flashlight? :D

*spams L button* God damnit! WHY WONT YOU DIE ZOMBIE!

Actually was in Kamenka and was skulking around by the small dock, went into the little cabin there to grab a Marakov I saw through the door. Didn't see anything else until I turned around and saw a survivor huddled in the corner, probably scared sh!tless (I had a double barrel shotgun). He just aimed his flashlight at me and started turning it on and off. I left him alone but as I was leaving he just collapsed on the floor from blood loss and died.

Edit: Probably was trying to signal to me he was bleeding, he was so huddled in the corner I couldn't see the blood splurting out

With what? The flashlight? :D

Good point! Best not to die so (says the one who died in a nasty bus explosion, not blaming the driver at all...). ;)

@Villain: That increased hearing explains a lot - running through a forest and all of a sudden two zombies appear out of nowhere. Losing them in a forest using that LOS lark doesn't really work either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

LOS might be working, but with their super hearing they just reacquire you instantly again?

Wossack wrote: »
    LOS might be working, but with their super hearing they just reacquire you instantly again?

Yeah that could be it alright. I ran for a bit to see if I could lose them behind trees like someone mentioned, didn't work so just turned and shot them. Maybe I needed to stop directly behind a tree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After i died for the first time in a while last night, i quickly died 3 times in succession. The new zombie hearing, along with the lack of starter weapon, makes it almost impossible. On my 4th try, I did manage to get to the firestation in Elektro and get an m16, but i ran out of bullets and logged out with 6k blood.

Also, the new crawler animation is fupping creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

http://twitter.com/dayzdevteam/status/215378366411452416
    Major bug quashed with next update in the line-of-sight checking, infected perform much better - look forward to the hotfix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Played some of this last night (on one of the UK servers), ended up running into another survivor who was being chased by zombies.

Started to run in the opposite direction where I came across a small ladder leading up to a small metal "tower".

I was there for a few minutes when another survivor found me, I screamed at him in Direct Communication voice chat to run, because there zombies following him, but he got surrounded and died :(

The server then crashed a few minutes after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Rocket and his crew need to take a step back and plan their updates a bit better.
    Updates almost daily recently with a few hotfixes thereafter.
    Its getting silly now as we have servers running many different versions.
    The best version so far imo is 1.7.0, everything since is a mess.
    Ofcourse its an alpha and all that but the last few updates have made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dcully wrote: »
    Rocket and his crew need to take a step back and plan their updates a bit better.
    Ofcourse its an alpha and all that but the last few updates have made things worse.

Testing the updates for a half an hour before releasing them would have been nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Dcully wrote: »
    IMO, he should do a weekly release, with nightlies leading up to each release, playable on some servers for testing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Testing the updates for a half an hour before releasing them would have been nice too.

He does test them, but only with himself and one or two other people on the team. So a lot of the bugs don't appear until put in front of a couple of thousand people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

He does test them, but only with himself and one or two other people on the team. So a lot of the bugs don't appear until put in front of a couple of thousand people.

Why not do a eve online style mass test on 1/2 servers then im sure plenty of players would be more than willing to test the new builds before wider scale deployment after alll its basicly what we are doing now

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

On the grander scale of this thing, isnt this the whole reason we're here?

I know its annoying and it is rather cliche but this is still an alpha release lol *awaits the flames* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

_vti wrote: »

I know its annoying and it is rather cliche but this is still an alpha release lol *awaits the flames* :P

you sir have been flamed...
    Good day.. *Tips hat* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

you sir have been flamed...
    Good day.. *Tips hat* :pac:
    We all are the testers tbh, its easy enough to roll back as well, boards server is on 1.7.1.4 at moment so Zombies hear you easily but hey just shoot them :)

_vti wrote: »

To be fair this is true, if Rocket doesn't have alot of help with the QA testing, we the audience, playing a Alpha version game help take the brunt of the testing as ultimately having as many people play the game (in the thousands) and covering as many scenarios as possible and reporting defects via the forums than a very small few people testing is alot more viable. Why have players play Beta versions of soon-to-be released games then?

you'd swear this was a fully released mod. If people are getting butthurt over it then wait as long as it takes until the mod is released has passed and finalised development and testing.

To be fair this is true, if Rocket doesn't have alot of help with the QA testing, we the audience, playing a Alpha version game help take the brunt of the testing as ultimately having as many people play the game (in the thousands) and covering as many scenarios as possible and reporting defects via the forums than a very small few people testing is alot more viable. Why have players play Beta versions of soon-to-be released games then?

you'd swear this was a fully released mod. If people are getting butthurt over it then wait as long as it takes until the mod is released has passed and finalised development and testing.

Think when theres such a high cost with bug related death some people kinda forget the whole "alpha" part of the process kinda understandable

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    Think when theres such a high cost with bug related death some people kinda forget the whole "alpha" part of the process kinda understandable

I know, it's probably because the mod has basically exploded in popularity and it's attention in the media that a proportion of players 'assume' this is fully released game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Villain wrote: »
    We all are the testers tbh, its easy enough to roll back as well, boards server is on 1.7.1.4 at moment so Zombies hear you easily but hey just shoot them :)

Does the Boards server currently require the beta - if so which one?
    I haven't got to play in a while so unsure!

I'm just updating the Boards Dayz Group with server details (and payment details ;))

My opinion on that is we're playing the game for free so live with the issues (as annoying as they might be to some). Folk are free not to play it until they're happy that a particular patch level is relatively safe, not like we're paying a monthly sub.

@balkie: Patch 93825 I think.

I think that most people here realise that it's an alpha and realise that rocket don't perhaps have a whole team of testers available to check out a hotfix before it's realised to the public. But people are disappointed that some of the side-effects of the hotfixes are so obvious that it's hard to see how they were missed?

Rocket claims that 1.7.1.3 got 6 hours of testing by his team yet no one noticed that zeds came running from miles away at the smallest of sounds or movements ?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    My opinion on that is we're playing the game for free so live with the issues (as annoying as they might be to some). Folk are free not to play it until they're happy that a particular patch level is relatively safe, not like we're paying a monthly sub.

@balkie: Patch 93825 I think.

Fully accept that however when something simple(?) like haveing a few servers willing to run a new test build for genuine players who understand this entire game is a test rocket/the dev team would avoid some hostility from the perhaps large percentage of the community who dont relise what an alpha is.

Personaly it doesnt concern me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rabhimself86

Is the server time screwed up? My in game watch shows something like 0045, at noon.

Someone is shooting in the distance, and I'm alone in the dark.

I'm scared. Hold me!

Also, I think that they should stop putting new things in Hotfixes.

Emergency patches should only resolve the issues introduced in previous patches and that's all.

1.7.1.1 had a problem where food wasn't spawning so they released 1.7.1.2 to fix this and it did.
    What they shouldn't have done (IMHO) is to include the Melee Weapon in this hotfix, which was bugged and then required 1.7.7.3 and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Imo they should shut down the alpha leave it running at a stable version, then enter closed beta testing and release it the next version as a beta.

Fully accept that however when something simple(?) like haveing a few servers willing to run a new test build for genuine players who understand this entire game is a test rocket/the dev team would avoid some hostility from the perhaps large percentage of the community who dont relise what an alpha is.

Personaly it doesnt concern me tbh

Same as myself. The only issue that irritated me was back when we used to get those "waiting for server response" delays - but that was just me being impatient wanting to get in and play this brilliant game. :pac:

I mainly only play on the boards server and thankfully villain and kd have the right attitude regarding updates. I'm happy to play and live with the consequences or sit it out until something important is fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Imo they should shut down the alpha leave it running at a stable version, then enter closed beta testing and release it the next version as a beta.

I was thinking about that too but I bet they are in the same frame of mind when BF3 was in closed alpha. There were SO many ideas from the devs floating around the alpha forum they kept putting it off to test their ideas.

Given the amount of inadvertent bugs that are being generated from ideas, such as the zombies LOS and the recent vehicle bugs, are whats keeping the devs from moving this on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement