Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

MadYaker wrote: »
    I thought we were supposed to spawn with guns???? I played on the boards server there and tbh I don't think game is that great. You start with nothing useful and I spent about an hour searching all these houses for a gun but all i found was ammo and f*cking empty cans. Im on the edge of a massive city infested with zombies and i crawl around trying to be a quiet as possible so they dont notice me. Eventually one saw me so i ran into a large house where i got killed by about 10 zombies and there absolutely nothing I could do to defend myself. I had found an axe in a barn beforehand but that can't be used as a weapon.... WHY NOT????? I didn't see one other survivor either.

Count yourself lucky not to have seen another survivor...they probably would have shot you on sight.

Tip; if you do get spotted by a zed and you dont have a weapon, run into a building with more than 1 entrance/exit, the zeds will chase you in, then you can run out of the other door and break the line of sight.

Check the white barns for guns, or head north.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

MadYaker wrote: »
    .... I had found an axe in a barn beforehand but that can't be used as a weapon.... WHY NOT????? I didn't see one other survivor either.

The hatchet can be used as a weapon. You need to open up your gear, right click on the hatchet and select "remove from toolbelt". Provided you have no main weapon equipped it should go straight on. You do need to reload it before using though,......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wire fence can be removed with a tool box.

Yeah I'd heard that and tried it but couldn't get the option to do it. People also seem to love placing tank barriers at the base of the tower in the firestations.

How do I know which way is north? Can I use the sun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

Yeah I'd heard that and tried it but couldn't get the option to do it. People also seem to love placing tank barriers at the base of the tower in the firestations.

Yeah its pretty tough to find the right spot to use it to remove. I read that you need to aim at the metal poles to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Aar0n

Hey just wanted to introduce myself, there's some new guys in town.

Firstly thank you very much for this server, we never had one to call home base.

I'm usually playing with two others who live round the corner from me,

Varik wrote: »
    Found a fully working motorbike hidden in a tree north of the NW airfield, much later i got shot at while on the bike by some guys at a helicopter.

If it was the same guys then i heard their day didn't go so well after that ( or it was the boards lads shooting at me).

Seen this and thought, that's very familiar, it might have been us shooting at you. North of stary. Our day didn't go so well, we all died at novy sobor holding loot from two crash sites, I had a bizon sd, dmr and silenced m9.

We now have two tractors, Lucutus and FuzzyDunlop might remember something about that.... I believe you're hanging about with a filthy disconnector, but that's just what my friend said. What's up with that base location? I have a few theories about that, it's got to be a temporary base and you pack everything up at night right? or its all the stuff looted from your kills at the AF from one day. I reckon it's all one big trap.

Tractors are hilarious, you can call us The Tractor Boys.

Sorry for ruining your kill streak Boru, but you shot my friend. Nice GPS, never had one before.

Looking forward to future encounters, cya in the wilderness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Aar0n wrote: »
    We now have two tractors, Lucutus and FuzzyDunlop might remember something about that.... I believe you're hanging about with a filthy disconnector, but that's just what my friend said. What's up with that base location? I have a few theories about that, it's got to be a temporary base and you pack everything up at night right? or its all the stuff looted from your kills at the AF from one day. I reckon it's all one big trap.

Tractors are hilarious, you can call us The Tractor Boys.

Sorry for ruining your kill streak Boru, but you shot my friend. Nice GPS, never had one before.

Looking forward to future encounters, cya in the wilderness!

That whole post sounded very... fishy.
    There is no reason for you to be thinking about our camp unless you have intentions of robbing us blind.

You can call us The "Every Other Vehicle on the Server Boys" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Aar0n wrote: »

Thank you for killing the top scorer on the server, making me number one, if just for a little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Had my first proper game last night, and I really learned my lesson..never ever trust anybody.

Started off by the coast, and decided to head inland for a while. I was moving for around an hour or so..checking out buildings from a distance to see how many Z's were around..I just couldn't go near most of them as there was usually Z's around them..and me being without a weapon..would have just been too risky.

I was hoping I would find a quite barn or a lookout post with some water and a weapon. At this stage my water bottle was flashing, and I began losing blood. Then suddenly I seen movement, a survivor. I had nothing on me, so I walked out into the open and told him I'm friendly..he was too, or so it seemed.

He was also short on water, and seemed desperate, he kept saying he was going to die. He had a big back pack on him, with an ak47 and a pistol..so he could have shot me pretty easily. He said he was trying to get to his friends who had water..and he said I could follow..so I did.

After a few minutes he said he was badly in need of a transfusion..so he told me he had blood in his bag, and asked if I could give him one. We then went on a bit further..he killed a few cows and asked if I could carry some meat as his bag was full. I carried some, he seemed friendly enough..so I just went with it.

Then we were running, when somebody shot at us. A sniper, who was prone in the grass had a pop at us...we shouted "FRIENDLY"..and he just left us alone and told us to go away. It was pretty weird.

If I had a weapon, I would have killed both of them btw, but seeing as I had nothing..I just had to go with the flow. I didn't really see why they would bother killing me too..seeing as I had basically nothing.

Eventually we found his friends, who gave me some coke and some food. They seemed cool...then all of a sudden they started getting really weird, and kind of surrounding me. At this stage I was freaked..I knew I needed to get out of there, but I had nowhere to go...I was screwed.

BAM, I'm dead....I saved this guys life with a blood transfusion..and he just shot me.

I will never trust a survivor in this game ever again.

It's so epic!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Had my first proper game last night, and I really learned my lesson..never ever trust anybody.

Started off by the coast, and decided to head inland for a while. I was moving for around an hour or so..checking out buildings from a distance to see how many Z's were around..I just couldn't go near most of them as there was usually Z's around them..and me being without a weapon..would have just been too risky.

I was hoping I would find a quite barn or a lookout post with some water and a weapon. At this stage my water bottle was flashing, and I began losing blood. Then suddenly I seen movement, a survivor. I had nothing on me, so I walked out into the open and told him I'm friendly..he was too, or so it seemed.

He was also short on water, and seemed desperate, he kept saying he was going to die. He had a big back pack on him, with an ak47 and a pistol..so he could have shot me pretty easily. He said he was trying to get to his friends who had water..and he said I could follow..so I did.

After a few minutes he said he was badly in need of a transfusion..so he told me he had blood in his bag, and asked if I could give him one. We then went on a bit further..he killed a few cows and asked if I could carry some meat as his bag was full. I carried some, he seemed friendly enough..so I just went with it.

Then we were running, when somebody shot at us. A sniper, who was prone in the grass had a pop at us...we shouted "FRIENDLY"..and he just left us alone and told us to go away. It was pretty weird.

If I had a weapon, I would have killed both of them btw, but seeing as I had nothing..I just had to go with the flow. I didn't really see why they would bother killing me too..seeing as I had basically nothing.

Eventually we found his friends, who gave me some coke and some food. They seemed cool...then all of a sudden they started getting really weird, and kind of surrounding me. At this stage I was freaked..I knew I needed to get out of there, but I had nowhere to go...I was screwed.

BAM, I'm dead....I saved this guys life with a blood transfusion..and he just shot me.

They were right to kill you so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

they used you as a pack mule by the sounds of it lol

Andrew76 wrote: »
    They were right to kill you so. :pac:

Yeah they were...I just had nothing like, so I really just had to go with it.

I just knew when he told me to fill my bag with meat, that I was probably done for. I needed water really badly though, and probably wouldn't have found some by myself in time..so I had to trust him!

When he was running in front of me, I just wished I had a gun to shoot him with!..He had some nice gear I could have done with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Yeah they were...I just had nothing like, so I really just had to go with it.

I just knew when he told me to fill my bag with meat, that I was probably done for. I needed water really badly though, and probably wouldn't have found some by myself in time..so I had to trust him!

When he was running in front of me, I just wished I had a gun to shoot him with!..He had some nice gear I could have done with :D

after the sniper attack you should have asked him for his pistol and he could use his ak.. then shoot him in the back of the head and take his ak....simples...but really cruel....

i had a good laugh in cherno last night sniping from afar...really funny to watch people strafe some shots...

Any tips on how to go about finding weapons when you first spawn?...Any building I go near has Z's around it, it's so hard to get in and out without getting spotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Any tips on how to go about finding weapons when you first spawn?...Any building I go near has Z's around it, it's so hard to get in and out without getting spotted!

don't worry too much about being spotted by z's around buildings, as you can just run in let them come in a bit then run out, if you do it right they will stay in the building...
    best places for guns are barns and hay barns.. be careful of guns like lee enfield, as its nick name is the dinner bell, you will attract every z for miles..

the quickest but most dangerous way to get gear is to head to cherno/electro as they are the bigger cities, on the outskirts of both are loads of barns which will have plenty of gear/guns.. but its also the most populated area for both z's and bandits so be careful...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I found a cross bow last night was delighted as it was a silent killer I got one arrow but for the life of me I could not shoot the bloody thing. I loaded the arrow and it appeared in the crossbow I could aim it but when i press to shoot i got the "gun empty" click sound.

Quickly got eaten by Zac and lost it again, back to the coast with my flashlight grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

eurofoxy wrote: »
    don't worry too much about being spotted by z's around buildings, as you can just run in let them come in a bit then run out, if you do it right they will stay in the building...
    best places for guns are barns and hay barns.. be careful of guns like lee enfield, as its nick name is the dinner bell, you will attract every z for miles..

the quickest but most dangerous way to get gear is to head to cherno/electro as they are the bigger cities, on the outskirts of both are loads of barns which will have plenty of gear/guns.. but its also the most populated area for both z's and bandits so be careful...

No the best place for guns is the military tents, you wont find assault rifles in barns, however for starting out yes barns are ok

As a new player myself - some tips.

Have a map open. If you really want to go PURE survivor mode then don't - fine, but I chose to think that if this was RL - I would have some knowledge of the area so I justify having a map open on my second monitor / phone.

Find out where you are - when you spawn for the very first time the game will tell you. Use this information!

Make a choice

As has been said - either throw caution to the wind and hit the cities. You will gear up quickly and have plenty of buildings to escape zombies in. You will run into players however and they will probably shoot you.

If you are careful and get in and out fast, you can gear up faster than you would in days of trawling the country side.

There are some smaller cities that still have medium to large buildings and shops. Look these up, head out.

If you want to be cautious, head around small villages and towns, look for barns and try and find dear stands. These are usually on tree lines near wide open spaces. They have a better chance of having ok weapons and the zombies nearby are usually in military gear and have ammo on them.

Self Sufficiency

To survive indefinitely - you need a weapon (to kill wild animals) a hunting knife to gut them, an axe to chop fire wood, and matches to create a fire. You also need a water bottle to refill. You can avoid players and zombies with this method and live off the land indefinitely.

Surviving the Dead

You will start to learn when you need to crawl and when you can hurry around Zombies. Take your time, it's much less trouble and time to avoid contact. Crawling when they aren't facing you is very safe. Crawling when they are facing you is less safe. Try and time your approach when they seem to be moving away, and stay quite inside also.

"I just kept running"... Forest Gump

As has been said - if you activate a zombie, just run into a building and lure them inside so you can run out, or ideally run inside and run out a different exit. This should allow you to get away.

Also - if you run to a steep hill this can slow them enough for you to get away. Just remember to keep running as you can get an unlucky hit and break a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

If he was just outside Cherno, I might have made him a little angry by pulling a Shane on him. :o

I ran into a guy with an AK and a pistol last night, and having no weapons yet, and a trail of about 10 Z's behind me, dogged him until he ran into a barn, and then sprinted off. The guy was firing away for a while.

Loosing all my good gear to bandits twice in a row last night made me a bit spiteful of the first person I saw. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The first time I got a Lee, I "accidently" killed a guy with a crossbow just now when he was on a roof top looking down and borrowed it from his body, before I even got to test it out, some dude on a crane got shot near me and then I was promptly shot, karma :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

FrostyJack wrote: »
    The first time I got a Lee, I "accidently" killed a guy with a crossbow just now when he was on a roof top looking down and borrowed it from his body, before I even got to test it out, some dude on a crane got shot near me and then I was promptly shot, karma :(

Ahh the good ol' Lee Enfield. Even if you don't fire the bloody thing it still gets you killed very promptly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

FrostyJack wrote: »

First time I gat one, I was in a barn, I stepped off the bottom step of stairs and my leg promptly broke for no reason. :rolleyes:

I was trying to get my bearings to figure out where to crawl to, when I promptly got shot by someone I didn't see. :p

Did a bit better this time. I printed off a map for myself and made my way to elektro. I found a pistol and 1 mag for it in a house, only 8 bullets.... Then when I left the house and I was wandering around near the docks when I hear a chopper so I look up and there it is flying slowly over the town blasting stuff with a large gun that was mounted on the side. Eventually the chopper flew away and and I saw another survivor for the first time! Then he got killed by a few zombies and when I went to loot his corpe I got spotted and a few started chasing me. I killed 3 with my 8 bullets and now im hiding on top of a large oil tank near the docks surrounded by zombies and with no ammo :(

Edit: I just got blasted by some asshole in what looked like an apache gunship helicopter >.<

Zombies have started coming through shut doors again i thought that was fixed.

I was chased for ages I ran and ran (no gun of course) eventually found a house ran inside slammed the door amazingly found a rifle with 10 bullets. Turned zombie had come in through a closed door so shot him and sat in silence hoping no one heard the shot. :D

Went outside no one around, went to the next house one zombie spotted me tried to attack so I had to shoot him, 3 more turned up shot them. Starting to get low on bullets now and 6 more running across the field. I ran back to the house that was open turned to slam the door all 6 zombies right outside shoot off what bullets i have left slam the door think i'm safe and one just pops in and kills me.

You should be able to punch them or some kind of defence when you are unarmed.

The only time I lasted longer than 10 mins was when i swam out to an island. It was great there no zombies at all but also no food or weapons. Then i broke my leg jumping off the cliffs into the sea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I was chased for ages I ran and ran (no gun of course) eventually found a house ran inside slammed the door amazingly found a rifle with 10 bullets. Turned zombie had come in through a closed door so shot him and sat in silence hoping no one heard the shot. :D

Went outside no one around, went to the next house one zombie spotted me tried to attack so I had to shoot him, 3 more turned up shot them. Starting to get low on bullets now and 6 more running across the field.

Sounds like you got a LEE ENFIELD! :D

Sounds like you got a LEE ENFIELD! :D

That's the one ! may as well have covered myself in fresh blood and put a flashing siren on my head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the guys in the heli are only being ass-holes tbh. most people in cherno are there to gear up with semi- low quality stuff and are relatively new to the game.
    killing them serves no purpose than "I killed more than you so that makes me cool"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

the guys in the heli are only being ass-holes tbh. most people in cherno are there to gear up with semi- low quality stuff and are relatively new to the game.
    killing them serves no purpose than "I killed more than you so that makes me cool"

Helicopter on boards?

They're not spawning in this patch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Sounds like you got a LEE ENFIELD! DINNER BELL :D

If you can handle the swarm of zombies that ensues, Enfield is one of the best rifles in the game. Great iron sights and one-hit kills anything, including those pesky survivors!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement