Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying interior lights from the US.

Options
  • 08-05-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Buying interior lights from the US.
    I couldn't figure out where the best place to start this thread was so fingers crossed this works....

I just cannot seem to find any lighting that I like in European voltage. I have found numerous US (American) websites selling exactly what I want, they do some amazing lights online and at great value too...and now I am starting to consider buying them and getting them re-wiredeek.gif

So my question is two fold; Is this doable? And second question is can anyone out there recommend some nice lighting websites?

I am particularly interested in the island lighting that all the US websites do, they seem to have a larger range of more traditional styles, we seem to have very modern and retro styles here.

Thank you! confused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

they only need 230 v bulbs, that it, finish ;) If somebody tell you something else that means he want take cash for nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

they only need 230 v bulbs, that it, finish ;) If somebody tell you something else that means he want take cash for nothing ;)

Hi, what do you mean by "they only need 230v bulbs" i thought i would need to re-wire them as they would be a different voltage to ours in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

post up a picture or a link of what your looking at and the many experts on here will tell you if its (doable)

i have installed fitting from the us that were imported for a fancy hotel and it as simlpe as using irish bulbs

some of the fittings have stange colours (black white usa colours) or all whites .......sometimes you may have to use a better earth conector

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Some lights may be 12V so they can be connected using a suitable off the shelf transformer bought locally.

post up a picture or a link of what your looking at and the many experts on here will tell you if its (doable)

i have installed fitting from the us that were imported for a fancy hotel and it as simlpe as using irish bulbs

some of the fittings have stange colours (black white usa colours) or all whites .......sometimes you may have to use a better earth conector
    Hi, I'm on my iPhone now so rather than post a link I will tell u the website, it's belacor.com or ligtinguniverse.com the island lighting they have are amazing. I just can't find anything similar over here.
    Can u explain what u mean about using Irish bulbs in US lights? Can that work? I know nothing about electrics so excuse d ignorance...
    Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Some lights may be 12V so they can be connected using a suitable off the shelf transformer bought locally.
    Is that normal that the lights could be 12v? I don't understand... ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Hi, what do you mean by "they only need 230v bulbs" i thought i would need to re-wire them as they would be a different voltage to ours in Ireland?

Voltage difference is no matter for lighting,and they most certainly wont need to be rewired. However if it was European light fitting going to america,that would need to be rewired as they use bigger cabling then us as the voltage is half what it is here so they need to double the amps. For anyone thats interested, they wire lights with 14 gauge cable (equiv to around 2mm square here) and sockets with 12 gauge (equiv to around 3.5mm square here). But if the fitting come with bulbs supplied with them, you'll need to change them for bulbs bought here because they wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

what difference is between US and Ireland (EU) cable ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is that normal that the lights could be 12v? I don't understand... ;(

12V lighting has become quite popular. As has extra low voltage LED lighting.

Voltage difference is no matter for lighting,and they most certainly wont need to be rewired. However if it was European light fitting going to america,that would need to be rewired as they use bigger cabling then us as the voltage is half what it is here so they need to double the amps. For anyone thats interested, they wire lights with 14 gauge cable (equiv to around 2mm square here) and sockets with 12 gauge (equiv to around 3.5mm square here). But if the fitting come with bulbs supplied with them, you'll need to change them for bulbs bought here because they wont work.

This is excellent information and I couldnt be happier if you are right! Are the bulbs used in the US the same size as here? For example the light fitting I want to buy is here in this link:http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/mariana-imports-203090-aspen-oil-rubbed-bronze-three-light-pendant-301244.htm

There are loads more but using the above link as my example, do you think I can buy this light without any problems installing here in Ireland?

I did email them (Bellacor) but they were unsure if it would work, in fact they did say they get tons or orders daily from Europe and UK in particular, and they said they assumed these orders would be re-wired but they couldnt be sure.

Thank you again and apologies for the stupidity but i havent a clue when it comes to electrics.

• Advertisement

This is excellent information and I couldnt be happier if you are right! Are the bulbs used in the US the same size as here? For example the light fitting I want to buy is here in this link:http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/mariana-imports-203090-aspen-oil-rubbed-bronze-three-light-pendant-301244.htm

There are loads more but using the above link as my example, do you think I can buy this light without any problems installing here in Ireland?

I did email them (Bellacor) but they were unsure if it would work, in fact they did say they get tons or orders daily from Europe and UK in particular, and they said they assumed these orders would be re-wired but they couldnt be sure.

Thank you again and apologies for the stupidity but i havent a clue when it comes to electrics.

No apologies needed. It'll work fine dont worry and bulbs will be no problem. Shipping is going to be your main worry if the weight of them are all like that one!

No apologies needed. It'll work fine dont worry and bulbs will be no problem. Shipping is going to be your main worry if the weight of them are all like that one!

Are you serious, I am now beyond excited! Are you definately sure? So i just buy the lights I want and my electrician can install them here no problem? Right? And just a question about the bulbs, are you certain we can just buy "Irish" ones and stick them in the light fittings? It just seems too easy... you can appreciate my anxiety when i read threads like this one talking about inards being different voltage etc.... http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25544

:confused:

Are you serious, I am now beyond excited! Are you definately sure? So i just buy the lights I want and my electrician can install them here no problem? Right? And just a question about the bulbs, are you certain we can just buy "Irish" ones and stick them in the light fittings? It just seems too easy... you can appreciate my anxiety when i read threads like this one talking about inards being different voltage etc.... http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25544

:confused:

The light you gave a link to is a basic pendant design, which will have connectors attachted to wire which will go to each lamp holder which will take a bulb,no electronic ballasts or transformers which need 110V supply. American wire is copper,just like ours. If you want to be 100% sure, give us a link to each light here before you order it and we'll give a yay or nay but the one that one linked to is a 100% positive yes it will work just fine here.

OK Max Charger, i'm going to trust you.... what types of lights should I avoid then, is there an obvious type that wont work? For example this light http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/hinkley-3474pw-gentry-medium-pewter-foyer-pendant-111529.htm ?

OK Max Charger, i'm going to trust you.... what types of lights should I avoid then, is there an obvious type that wont work? For example this light http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/hinkley-3474pw-gentry-medium-pewter-foyer-pendant-111529.htm ?

I'm sure there are others here who will back me up on it. Thats another pendant type design, that'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

With the information provided in that link, it's hard to be 100% sure it will be okay over here.

You need to find out the type of bulb that the fitting uses. None of the links you've provided state the exact type of bulb required. I think screw in type bulbs are used more in the US. We mainly use ES and SES screw in types here. There are some less common types too. You would be best find out what type exactly that fitting requires, and ensure it is commonly available here. Importing the bulbs from the US will not be an option.

cast_iron wrote: »
    With the information provided in that link, it's hard to be 100% sure it will be okay over here.

You need to find out the type of bulb that the fitting uses. None of the links you've provided state the exact type of bulb required. I think screw in type bulbs are used more in the US. We mainly use ES and SES screw in types here. There are some less common types too. You would be best find out what type exactly that fitting requires, and ensure it is commonly available here. Importing the bulbs from the US will not be an option.

It just says "60 watt candlebra bulbs" and when i search these they appear to be the small screw in type. Do you believe these would be a special type of bulb or do you think i will be able to find this type here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

There is a technical difference between " lights " and " lamps ".
    Contact your electrician.

Lamps have a plug and lights have cabling... dare i ask what the technical difference is or am i best of not asking this? Thankfully it only seems to be the pendant lights that i cant find over here!
    However i just got a resposne from Bellacor regarding shipping and they have told me it would cost $152 for one light! So after all my research it isnt even worth it.... however i have found another website that does much lower shipping, when will companies learn that shipping can turn customers completely off!

It just says "60 watt candlebra bulbs" and when i search these they appear to be the small screw in type. Do you believe these would be a special type of bulb or do you think i will be able to find this type here?
    Candelabra seems to mean E12.
    The ES I mentioned earlier equates to E27.
    The SES equates to E14.

I'm not too sure how common E12 is over here. You may have difficulty sourcing them. Though there appears to be adapters available online for E12 to E14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

With the sort of money you are spending, I would go into some of the better light shops in Dublin with pictures of what you are looking for, and see what they can do for you. They will (I would hope) have catalogues and should be able to source stuff that isn't on display.

I have tried that locally and they have yet to source what i want and the ones that i have seen in stores that are similar in design are double the price.

I have received a mail back from the company to say that installing the lights here using our voltage would blow the lights up? I would need some sort of transformer.... and she said that the bulbs would make no difference to the voltage.

I have received a mail back from the company to say that installing the lights here using our voltage would blow the lights up? I would need some sort of transformer.... and she said that the bulbs would make no difference to the voltage.
    Well she's talking through her hat. Yes, you can go through the traffo route and use their 110v bulbs, but there is no need. With the correct (220v) bulbs, no traffos are required.
    Post a link of the one you are looking at so we can be sure there is no internal electronics involved.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Well she's talking through her hat. Yes, you can go through the traffo route and use their 110v bulbs, but there is no need. With the correct (220v) bulbs, no traffos are required.
    Post a link of the one you are looking at so we can be sure there is no internal electronics involved.

Thank you, how can you tell by looking at them if they have "internal electronics" is there nothign you teach me now that means i can tell this myself? the 2 lighst i posted yesterday in particular are the ones i am keen on and they did get back to me today when i complained about the shipping charge that i can use my own shipping account which means it brings down the charges again so at least thats a positive.

Thank you, how can you tell by looking at them if they have "internal electronics" is there nothign you teach me now that means i can tell this myself?
    Well 95% of them won't have any electronic internals. If the bulbs are 110v, then there shouldn't be.
    A pic of anything you are unsure of should confirm if they are suitable for over here.
    the 2 lighst i posted yesterday in particular are the ones i am keen on and they did get back to me today when i complained about the shipping charge that i can use my own shipping account which means it brings down the charges again so at least thats a positive.
    They will be fine, IF you can source E12 bulbs here in Ireland easily.

It appears the person you are mailing has absolutely no electrical knowledge at all.

It appears the person you are mailing has absolutely no electrical knowledge at all.

I hope so as I plan on taking the plunge and buying from them as I genuinely cannot find anything close within the same price frame...... I just want to see how much it will cost me to bring in a couple of lights using my own shipping account.

I am curious why she would say this though, surely they want the business, it would be in her best interest to ensure she is knowledgable in this area?

I am curious why she would say this though, surely they want the business, it would be in her best interest to ensure she is knowledgable in this area?
    Because she's a sales woman with little actual electrical knowledge who works in an office, and who walks home with the same pay on a Friday whether she ships you these lights to you or not. You are not really part of her target market, so she doesn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The lights are on, but there`s nobody home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

is the glass fully insured for postage by courier:confused:
    check it out .

Advertisement