Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on another dog.

• 08-05-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Two days ago I found a stray springer spaniel. She is about one year old and a real affectionate pet. She was very thin and had either gotten lost for quite a while or simply abandoned. I have reported the matter to all the appropriate places, gardai, pounds, etc.

She seems to have bonded with me and wont let me out of her sight. My wife and I are going on a weeks holiday tomorrow and my brother is looking after her while we are away. He rang me to say the dog pined for me when I left. I have another ten year old dog, who just about puts up with this new "intruder". I intend keeping the rescued dog if the owner cant be found.

My first question : Do you think it will take long before my own dog will accept the new one on her territory ? We have been careful not to show preference for the new dog, and have kept to the usual routine as much as possible.

Second question: When we get back from holidays, the dog will have been with my brother longer than with me, and will probably have bonded with him. So will the dog have to go through the stress of being separated from her "owner" again, just as she is getting into a routine ?

I know these questions are academic if the owner is found. I also know that the dog is a lot better off pining than being left abandoned, as she was when I found her.

Nonetheless, I'd appreciate your opinions/advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think that so long as you do not show preferance your other dog should accept the "intruder".

My older dogs was 3 when we got our little interloper. He was a foster, another young male, unneutered, both breeds who apparently tend to not get along with other dogs too easily. Well now they are like brothers, a duo of muddy paws, slobber and headbutts. We have had very few problems with them.

When the younger arrived however, he was crated for a lot of the time, because he was sick and needed his rest. Playtime had to be closely watched because he was a lot smaller and weaker. Although I have some lovely pics of a small boney little bald thing wrestling with the bigger dog. I honestly feel that we had no problems because they had a lot of time to get used to each other and were not pushed together and expected to get along.

In your case I would push for some alone time for both dogs. Don't forget the new guy is just getting used to your routine, so make it normal for you to go for a walk with your older fella while the younger one waits at home, as the older one slows down this will be very handy too. I'm sure your new dog will have much more energy and need a bit more guidance, so maybe give your older a chew while you spend one to one time training and tiring out the new fella.

With regards to bonding, I'm sure she will remember you as the person who took her in. She will be delighted to see you come home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Whispered wrote: »
    I think that so long as you do not show preferance your other dog should accept the "intruder".

My older dogs was 3 when we got our little interloper. He was a foster, another young male, unneutered, both breeds who apparently tend to not get along with other dogs too easily. Well now they are like brothers, a duo of muddy paws, slobber and headbutts. We have had very few problems with them.

When the younger arrived however, he was crated for a lot of the time, because he was sick and needed his rest. Playtime had to be closely watched because he was a lot smaller and weaker. Although I have some lovely pics of a small boney little bald thing wrestling with the bigger dog. I honestly feel that we had no problems because they had a lot of time to get used to each other and were not pushed together and expected to get along.

In your case I would push for some alone time for both dogs. Don't forget the new guy is just getting used to your routine, so make it normal for you to go for a walk with your older fella while the younger one waits at home, as the older one slows down this will be very handy too. I'm sure your new dog will have much more energy and need a bit more guidance, so maybe give your older a chew while you spend one to one time training and tiring out the new fella.

With regards to bonding, I'm sure she will remember you as the person who took her in. She will be delighted to see you come home. :)

Thanks Whispered ! :) Your post is very reassuring to me.

Advertisement