Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redudancy & Maternity Leave

Options
  • 08-05-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

My wife is currently 33 weeks gone and has just been given notice that she has been provisionally selected for redundancy (2 weeks notice). Having worked with her employer (large multi-national) for less than 2 years she will not be entitled to statutory redudancy payment.

Can anyone advise if it possible to go on maternity leave immediately and therefore avoid redundancy. As I believe you cannot be made redundant while on maternity leave. (she has already given notice that she intends taking maternity leave 2 weeks before her due date).

This was a particularily low act by this multi-national as this period is particularily stressful enough without this added stress etc.:mad:

Any comments much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Go to citizens advice if you can. I had problems with being let go after i had my first and they were very helpful. I took my maternity leave at 36 weeks and this was fine at the time (nearly 4 years ago). best of luck and i hope everything works out for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Pulled this from Citizens Advice

Can I be made redundant if I am on maternity leave?
    No, you may not be made redundant while on maternity leave or additional maternity leave. You may be made redundant when you return to work or while you are pregnant before you go on maternity leave. However if you are selected for redundancy because you are pregnant, you may qualify to bring a claim for unfair dismissal. Selection for redundancy based on certain grounds such as pregnancy is considered unfair under the unfair dismissals legislation.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/frequently_asked_questions_about_redundancy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

pat the best thing to do is either ring the citizens info or if your wife is in a union get her to get in contact with them immediately on which way the company are introducing redundancy. when my job were offering redundancies they did it on a seniority basis.i know each employer is different. your wife is in a very grey area here as technically she not on maternity leave yet but yet shes only weeks away from going on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

when I was made redundant along with my whole depot there were some guys off on long term sick leave who could not be made redundant due to being sick.
    BUT you do need to get proper advise from the citizens advice or the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Because she has already been selected for redundancy I'm not sure can she decide to go on maternity leave now to avoid it you'd have to check that out.
    However she is entitled to maternity benefit from the state from when she is let go as employment will have ceased within the last 15 weeks of pregnancy.
    Best thing to do is speak to Citizens Advice to get the best advice for her situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement