Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Mastitis - pure clear water out of quarter?

• 08-05-2012 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

A neighbour asked me to give him a dig out this evening milking out a few sucklers where calves werent getting onto back tits.

One cow had heat in rear quarter(never sucked by calf since calving 3-4 weeks) and i must have taken 3litres of clear hot water out of her, milked it out fully and put a tube in it and he going to get vet tomorrow... will she lose it do ye reckon?

Other one had similiar watery substance in both rear quarters but not as clear/watery (more milk colour to it but still very watery)

Any advice appreciated.. will put them in again tomorrow evening and milk those 2 out again id say

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bodacious wrote: »
    A neighbour asked me to give him a dig out this evening milking out a few sucklers where calves werent getting onto back tits.

One cow had heat in rear quarter(never sucked by calf since calving 3-4 weeks) and i must have taken 3litres of clear hot water out of her, milked it out fully and put a tube in it and he going to get vet tomorrow... will she lose it do ye reckon?

Other one had similiar watery substance in both rear quarters but not as clear/watery (more milk colour to it but still very watery)

Any advice appreciated.. will put them in again tomorrow evening and milk those 2 out again id say

3 litres of water !!
    If she's been left 3 weeks I'd reckon it doesn't look good for the quarter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

20 cc of tylan twice daily for 3 r 4 days and keep putting tubes in daily , chances are she will loose it put ya might get lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

20 cc of tylan twice daily for 3 r 4 days and keep putting tubes in daily , chances are she will loose it put ya might get lucky!

Yeah they were in too much grass aswell as they all very milky.

He went to vet who was away but office gave him Alamycin injection (any good? A dairy fella recommended Marycobl) and more tubes?

Are mastiplan the best tubes and is once a day enough to strip out / replace tube?

Yeah they were in too much grass aswell as they all very milky.

He went to vet who was away but office gave him Alamycin injection (any good? A dairy fella recommended Marycobl) and more tubes?

Are mastiplan the best tubes and is once a day enough to strip out / replace tube?

Not sure on best tubes they may well be, alamycin is ok too I've just been using tylan lately and found it good. Twice a day if you can! It's a pain though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

are they sick? the fact the calves havent been drinking them, if they are not sick i would leave them alone, let them dry up in those quarters....after ye milking them out they are only going to produce more in those quarters, but each to their own

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    are they sick? the fact the calves havent been drinking them, if they are not sick i would leave them alone, let them dry up in those quarters....after ye milking them out they are only going to produce more in those quarters, but each to their own

Fair point whelan I'm thinking of a dairy cow

Both cows perfect health wise , on restricted grass now ... Both heifer calves and not able to take all the milk from them, it's common enough but I'd never let suckler cow to grass until calf has a handle on her

So Whelan you'd leave her be and let that one lose that tit and the younger cow has similar watery milk but not as bad as other in both rear tits, surely she is worth a bit of milking and tubes and course of antibiotics .

If she were mine I'd be going home at lunch and up in the night, serious 800kg ch x bb cow with show quality lim heifer calf at foot , she won't be much use to him or calf later in season or next year with only 2 front tits.... I know what you are going to say why didn't he get under her so the past 3 weeks !!

Both cows perfect health wise , on restricted grass now ... Both heifer calves and not able to take all the milk from them, it's common enough but I'd never let suckler cow to grass until calf has a handle on her

So Whelan you'd leave her be and let that one lose that tit and the younger cow has similar watery milk but not as bad as other in both rear tits, surely she is worth a bit of milking and tubes and course of antibiotics .

If she were mine I'd be going home at lunch and up in the night, serious 800kg ch x bb cow with show quality lim heifer calf at foot , she won't be much use to him or calf later in season or next year with only 2 front tits.... I know what you are going to say why didn't he get under her so the past 3 weeks !!
    we have suckler cows, i know for sure some of the calves are not drinking the 4 quarters, i don't put myself and the cows under stress by strigging them out, fine and dandy if they are sick BUT if everything is going ok i leave them alone.... the milk is more than likely watery as it hasnt been drank...

we have suckler cows, i know for sure some of the calves are not drinking the 4 quarters, i don't put myself and the cows under stress by strigging them out, fine and dandy if they are sick BUT if everything is going ok i leave them alone.... the milk is more than likely watery as it hasnt been drank...

So what would be your cut off on a milky suckler ? 3 tits getting sucked other below on the floor ... Just leave it entirely or after a few weeks check her out for cut or soreness and take a bit off of her so calf can physically get it in its mouth

I'm not knocking your system just curious in the stand offish approach and whether you'd lose many tits/ mastitis cases... Ive mostly lim x cows and I never have to leave a hand to them especially earlier calving

So what would be your cut off on a milky suckler ? 3 tits getting sucked other below on the floor ... Just leave it entirely or after a few weeks check her out for cut or soreness and take a bit off of her so calf can physically get it in its mouth

I'm not knocking your system just curious in the stand offish approach and whether you'd lose many tits/ mastitis cases... Ive mostly lim x cows and I never have to leave a hand to them especially earlier calving
    20 years suckling, not 1 case of mastitis - touch wood... why fix whats not broken.... at 3 or 4 weeks if the calf isnt drinking a spin imo i dont think he is going to drink that spin full stop... sorry if i seem stand offish but imo you are putting the cow and yourself under pressure by milking out a spin after 3or 4 weeks...thnkfully we dont have anysucklers whose bags are hitting the floor... i have in the past hand milked a suckler cow for a few days after calving until the calf gets up and going, but thats the only occasion thank god

• Advertisement

20 years suckling, not 1 case of mastitis - touch wood... why fix whats not broken.... at 3 or 4 weeks if the calf isnt drinking a spin imo i dont think he is going to drink that spin full stop... sorry if i seem stand offish but imo you are putting the cow and yourself under pressure by milking out a spin after 3or 4 weeks...thnkfully we dont have anysucklers whose bags are hitting the floor... i have in the past hand milked a suckler cow for a few days after calving until the calf gets up and going, but thats the only occasion thank god

Fair play some record Whelan.

We had mastitis years back as had alot of first generation Fr cross cows that had far too much milk especially when calving later in the year but more continental sucklers seem to have less bother..

What you are saying though that if he hasn't sucked it at 4 weeks that he isn't going to bother sucking it ever then surely over the years you must have the odd blind tit, if calf don't suck it one year it won't work the next year if she has a big hungry ch bull on her?

our sucklers are all pb canadian angus, with plenty of milk.... we dont draw their spins at all, once calf is up and drinking and doing well, so i wouldnt really know if some of them are 3 spin or not... once calf and cow are doing well i am happy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

I've never heard of a calf that would ignore a teat/quater of its dam. Are you sure that they haven't been sucking from all quarters, even though you may not have observed them (in the absence of a masitis quart , of course). Otherwise, I would feel uneasy to leave a newly-calved cow/heifer without complete suckling...maybe that's just me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

roran wrote: »
    I've never heard of a calf that would ignore a teat/quater of its dam. Are you sure that they haven't been sucking from all quarters, even though you may not have observed them (in the absence of a masitis quart , of course). Otherwise, I would feel uneasy to leave a newly-calved cow/heifer without complete suckling...maybe that's just me :confused:

You see it a good bit in milky sucklers with saggy udders or bottle teats.

You see it a good bit in milky sucklers with saggy udders or bottle teats.

Alot to be said for lim x cows Red i think they have the best udders by a country mile IMO

Advertisement