Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Apple products pretty poor or is it just my luck?

• 09-05-2012 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Well, as the title said. I've gone through two iPods in the last 5 years. They were Classics, last one was 160GB and the one before was 30GB as far as I remember. They've really just given up with no real cause of a fault. Not quiet as solid as Apple would lead us to believe. They hadn't got regular use, just some evenings and odd days in the car. The battery would last me a week if not more sometimes but right now I'm pretty p155ed off that this one has given up on me.

I'm looking for a replacement but for each part of me that says to buy another iPod, a second part of me says "Stay away!"

After getting rid of an iPhone and now this I'm reluctant to fork out the €230 for another Classic.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Most consumer electronics contain components that are designed to have a limited life span. This includes almost all mobile phones since the good Nokias.
    Apple got you to pay twice for essentially the same thing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

its not just you apple products in my opinion arent that great. iv had alot of bad experience with them breaking and battery problems. laptops and all seem good but ipods and iphones have been nothing but bad for me. A good few people i know have the same problems but others swear by them. In my opinion there not worth the price tag and now stick to samsung and sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A friend has her iPhone exchanged due to a fault a couple of weeks ago and the new one has now developed a different fault. In fairness, this can happen to any phone, but I don't think Apple is any better than any other higher end brand.
    Cowon/iAudio would be my choice for music players, we've had about 5 models over the years between me and my OH, all working fine even after we passed them on to family members when we got upgrades. They don't have great distribution here though, so I'm not sure what happens if a fault actually appears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apple are no worse than any other brand. However, when things go wrong within warranty, no other company can match them.

I bought a 3rd gen classic in 2003. Within a year the HD went. Apple sent a courier to deliver a box to pack it in then sent them back to pick it up and cart it off to the Netherlands. Then the courier came back and dropped off a new one. Guess what? It is still working and I still use it regularly nine years later. The battery life became miserable, but that is inherent in Li-ion technology and isn't Apple's fault. I bought a replacement off ebay for very little and fixed it.

I had an Apple Powerbook that saw many hours of use every day for 8 years before the GPU came unstuck.

My current Macbook came with a fault where it would not read double layer DVDs. Took it in for warranty repair one day and picked it up fixed the next. It has seen 4 years of heavy daily use and has more air miles than a lot of people. It is very well built and looks as good as new. I suspect it would have another six years in it easy.

You want brands that really make rubbish that breaks - try Sony and Philips. I stopped buying junk made by those two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Can't say I've had any outstanding issues with apple - have had 2nd gen 20Gb ipod for years and it's still going, ipod classic 160GB since they first came out and it's still going, I've had a 13" macbook for 6-7 years now without major issue (charger replaced free by apple (great customer service), and replaced worn out battery myself). Also have a couple of iphone 3GS in the house and they've been fine!

Often it is a case of 'your mileage may vary', and with the volume of products apple are shifting now there is always going to be a certain failure rate... unfortunately you've been hit twice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Apple got you to pay twice for essentially the same thing, no?

Well the first iPod became faulty and it was in bad shape over all so I bought a new Classic for €230 in Xtra-Vision around 2 years ago. I had hoped it would last me for a while but even with the best of care it died 2 weeks ago.

A lot of people seem to swear by Apple but as it stands I'd be reluctant to pay another €230 for a second 160GB Classic.

Has there been any announcements regarding new iPods? To me, paying the same price as two years ago for the same old model doesn't make much sense. Having said that, paying over €400 for a new Touch doesn't appeal to me either, especially after my luck!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

In general I wouldn't rate apple any better or any worse than other brands, I've had 2 ipod touch's fail (both replaced by apple), 1 ipod classic (returned to store), a nano (replaced by apple)....then outside of mp3 players, 1 macbook (apple repaired), 1 mbp (apple repaired), 1 imac fail (multiple times, eventual write off and refund)

On the plus side I have a 6 yr old gen5 ipod (classic) that's broken, come back to life and is still working now despite taking one hell of a beating (as it was relegated to backup/backup/backup player so my care of it was lax when it was excess to requirements, it now sits in my car fulltime) At the moment I have an iphone 4s that's 7mths in and running fine overall, and a mbp that's 9ths old running rock solid.

With that said, if you are looking for a new HIGH CAPACITY mp3 player, the Classic is your only choice.
    EDIT: I'd forgotten about the MicroSDXC option (mentioned by glasso below), so the classic isn't your only option.

Well, as the title said. I've gone through two iPods in the last 5 years. They were Classics, last one was 160GB and the one before was 30GB as far as I remember. They've really just given up with no real cause of a fault. Not quiet as solid as Apple would lead us to believe. They hadn't got regular use, just some evenings and odd days in the car. The battery would last me a week if not more sometimes but right now I'm pretty p155ed off that this one has given up on me.

I'm looking for a replacement but for each part of me that says to buy another iPod, a second part of me says "Stay away!"

After getting rid of an iPhone and now this I'm reluctant to fork out the €230 for another Classic.

Any opinions?

you can get good quality 72gb of mp3 player (if that's enough for you) but getting a sansa clip + (or newer sansa zip) and a 64gb micro sd card
    (like this one - cheaper ones on ebay I'm sure http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005LFT40G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336567676&sr=8-1).
    Battery life could be extended by a car usb charger like a satnav cable or just buy it seperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Or get the 16gb Sansa fuze+ with the 64gb microsd card for 80gb of flash player goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Mactard wrote: »
    With that said, if you are looking for a new HIGH CAPACITY mp3 player, the Classic is your only choice.
    EDIT: I'd forgotten about the MicroSDXC option (mentioned by glasso below), so the classic isn't your only option.

I'm looking for a high capacity mp3 at some point but was erring towards a Cowon X7. Any thoughts on that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's rather large, has a cumbersome UI and can brick randomly...a very disappointing addition to the X-series from cowon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Why not just ditch the music player altogether and buy a smart phone with a micro SD card slot. Now that the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been announced you should start to see good deals for the S2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

waraf wrote: »
    Why not just ditch the music player altogether and buy a smart phone with a micro SD card slot. Now that the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been announced you should start to see good deals for the S2.
    I have an S2 already, but in my past experience, using the phone for music used the battery at lightning speed. Having said that, it was an iPhone!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Mactard wrote: »
    In general I wouldn't rate apple any better or any worse than other brands, I've had 2 ipod touch's fail (both replaced by apple), 1 ipod classic (returned to store), a nano (replaced by apple)....then outside of mp3 players, 1 macbook (apple repaired), 1 mbp (apple repaired), 1 imac fail (multiple times, eventual write off and refund)

On the plus side I have a 6 yr old gen5 ipod (classic) that's broken, come back to life and is still working now despite taking one hell of a beating (as it was relegated to backup/backup/backup player so my care of it was lax when it was excess to requirements, it now sits in my car fulltime) At the moment I have an iphone 4s that's 7mths in and running fine overall, and a mbp that's 9ths old running rock solid.

You still buy apple products after having 8 separate apple devices fail on you?
    I'm not a hater, I have some apple stuff myself, and I do understand that its all made in the same similar chinese factories by the same economic slaves as dell uses, etc...

But seriously? 8 devices failed, more than once on average... I'd be using another brand where there is value for money.

Anytime I would have to put time into anything that fails, I'd chalk it up and mentally bill myself for it.
    Each hour spent replacing devices (or similar), I'd be saying thats €50 extra per hour that the devices have cost me.
    Tot that up (with whatever figure you want to put on your time) and add that probable expense to the cost of something...
    Hardly seems worth it.

- posted from one of my iPads

I've owned a lot of tech (many different brands), and like I said - and you highlighted in your quote - I wouldn't rate apple any better or any worse than other brands

Doesn't that sum it up for you? seriously? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've never had one Apple product fail on me. Still have a 1st ten iTouch lying around the house that get's used by my brother regularly. All comes down to personal experience I think.

Advertisement