Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from primary teaching to secondary teaching ???

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have recently completed a B.Ed degree with Irish as my arts subject in Mary Immaculate College. I'm wondering what extra qualifications do I need to teach Irish in secondary school ? I was thinking of doing Irish and P.E. in UL. Would I get exemptions in this or is there postgrad courses i can do ?? Bottom-line I have my primary school degree in the bag what do i need to do to teach irish and pe at secondary level ??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Do you have Irish and PE for the full 3/4 years of the degree ? It sounds like you have Irish so you'll just need a PDE in Secondary Education.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The Arts subject in the B.Ed makes up 8 modules out of 32, which is less than 30% of the degree. That could cause problems. And I know that there are wide and diverging opinions on whether it constitutes a full degree in that Arts subject, or not.

Advertisement