Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend failed their Thesis Proposal in animation, anyone know what happens?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 2:12am

Friend of mine is freaking out because they were informed that they failed their thesis proposal and as such they have been told that they may have to repeat 3rd year. They were told that as their proposal had a yes/no answer it was unacceptable.

They have been told that there is a slim chance that they may get to do a summer project in it's place or resubmit their proposal so I'm wondering if anyone has/knows someone who has been in the same situation and what the out come was?

While I understand the importance of the proposal, I find it a little ridiculous that someone cold be made repeat the year due to failing it. The rest of their grades are very good and while it's not an excuse my friend has been under considerable pressure due to personal issues of late.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EduOfficer

Hi there,

The best thing for your friend to do is to arrange a meeting with their tutor to look at the options of re-submission.

I would be surprised if a student would have to repeat an entire year based on one assignment failed - how much was the thesis proposal worth?

If your friend has been going through personal problems - they can appeal their grade on the grounds that they were adversely affected by factors which they were unable or unwilling to disclose - this includes personal and medical reasons. Appeal forms are available from the IADT website, at the bottom of the page here

Tell your friend to pop into the SU if s/he wants to chat about it more, but if not the first place to start is with their course tutor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

You better hurry or the academics will be gone!

EduOfficer wrote: »
    Hi there,

The best thing for your friend to do is to arrange a meeting with their tutor to look at the options of re-submission.

I would be surprised if a student would have to repeat an entire year based on one assignment failed - how much was the thesis proposal worth?

If your friend has been going through personal problems - they can appeal their grade on the grounds that they were adversely affected by factors which they were unable or unwilling to disclose - this includes personal and medical reasons. Appeal forms are available from the IADT website, at the bottom of the page here

Tell your friend to pop into the SU if s/he wants to chat about it more, but if not the first place to start is with their course tutor.

Meant to reply to this last week, they have been speaking with their tutors and atm is in the position where some board has to make a decision. They are not the only person to get a failing grade in it and as it is the only module they have ever failed I'm hoping for the best for them.

They have been told that the most likely outcome is that they will not be going into 4th year and will instead have to repeat the thesis proposal module next year.

Advertisement