Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

ForeRight wrote: »
    I bet they wish they took that 1 euro now!
    I don't think it was the €1 that was the issue in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Other members were also told that if they did decide to leave they would be required to sell their share back to the board for €1 or face being barred from ever setting foot on the course again.

In the past the favoured few were not alone allowed to lease their memberships but were provided with assistance in doing so. That option was refused as was the suggestion that the subs be offset against the loan that they had given to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I bet they wish they took that 1 euro now!
    I don't think it was the €1 that was the issue in fairness.

Sarcasm is lost in this thread.

Everybody is on edge and too busy entertaining goombeeno!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I guess it is one of those that it is no laughing matter.

But, the power struggle on this thread explains why there is not a chance the place would have worked. Too many egos, and that is saying something coming from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eagleleyes

Got it in one ForeRight! Gombeeno's pretty much the only one with the bad attitude here and still managing to do a piss poor job of the PR for the Board! It will all come out in the wash anyway. The people really responsible for running the club into the ground can run but they can't hide forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

eagleleyes wrote: »
    Got it in one ForeRight! Gombeeno's pretty much the only one with the bad attitude here and still managing to do a piss poor job of the PR for the Board! It will all come out in the wash anyway. The people really responsible for running the club into the ground can run but they can't hide forever.

Look too much going on for an outsider to get past all this.

But did 120 people not pay subs ?

If that is the case , it looks like a bluff was called in cards. They lost, they closed the club.

I believe he was brought to hospital Wednesday night. No idea what was his condition.

Has this been confirmed or is is just a rumour?

vikingdub wrote: »
    I believe he was brought to hospital Wednesday night. No idea what was his condition.

Has this been confirmed or is is just a rumour?

Confirmed.

Confirmed.

He went home yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

I guess it is one of those that it is no laughing matter.

But, the power struggle on this thread explains why there is not a chance the place would have worked. Too many egos, and that is saying something coming from me.
    Let's face it. All clubs have their pr1cks.

• Advertisement

Confirmed.

He went home yesterday.
    Is he in form for visitors?

Do you want to send him back?:)

I wouldn't know, was talking to a couple of lads today who told me. Unfortunately I'm just a Joe Soap that none of the Board or committee for that matter ever took the time to have a game with or tried to get to know.

Ah no I'd say he would be delighted to meet me again. I will never forget the smiles on him and Diskin like Cheshire cats when I was giving them my subs.

I wouldn't know, was talking to a couple of lads today who told me. Unfortunately I'm just a Joe Soap that none of the Board or committee for that matter ever took the time to have a game with or tried to get to know.
    No way. Did you not get your welcome cuddles that Diskin promised either?

No way. Did you not get your welcome cuddles that Diskin promised either?

Im sensing some real feelings of love here! Diskin to be fair was only a puppet for the rest of them. Any idiot could see that. Sure I even heard today he was the one going around telling everyone, off the record of course, who had done deals last year! FFS I could have joined Mount Juliet last year for less than I paid to SC but in fairness, the course was magnificent. Just a shame about the pricks running it!

Im sensing some real feelings of love here! Diskin to be fair was only a puppet for the rest of them. Any idiot could see that. Sure I even heard today he was the one going around telling everyone, off the record of course, who had done deals last year! FFS I could have joined Mount Juliet last year for less than I paid to SC but in fairness, the course was magnificent. Just a shame about the pricks running it!

Agree with you there, he is out of a job now and to be fair to him he was always civil and spoke to all members. Regardless of how we feel about the reduced subs for new members, without Diskin there would not have been a lot fewer new members.

Agree with you there, he is out of a job now and to be fair to him he was always civil and spoke to all members. Regardless of how we feel about the reduced subs for new members, without Diskin there would not have been a lot fewer new members.
    He hardly covered himself in glory when the locks were getting changed Tuesday evening and Raymie says how will we get in in the morning? Oh don't worry says he there will be someone here to let you in. Look to be fair he was only doing his job I suppose. What he was getting paid for and that was get new members. He was lead by the board but when the game was up he should of had the guts to blow the whistle. He was ****ed either way.

Ah no I'd say he would be delighted to meet me again. I will never forget the smiles on him and Diskin like Cheshire cats when I was giving them my subs.

I doubt he was slumming it in tallaght hospital anyway.

Probably holed up in the beacon with 24 hr Garda presence on his door :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't sleep, read all 36 pages, sad sad situation, feel sorry for the employees and frustrated members with subs paid. Just coming into the core golfing season and all. :(

I'll be paying my subs next year by DD.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just came upon this forum after seeing the piece in The Business Post. Have played the course a few times but have no ties. All I can say it is a shame to see such division among a group who should be united in trying to keep the club running. As an outside observer I would think too much has been said to achieve the unanimity that is so badly needed. The Macreddin guys have somehow managed to keep their course open by getting on with making sure that they stayed focussed on that purpose. Many lost a lot of money, got over it and got on with it. The naysayers and the uncommitted just moved on.

I would proffer that a new club made up of those able to leave the past in the past is the only hope.

Sadly SDGC is but one of many clubs in such dire straits.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pedro D

Just came upon this forum after seeing the piece in The Business Post. Have played the course a few times but have no ties. All I can say it is a shame to see such division among a group who should be united in trying to keep the club running. As an outside observer I would think too much has been said to achieve the unanimity that is so badly needed. The Macreddin guys have somehow managed to keep their course open by getting on with making sure that they stayed focussed on that purpose. Many lost a lot of money, got over it and got on with it. The naysayers and the uncommitted just moved on.

I would proffer that a new club made up of those able to leave the past in the past is the only hope.

Peter
    A new club will be formed called south county 2012 member run with pk at Raymies desk taking the cash. It should succeed as the payment terms would be cash or dd for yr 1 & 2 before any confidence is restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Just in!

The Men's and Ladies Committees will convene a meeting for all members and shareholders next Wednesday.

Both Committees are meeting on Monday to discuss various issues and some options for a way forward.  We will inform members of the time and location of the Wednesday in due course.

Just for clarification, we are aware that the landlords are sending out emails on their behalf, informing members of updates in relation to the golf course.  We want to inform members that any emails from the landlords do no represent the Men's and Ladies committees.  The Men's and Ladies committees will be looking at all options on the table including any proposal from the landlords.  It is the committees view that the interests of the members and shareholders will be best served by acting as a group and that is why we will be convening a meeting on Wednesday.  All other meetings arranged by landlords and/or other members while potentially welcome do not represent the official views of the Men's and Ladies committees.

We hope to see as many members as possible at the Wednesday meeting we are organising and at that stage we will hopefully be in a position to clarify options from various quarters including offers from other clubs and any proposals the current landlords would like us to consider.

Michael Moore, Captain Men's Club 2012
    Sheelagh Stubbs, Lady Captain 2012
    The Men's and Ladies Committees will convene a meeting for all members and shareholders next Wednesday.

Both Committees are meeting on Monday to discuss various issues and some options for a way forward.  We will inform members of the time and location of the Wednesday in due course.

Just for clarification, we are aware that the landlords are sending out emails on their behalf, informing members of updates in relation to the golf course.  We want to inform members that any emails from the landlords do no represent the Men's and Ladies committees.  The Men's and Ladies committees will be looking at all options on the table including any proposal from the landlords.  It is the committees view that the interests of the members and shareholders will be best served by acting as a group and that is why we will be convening a meeting on Wednesday.  All other meetings arranged by landlords and/or other members while potentially welcome do not represent the official views of the Men's and Ladies committees.

We hope to see as many members as possible at the Wednesday meeting we are organising and at that stage we will hopefully be in a position to clarify options from various quarters including offers from other clubs and any proposals the current landlords would like us to consider.

Michael Moore, Captain Men's Club 2012
    Sheelagh Stubbs, Lady Captain 2012

I doubt he was slumming it in tallaght hospital anyway.

Probably holed up in the beacon with 24 hr Garda presence on his door :)

Well if he has been discharged we can safely assume it was not a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Peter

Sad about South County especially on those guys who recently joined or had just paid their subs, but that's what can happpen in propriorty clubs unfortunatley.

Is McReddin not gone into liquidation again or at least that is their status in the cro

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

Peter
    < Hi Peter, Macreddin is in Nama, and is kept alive by suckling at the taxpayers breast. Same with Tulfarris, K Club, Moyvalley, Carton, Bunclody etc etc etc>>> SC didn't owe enough to get in Nama.

BTW some posts too personal..don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out who some of the posters are.

Peter

The members have already been down that road, lent money to keep the club going and gave freely of their time and expertise to get the club back on a sound footing.

Many will not be in financial position to sink more money into the club having been treated in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fennetec

Gambino wrote: »
    My but we are a bit prickley. And I though Ronan was supposed to be the big ego tripper in this circus tent. If you want to take credit in calling for a meeting, be my guest. As for the "unofficial" bit, I think Pat just meant preliminary or initial notice of a meeting. I don't think he would claim to be a wordsmith.

And even if the meeting was your idea, Pat is still the one people will be coming to hear.

Well thank God that he is not coming to hear you. I have no problem with Pat putting his case across, as I have said, about ten times now, he was encouraged to do so. And for the last time, I did not call the meeting for my ego, I called it for the people I brought into the bar on Thursday week and more or less was responsible for them handing over a years advanced membership. If Pat wants to become an overnight golf course owner he is not going to become one unless he extends some effort to restore the trust in SCGC that these people had when they paid their money. He is not going to do that by asking them for money to play the course this week and he should have been prepared to take a hit from those who had just paid in advance. If there had been a notice on the Eviction Room (Raymie Burns Shop) placed by Pat or the Board that there was even the slightest intention of calling a meeting I would not have had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

Yes, I thought my last contribution would go down well. I'm not wishing bad luck on any clubs, but if they get some of the sh*t stirrers that ruined South County as new members, then I fear for them.

Good luck to you all - but don't use up all your bullets shooting us messengers. You will need some for your other foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

:pac::pac:
    Gambino wrote: »
    Yes, I thought my last contribution would go down well. I'm not wishing bad luck on any clubs, but if they get some of the sh*t stirrers that ruined South County as new members, then I fear for them.

Good luck to you all - but don't use up all your bullets shooting us messengers. You will need some for your other foot.

Cut it out, Jimmy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement