Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

uberwolf wrote: »
    Golf156 wrote: »
    Very interesting reading on http://cashiq.net/. It's free to read up to 3 company accounts.
    almost 1 million SC wages bill for 2010 and 2011, seems a bit high.

25 staff @ 40k each. Not impossible to imagine a course, bar, restaurant, etc employing that many people/
    Yes it is. Do you know many waitresses and barmen earning 40k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Yes it is. Do you know many waitresses and barmen earning 40k a year
    ok then, its 30 people at 33k, 40 people at 25k, etc. I've never been to SCD, no idea how many people work there.

1M sounds like a huge figure, could include pension entitlements, employers PRSI, etc, etc, but if you do a tot of the number of staff (and in fact the accounts will tell you how many work there, which will render this little aside moot).
    I'm not registering for that site to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

uberwolf wrote: »
    ok then, its 30 people at 33k, 40 people at 25k, etc. I've never been to SCD, no idea how many people work there.

1M sounds like a huge figure, could include pension entitlements, employers PRSI, etc, etc, but if you do a tot of the number of staff (and in fact the accounts will tell you how many work there, which will render this little aside moot).
    I'm not registering for that site to find out.

Look it is 1000 people paying 1000 euro for wages alone. It makes the number look like trouble if your wage bill is that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Ye highest earner there should have been the head greenskeeper and depending On how good he was you're talking 50-100k and sets say 10 staff for fis team at avg 35k

Plus 5 paid staff in the clubhouse averaging 35k

Already there you're talking the guts of 700k including prsi etc etc.

It's no wonder the club was in trouble. How much were the membership fees??

1600?

How much was rent??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Ye highest earner there should have been the head greenskeeper and depending On how good he was you're talking 50-100k and sets say 10 staff for fis team at avg 35k

50-100k. If it wasnt closer to the 50k or even below it then the someone wasnt doing their job correctly.
    10 staff !?!?! If that is true then no wonder they couldnt stay affloat. Try 5. It is plenty for the typical course. I dont think even K Club, Mount Juliet grade courses would have 10 full time greenstaff plus a head greenkeeper these days. Back in the boom they did. But everyone has trimmed over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Plus 5 paid staff in the clubhouse averaging 35k

Already there you're talking the guts of 700k including prsi etc etc.

It's no wonder the club was in trouble. How much were the membership fees??

1600?

How much was rent??
    The sub for existing members was €1650 incl €100 bar levy. I believe the rent was around the €110k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tonyka wrote: »

thought you would never act to keep this civil ..... thanks:)
    Thanks so much for your generous approval.
    Mods don't live to serve these threads, the hope is that people are adult enough to govern themselves, you'll learn that when you are here a bit longer.

A big thank you to Killeen GC for their very generous gesture in giving us the use of their course today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

A big thank you to Killeen GC for their very generous gesture in giving us the use of their course today.

Is it nice?

link_2007 wrote: »

Is it nice?
    It is. It's in excellent condition. I have played it a few times in the past and always enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

why is that interesting ?

nothing new in that.
    nothing in that article that we haven't already read in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

rumour on the street is that the books looked just ok......not as severe as close the gates...though i realise this has happened!!!!
    something fishy going on.mate reckons.... dont know the ins n outs but il put my hat on it been open in few months time......
    rumours from an accoutant to golfer to mate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

rumour on the street is that the books looked just ok......not as severe as close the gates...though i realise this has happened!!!!
    something fishy going on.mate reckons.... dont know the ins n outs but il put my hat on it been open in few months time......
    rumours from an accoutant to golfer to mate

RUMOURS ARE WORTHLESS INFORMATION, PLEASE KEEP TO FACTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

It is. It's in excellent condition. I have played it a few times in the past and always enjoyed it.

Do they honestly expect us to join after some of those pin positions ???

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

Good advice Charlie. The facts are that the club ran out of cash.

Incidentally I see that my suggestion of transparency on the part of members has received an underwhelming response.

Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Gambino wrote: »
    Good advice Charlie. The facts are that the club ran out of cash.

Incidentally I see that my suggestion of transparency on the part of members has received an underwhelming response.

Funny that.

You really are a puke :rolleyes:

Thanks for making my point for me. Its a shame when the facts are a bit awkward isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Thanks for making my point for me. Its a shame when the facts are a bit awkward isn't it?

What point? What facts?

What point? What facts?
    See #567 (as if you didn't know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

It still wouldn't have hurt to hear what the landlord is proposing but maybe it is better to have those discussions conducted by (I hope a sensible and reasonable) team from the club, rather than him be confronted by a baying mob, which would have been a risk on Tuesday.
    Whether people like it or not, the Kavanaghs are part of the solution more than the problem. Anger isn't an argument -or a strategy.

Your concern for the Kavanaghs is touching, it is a pity you are unable to show the same degree of concern for the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You really are a puke :rolleyes:

Congratulations.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Congratulations.
    I hope you are not kicking him out before he answers my question. That would be letting him off the hook.

vikingdub wrote: »
    Your concern for the Kavanaghs is touching, it is a pity you are unable to show the same degree of concern for the members.

In what way am I not showing concern for the members? I am one of the few people in here who is looking at how we can rescue the club, in one form or another. Most of you seem more interested in a lynching.

The only members I don't care about are the ones who let the club down in its time of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

The only members I don't care about are the ones who let the club down in its time of need.

With respect, I think thats the point that people are taking issue with.

You seem to include everyone who didn't pay in that cover all description, (which to an outsider seems a little condescending and arrogant IMO) with no consideration for the fact that they may not have been able to pay or had a legitimate enough gripe for them not to pay, or they simply decided to go elsewhere.
    You really can't equate being unable to afford golf with letting the club down.

You can't seriously expect members to just grin and bear it and go along with a board or committee no matter what, just because you in particular want the club to survive. With the choice of clubs out there looking for new members, a board needs to tread carefully or its very easy to drive members away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

As Russman said above.
    Also can you confirm what privileges existing members who were expected to pay annual subs of in excess of €1,650 had over new members who were given memberships for in the region of €1,289?

There should have been more of an incentive to reward existing members for their support of the club and ensure their future subscriptions rather than undercutting them in the hopes of temporarily increasing the number of new members. With the barriers to entry such as expensive entry fees gradually going by the way side golfers are now more mobile changing clubs as finances dictate and therefore more likely to take advantage of the cheaper introductory memberships and then move on the following year.

If I was a member of SCGC and paying full membership while a new member was receiving the same playing rights but paying in the region of €400 less I too would be looking to move to a more equitable club.

It's not the departing members who are to blame for the demise of SCGC.

As Russman said above.
    Also can you confirm what privileges existing members who were expected to pay annual subs of in excess of €1,650 had over new members who were given memberships for in the region of €1,289?

There should have been more of an incentive to reward existing members for their support of the club and ensure their future subscriptions rather than undercutting them in the hopes of temporarily increasing the number of new members. With the barriers to entry such as expensive entry fees gradually going by the way side golfers are now more mobile changing clubs as finances dictate and therefore more likely to take advantage of the cheaper introductory memberships and then move on the following year.

If I was a member of SCGC and paying full membership while a new member was receiving the same playing rights but paying in the region of €400 less I too would be looking to move to a more equitable club.

It's not the departing members who are to blame for the demise of SCGC.
    Anyone leaving for a better deal has my blessing. Anyone who can't afford to keep playing in a club has my sympathy.That's not who I'm talking about.

The incentive to current members was to still have a golf club. The introductory offer was trying to match what is on offer elsewhere.

The ones who let the club down were those negotiating deals simply because they could, or who REFUSED to pay because they disagreed with the marketing strategy, in complete denial of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I hope you are not kicking him out before he answers my question. That would be letting him off the hook.

Christ on a bike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Whyner wrote: »
    Do they honestly expect us to join after some of those pin positions ???
    :D:D
    I know! But the holes do seem a bit larger than regulation to make up for it.

I would also like to extend my thanks to Kileen GC for the use of their course. Very well kept track with some very unforgiving challenging holes. The 18th par 3 is a lovely one to finish before heading to the clubhouse. Really sincere and warm welcome in the club shop from the pro after whats happened to our club. I would definitely consider membership. I would urge any SC members to take a look.

/mod edit
    No phone numbers in posts please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Anyone leaving for a better deal has my blessing. Anyone who can't afford to keep playing in a club has my sympathy.That's not who I'm talking about.

The incentive to current members was to still have a golf club. The introductory offer was trying to match what is on offer elsewhere.

The ones who let the club down were those negotiating deals simply because they could, or who REFUSED to pay because they disagreed with the marketing strategy, in complete denial of reality.

But how do you know who refused to or tried negotiating because they disagreed with marketing strategies?

Did the board send out a list of names who did this? If you are in possession of such a list you might share it with us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement