Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fennetec

Meeting (the official one called by our Captain's) is now fixed for City West Hotel tomorrow at 7.30pm.

And the bit I like..........Only paid up members can attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

fennetec wrote: »
    Meeting (the official one called by our Captain's) is now fixed for City West Hotel tomorrow at 7.30pm.

I hope holding it in City West isn't a bad omen

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

i think you mean that meeting is on wednesday 16th may

• Registered Users Posts: 42 reflog rehtona

Do paid up members include those who were paying by direct debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Anatom wrote: »
    I am dreadfully sorry to hear the news guys. I always love playing (and eating in!) South County and I seriously hope it all gets sorted out. I actually considered it for membership many years ago, but didn't have the shillings at the time. I do know a couple of members there and they are still shellshocked and genuinely worried about their club and its future.

However, parking that for a moment, I'm sorry to say that this thread has become an example of all that is wrong with online discussion threads/boards/forums. It is acting as a huge example to some of my friends, acquaintances and colleagues as to why they would never get it together to join the 21st century and do more stuff online. Without wishing to sound pompous, but if this is the future of "Social Media" than some of you here need to go back to school.

Slagging people off, insinuations and blatant speculation disguised (barely) as insider knowledge have resulted in I don't know how many pages of drivel and even deeper despair for those genuinely concerned at the loss of their money, their membership and their club.

I would like to make a suggestion to the moderators here. Given that we've had several days of "open and honest discussion" on this thread, can we restrict any further commentary on this forum to actual facts / updates (for example, from Wednesday's members' meeting) that may benefit or inform members / interested parties, and let the speculators and naysayers go somewhere else?

Finally, Greebo - a small point (and please take this in the manner in which its intended), but you banned the funniest post on this forum just there! "Banpie" indeed!

Best post in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Silver Fox

Having read most of the 43 pages and knowing some of the SDGC members, I am really sorry for the predicament that you now find yourselves in. Please remember that 2 years ago, we in Knockanally Golf Club found ourselves in a similar situation (without the complication of a landlord changing locks etc). What we found was that the membership is the biggest asset that any Golf Club has. Without members there is nothing except a pay and play facility which will not and cannot survive financially.
    So, stick together, sort your differences, look to those who have good financial and other skills, and make a deal with the interested parties. You will probably have to cough up some extra cash to keep things afloat in the short term, but if enough of you really want it, you can make it happen. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

I can assure you ask that as far as my contributions are concerned, I have done nothing more than tell you what I know. My only "agenda" was to get the facts out.
    That some people would prefer their role and behaviour not be revealed is obvious from the abuse thrown my way from certain quarters. I'll live with that. I hope Wednesday's meeting is constructive and focused on the future. Like Fennetec, I am glad that only those who committed to SCGC for 2012 will be present.
    I'll see (some of you) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Looking forward to the meeting. Hope as many as possible can attend.

Good post Anatom but you need to understand there is alot of anger and emotion attached to this and people have a right to get stuff off their chest. We are still less than a week since the famous 6.21 text message. As I have said before the members and committee are all in this together. We have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. It all came as a shock to most of us and we are all now committed to turn this around. Sometimes people need to be named and shamed and they have been. Half the crap going around isn't posted here thankfully and most of what is actually quite factual. Some strong one sided opinion also.

Personally however im done with the moaning and will be skipping over posts giving out as iv heard it all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Gambino, your contributions are a disgrace.

This is a dreadful time for people, and you're using this time and this forum as an opportunity to put a spin on the story, to blame the members, and to shove the landlord's new plans down everyone's throats, while claiming no bias or connection at all.

Far from having no bias or connection, your contributions read like a spokesperson for a very small, specific corner of stake-holders. You've actually taken over the thread. Having been on Boards.ie nearly 10 years, I and many of us can smell this kind of spoof a mile away. The basic acid test is that you doth protest too much, prefacing most of your statements with "I just have my ear to the ground..." or "a friend told me...". You're fooling no one.

- If 60 long term, founding and stake-holding members with-hold their sub or leave the club, it is not without good reason. Anyone can see this.

- There is no excuse for taking thousands of euro off new and existing members days before shutting the gates.

- The South County story will now go down as a marketing case study, showing the effects of charging long term members €1,900 while publicly advertising €1,000 to brand new members who'll get the same rights.

I highlight these points again, because you're very keen to talk about all sorts of other things, and distract the conversation away from these, the real and indefensible issues.

In truth, the obvious issues are only the tip of the iceberg. The members have a list of grievances around the running of the club, and to their credit, they have not aired these tactlessly on a public forum. I don't speak for them, and won't be going into the issues either. You on the other hand, are all for slinging mud at them in public, trying to create and win a PR war.

You aught to be ashamed of yourself, and if I was in your corner, and you were representing our views like this on Boards.ie, I'd be absolutely mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

The gang up on Gambino is becoming ridiculous. Quoting Shakespeare and all now.

Anyone heard much about the various proposals which are on the table. From talking to different lads from the club they are all saying that there are a number of ideas and suggestions being prepared and some excellent legal representation and advice from our fellow members. Seems we have a stronger corner than i anticipated.

Really looking forward to hearing some positive news Wednesday night. I hope lads haven't jumped ship just yet. If there was a token fee for members for the rest of the year to keep the course maintained and some initiative fund raising ideas that will have the club in good stead going into next year where a good package can be designed for members similar to what Blessington lakes did the club could be well on the road to recovery come next January. Rid the club of <mod edit>board members and elect a really ambitious new board who have the best intentions. Here is hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 emac123

Where are you getting this information? I have an official email from the captain on Sunday saying all members can attend. Just because i was paying DD doesnt mean i was less committed to the club, it simply means i couldnt afford a lump sum. I will be attending regardless, as i want to see this sorted out as much as anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The gang up on Gambino is becoming ridiculous. Quoting Shakespeare and all now.

Anyone heard much about the various proposals which are on the table. From talking to different lads from the club they are all saying that there are a number of ideas and suggestions being prepared and some excellent legal representation and advice from our fellow members. Seems we have a stronger corner than i anticipated.

Really looking forward to hearing some positive news Wednesday night. I hope lads haven't jumped ship just yet. If there was a token fee for members for the rest of the year to keep the course maintained and some initiative fund raising ideas that will have the club in good stead going into next year where a good package can be designed for members similar to what Blessington lakes did the club could be well on the road to recovery come next January. Rid the club of <mod edit> board members and elect a really ambitious new board who have the best intentions. Here is hoping.
    More holidays.
    One more and I close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Do paid up members include those who were paying by direct debit?

Yes, paid up members includes those that were paying by DD.

Gambino, your contributions are a disgrace.

This is a dreadful time for people, and you're using this time and this forum as an opportunity to put a spin on the story, to blame the members, and to shove the landlord's new plans down everyone's throats, while claiming no bias or connection at all.

Far from having no bias or connection, your contributions read like a spokesperson for a very small, specific corner of stake-holders. You've actually taken over the thread. Having been on Boards.ie nearly 10 years, I and many of us can smell this kind of spoof a mile away. The basic acid test is that you doth protest too much, prefacing most of your statements with "I just have my ear to the ground..." or "a friend told me...". You're fooling no one.

- If 60 long term, founding and stake-holding members with-hold their sub or leave the club, it is not without good reason. Anyone can see this.

- There is no excuse for taking thousands of euro off new and existing members days before shutting the gates.

- The South County story will now go down as a marketing case study, showing the effects of charging long term members €1,900 while publicly advertising €1,000 to brand new members who'll get the same rights.

I highlight these points again, because you're very keen to talk about all sorts of other things, and distract the conversation away from these, the real and indefensible issues.

In truth, the obvious issues are only the tip of the iceberg. The members have a list of grievances around the running of the club, and to their credit, they have not aired these tactlessly on a public forum. I don't speak for them, and won't be going into the issues either. You on the other hand, are all for slinging mud at them in public, trying to create and win a PR war.

You aught to be ashamed of yourself, and if I was in your corner, and you were representing our views like this on Boards.ie, I'd be absolutely mortified.

Thanks. I didn't start this thread. I only decided to join because because the hysterical villification of everyone - except those actually responsible for the closure - was p*ssing me off. I'm flattered that you think I've "taken over the thread" but if I managed to move the debate away from that sort of rubbish and introduced a few harsh truths - I'll be happy with my contributions.

Indulge in your conspiracy theories all you want but I have no contact or involvement with the Board or the Kavanaghs. I am as out of pocket from this as anyone else. I paid my sub in full within the last two weeks, as I did every year since the club began. And money doesn't come any easier for me than anyone else either.

It is obvious that those who were campaigning against "the Board" never fully appreciated the precarious situation. Of course "the Board" could have done more or done better. Ultimately they failed to explain/convince/persuade the membership of the situation. But blaming them for not doing so is like a guy who jumps off a bridge and whose last act is to shout criticism at the therapist who didn't stop him doing it.

For the record, I never used either of the phrases that you attribute to me. Nor have I shoved anyone's plans "down everyone's throats". I have merely pointed out that if we want to see a golf course continue at SC, then the landowners are part of the solution. I am as prepared to (reluctantly) walk away as the next member if the deal can't be done but I am not starting from the position that if they get something - anything - from it, then we lose. That is the recipe for a new meadow beside the Lisheen river.

The marketing/pricing policy is a legitimate matter for debate and yes, an EGM to discuss it would have been a good idea. However if a business cannot look for support from its own shareholders AT A TIME WHEN THE MARKET FOR NEW CUSTOMERS IS NOT THERE then it doesn't deserve to stay in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fennetec

emac123 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this information? I have an official email from the captain on Sunday saying all members can attend. Just because i was paying DD doesnt mean i was less committed to the club, it simply means i couldnt afford a lump sum. I will be attending regardless, as i want to see this sorted out as much as anyone

EMAC123, just for you here is the text as I received it from the captains, word for word:
    Following on from our mail sent to you on the 13th of May we can now inform you that the meeting will take place in Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co.Dublin at 7:30 pm.

In order to avoid any embarrassment we inform you that only paid up members can attend this meeting.

Yours in Golf
    Captain Michael, and Lady Captain Sheelagh

Nowhere does it state that if you are paying by direct debit you can't attend. If you have entered an agreement to become a member and have had all your direct debitspaid up to the 6.21am last Tuesday you are legally entitled to attend - no doubt about it. To make my comment clear, the bit I am delighted about is that those who had issues, refused to pay and intended to come along and start to throw their oar in at this stage would not make me a happy man. I am sorry if you were misled by my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Silver Fox wrote: »
    Having read most of the 43 pages and knowing some of the SDGC members, I am really sorry for the predicament that you now find yourselves in. Please remember that 2 years ago, we in Knockanally Golf Club found ourselves in a similar situation (without the complication of a landlord changing locks etc). What we found was that the membership is the biggest asset that any Golf Club has. Without members there is nothing except a pay and play facility which will not and cannot survive financially.
    So, stick together, sort your differences, look to those who have good financial and other skills, and make a deal with the interested parties. You will probably have to cough up some extra cash to keep things afloat in the short term, but if enough of you really want it, you can make it happen. Good luck.

the landlord didnt change the locks. the landlord wants to keep the place open.

the board changed the locks for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emac123

EMAC123, just for you here is the text as I received it from the captains, word for word:
    Following on from our mail sent to you on the 13th of May we can now inform you that the meeting will take place in Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co.Dublin at 7:30 pm.

In order to avoid any embarrassment we inform you that only paid up members can attend this meeting.

Yours in Golf
    Captain Michael, and Lady Captain Sheelagh

Nowhere does it state that if you are paying by direct debit you can't attend. If you have entered an agreement to become a member and have had all your direct debitspaid up to the 6.21am last Tuesday you are legally entitled to attend - no doubt about it. To make my comment clear, the bit I am delighted about is that those who had issues, refused to pay and intended to come along and start to throw their oar in at this stage would not make me a happy man. I am sorry if you were misled by my post.
    perfect, thanks for the clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just out of curiosity, how do they propose to stop people from attending, irrespective of whether or not they have paid fees?

Will they have a bouncer on the door...if you haven't paid your fees you're not coming in, not not tonight, you're not on the list

I would imagine that anyone who entered into some sort of payment scheme, direct debit, etc... would have to be classed as a paying member

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Just out of curiosity, how do they propose to stop people from attending, irrespective of whether or not they have paid fees?

Will they have a bouncer on the door...if you haven't paid your fees you're not coming in, not not tonight, you're not on the list

I would imagine that anyone who entered into some sort of payment scheme, direct debit, etc... would have to be classed as a paying member

:D I can't wait for it, i'll have the video camera out and all and i've never even played south county. With 600+ members i like those odds that I can slip in unnoticed.

A large media presence can be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Gambino wrote: »
    A large media presence can be expected.

Is this just another of your attempts at conjecture, or have you actually any real information to back this up? As somebody who actually works in the media, and with all due respect to the members of SCGC, this is far from news at the moment, and would certainly not justify a report. A filler at most, given these straightened times.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Is this just another of your attempts at conjecture, or have you actually any real information to back this up? As somebody who actually works in the media, and with all due respect to the members of SCGC, this is far from news at the moment, and would certainly not justify a report. A filler at most, given these straightened times.
    None of the above. It was an (obviously unsuccessful) attempt at a humorous response to Redzah's post.

None of the above. It was an (obviously unsuccessful) attempt at a humorous response to Redzah's post.
    I can therefore presume that you have just been taking the piss, to coin a phrase? I have to say the prospect of people losing €1650 plus is no laughing matter in my opinion.

I can therefore presume that you have just been taking the piss, to coin a phrase? I have to say the prospect of people losing €1650 plus is no laughing matter in my opinion.
    All I can say in response to that beauty is that I hope your role in the media doesn't involve anything to do with the media.

All I can say in response to that beauty is that I hope your role in the media doesn't involve anything to do with the media.
    My role in the media is actually beside the point, I was addressing an 'off the cufff' remark you made. Your most recent attempt at deflection is telling to be honest, and actually seems to confirm my suspicions about you, having read the previous 40 odd pages.

Best of luck to the real members of SCGC. I hope it works out. To those of you who have PM'd me, i'll have a look, and if there is anything, I'll PM or email you back.

Ah lay off him for this one, he's only attempting a light hearted joke at my hilarious post :p. Unless you're involved in the entertainment section of the media (which is doubtful based on your above response Mr. Serioushead ;)) then i doubt you'd be asked to cover this story. Its laugh or cry for the people losing €1650. I do sympathise with SC members but your post above is just trying to nail Gambino for the sake of it as u know u have the public support on this forum.

I may not agree with everything he says either but he has provided meaningful debate and a different point of view and info to this thread which is a lot more than you have.

Redzah wrote: »
    Ah lay off him for this one, he's only attempting a light hearted joke at my hilarious post :p. Unless you're involved in the entertainment section of the media (which is doubtful based on your above response Mr. Serioushead ;)) then i doubt you'd be asked to cover this story. Its laugh or cry for the people losing €1650. I do sympathise with SC members but your post above is just trying to nail Gambino for the sake of it as u know u have the public support on this forum.

I may not agree with everything he says either but he has provided meaningful debate and a different point of view and info to this thread which is a lot more than you have.
    Thanks Redzah. I was shattered and disconsolate after being so chastised by all those initials but your support gives me the strength to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DODris

Just received this as i am sure many others have. I have not obviously attached the word document. This meeting is also taking place in the city west hotel. It is starting at 12. Hopefully the members whom have paid full subs for the year will be able to get something back from SCGC.

"Attached is a notice of the creditors meeting of the above named company which will take place on 31st May. If you cannot attend in person you are urged to return your proxy as per the instructions on the notice. The Board"

I only joined the club this year and let me tell you that gathering the money to pay the subs was not easy I could have went to many other clubs for less.

I really enjoyed my time up there even tho it was a short 2 months, most everyone I met or played with were lovely people. I do on the other hand think it is a discrace that they took money from members when people (THE BOARD) knew that the club was in trouble.

I stood in front of the GM of SC in Feburary and asked before i paid my money in full !!! was there any financial difficulty with the club to which I was told absolutly not this is a triving club. !!!

I spoke with Pat Kavanagh and he informed me that he told the club months previous that if he was not paid or an arrangement was not reached that he would take back his land. (SIMPLE AS THAT)

To be perfectly frank I do not believe anyone in relation to this club not the landlords not the board. Some of the stuff we have been told you just could not make it up.

At this stage I just want my hard earned cash back and let me get on finding a new club and playing the game I love (GOLF).

Oh redzah you've called me out. Well done you. I'm a shameless autocrat who has no concern for the masses, only the need to self publicise my own agenda and to basically wind up those who have been supposedly wronged.

Maybe I should start taking the piss and pretending to be a concerned member? Maybe I should BS my way into some position of relevance on this forum? Maybe I should lie?

I think the Sheet summed it up perfectly to be honest.

• Advertisement

Oh redzah you've called me out. Well done you. I'm a shameless autocrat who has no concern for the masses, only the need to self publicise my own agenda and to basically wind up those who have been supposedly wronged.

Maybe I should start taking the piss and pretending to be a concerned member? Maybe I should BS my way into some position of relevance on this forum? Maybe I should lie?

I think the Sheet summed it up perfectly to be honest.

:D Wowsers u have a short fuse, you're almost in Tones69's league (sorry Tonesy). I'm not saying I agree with all that Gambino's saying or the way he said it but he has contributed significantly to this thread and provided an arguement from a different perspective and information to the thread. Surely as somebody who works in the media, you can appreciate that there are numerous sides to any story.

I'm not 'calling you out', to coin a phrase ;). But what i am saying is that your contribution to this thread could be seen as follows;

'I work in the media and if i don't know about it then no media source will be there.'

'I work in the media and i've decided that your post was funny.'

'I work in the media and well done you for calling me out.'

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement