Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AldilaMan wrote: »
    On the drink again tonight I see ;)

No, find the timing for that one strange.

Anyway. Stay clear of golf clubs Tee Times the way to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pavilion , in this day and age on this thread is funny ;):p.

You may get out on the 18 (lol).

Tell that to the pavilion members of Grange, Milltown, Castle, Edmonstown and all the other similar Dublin "City" clubs. Between them they have thousands of pavilion members.

Personally I'd rather be a pavilion member of a club beside me than a distance member of a club that I never see or can drop into for 12 holes or a bit of practice on a Thursday evening...but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GreeBo wrote: »
    Tell that to the pavilion members of Grange, Milltown, Castle, Edmonstown and all the other similar Dublin "City" clubs. Between them they have thousands of pavilion members.

Personally I'd rather be a pavilion member of a club beside me than a distance member of a club that I never see or can drop into for 12 holes or a bit of practice on a Thursday evening...but each to their own I guess.

Can't see lads jumping at it, who were full members and other clubs jumping at them on this thread.

Maybe, but can't see it.

But, can't see how this was ethical. So can't see much. Best of luck to all,

Sickening for them . :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 R25

FAO: Greebo

What would the costs for 7 day membership in the grange be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

20k plus 2k ish a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fennetec

Following a message from the Manager of Rathsallagh (below) I have been asked to clarify as follows;
    Hi
    As there are only a few of us GC’s in East Wicklow and you have excluded the Blessington area so the arrow points in our direction as well as others, and considering this thread is thriving on the rumor mill, I thought I had better let you have the facts on Rathsallagh’s Membership base.

Of the Members leaving , some emigrated, some left for new clubs, a lot of them found themselves is strained financial circumstances, we had a few bereavements, and yes some were probably not happy with us. But there was no mass movement or planned desertion etc.

If you get a chance you might correct you post in relation to this matter not that you have the true facts. Feel free to contact me direct if you want this from the horses mouth so to speak.

Rathsallagh is of course a well run club and I have played there on regular occasions in a well know annual charity outing, maybe the next charity outing I play in will be for a gentleman golf pro with a four month old child who was left with no income in an overnight notification. Unfortunately the management at Rathsallagh think they are in East Wicklow and my geography lesson for today is that Blessington, Hollywood, Donard, and RATHSALLAGH are all in WEST WICKLOW. Rathsallagh describe themselves on their own website as a wedding venue in WEST Wicklow so I am glad to confirm where they are located. Bray, Greystones and down along the coast would be East Wicklow. I am glad to be able to clarify for the management of Rathsallagh where they are located. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

R25 wrote: »
    FAO: Greebo

What would the costs for 7 day membership in the grange be ?

Use the search facility please. You'll find membership costs for most dublin and surrounding counties here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422136&page=13

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Use the search facility please. You'll find membership costs for most dublin and surrounding counties here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422136&page=13

Jaysus, your search facility is amazing. Is it the new google chrome++ which finds things that are not even on the page?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Redzah wrote: »
    Jaysus, your search facility is amazing. Is it the new google chrome++ which finds things that are not even on the page?? :D

Grange and Grange Castle different courses ?

Comes from living in Meath. I get lost when I go to Dublin :D

Grange and Grange Castle different courses ?

Comes from living in Meath. I get lost when I go to Dublin :D

Yep they are!
    In fact you have, Grange, Castle and GrangeCastle...just in case it wasnt confusing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Last pimp post. :o
    For those interested in keeping a GUI handicap PM me for info on a pavilion category that has full playing rights on practice course/ground, restricted times on 18 hole course plus GUI handicap.

Might ease the pain over the summer a little and be easier than distance membership somewhere?

Got 2 of my friends in as Pavillon members last month they are loving it. You can also play the 6 holes as often as you want which have some of the best holes on the course. They are nearly up there every day and given they both work from home get out on the main course once a week for €15.
    Greenbo were you at the meeting on Monday- any chance of them lowering our subs?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Got 2 of my friends in as Pavillon members last month they are loving it. You can also play the 6 holes as often as you want which have some of the best holes on the course. They are nearly up there every day and given they both work from home get out on the main course once a week for €15.
    Greenbo were you at the meeting on Monday- any chance of them lowering our subs?

Hahahahaha :D:D, uh oh he's ridiculing Greenbo :).

In relation to pavillion members its a joke in my opinion, the get to play once a week for €15, u could get a lot of decent courses midweek at the moment for that with no annual sub on top of it.

Funnily enough the finance minister ridiculed pavillion membership today in a speech about the referendum using it as a metaphor to how ireland will be treated in the EU if we vote no in the referendum.

I don't think the subs will go down, but expect them to go up for the lads on half subs etc.

I think the entrance fee will drop significantly though.

Hahahahaha :D:D, uh oh he's ridiculing Greenbo :).

In relation to pavillion members its a joke in my opinion, the get to play once a week for €15, u could get a lot of decent courses midweek at the moment for that with no annual sub on top of it.

Funnily enough the finance minister ridiculed pavillion membership today in a speech about the referendum using it as a metaphor to how ireland will be treated in the EU if we vote no in the referendum.

See thats what happens when you are too busy ridiculing to pay attention.
    Luckycharm said that his friends play once a week, not that thats all pavilions can play.
    Sure you could get a lot of decent courses, but you dont have a GUI handicap, have nowhere to practice, no where to meet people socially and dont have the option of becoming a full member at a discount whenever you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

Pavillion membership (whether you agree with it or not) that includes free golf on 6 holes and a practice ground is a very good deal IMO. I know guys who are pavillion members in one club and they have to pay every time they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

So where does everyone in SC want to move to?

There's deffo no stand out option for me. I have to play Beechpark and see how things go there.

I've never played Slade Valley, should I even bother?

Great deal in Killeen and it's flat. Have never been a member of a flat course. The legs may thank me. Worried about getting there mid-week though.

Any members in Castlewarden?

Quite a few courses to consider and a lot of homework to be done on each one. I'm going to be bringing my accountant and solicitor with me :rolleyes:

Will see how things go tonight at the meeting and may draw up a short list tomorrow and get some help off you guys. Wish us luck!

See thats what happens when you are too busy ridiculing to pay attention.
    Luckycharm said that his friends play once a week, not that thats all pavilions can play.
    Sure you could get a lot of decent courses, but you dont have a GUI handicap, have nowhere to practice, no where to meet people socially and dont have the option of becoming a full member at a discount whenever you want...

You also have nowhere to play 18 holes with pavillion membership Greenbo :D and get looked down upon by full members. Also i'd imagine that in this day and age you could go into a golf club bar and have a drink and some food with the missus without being a member. Or if you want a further aspect if you are friends with a member surely you could drink with them in the bar without being a pavillion member, if golf clubs are still turning these customers away then its madness.

Whyner wrote: »

Of course, why not ?
    You'll get a free game of golf at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Russman wrote: »
    Of course, why not ?
    You'll get a free game of golf at worst.

Cause I've heard it's not great. Are you a member? What's good about it? More info the better.

Cause I've heard it's not great. Are you a member? What's good about it? More info the better.

Yes, I'm a member alright.
    I'm not going to say its the best course in the world or anything like that, but its better than decent, with IMHO maybe 9 or 10 really good holes and 3 or 4 poor ones. The back nine with the 3 new holes is very tough to score on. Front nine is where you have to make your score.
    Yes, there are better courses, but perhaps not many more interesting courses. Its quite hilly but not as crazy as you might hear. Greens are usually extremely good and quick. Tough to score on as there's only one par 5 and the three par 3s aren't that easy. Straight hitting is a must off the tee most of the time.

Lots of people ridiculed it when they played it maybe 15 or 20 years ago but its a different track now.

Mods, apologies for the slightly OT post.

• Advertisement

You also have nowhere to play 18 holes with pavillion membership Greenbo :D and get looked down upon by full members. Also i'd imagine that in this day and age you could go into a golf club bar and have a drink and some food with the missus without being a member. Or if you want a further aspect if you are friends with a member surely you could drink with them in the bar without being a pavillion member, if golf clubs are still turning these customers away then its madness.

Well Redzah it also depends where you live as you say there aren't that many Dublin City courses you can easily get into or ones you might want to play often. They used to play some of the other courses for same price but generally involved 40mins to an hour travel each direction and alot of planning with Missus family not being best pleased.
    Now he is a pavillion member of a decent course which is 3 mins from his house so he will often just pop out for an hour to play a few holes/practise in the morning or you can play in the evenings. He actually worked it out it is much cheaper for him as well as he used to spend a fortune down the driving range. As I said it does help they both work from home so more flexible then most.
    There is something to be said about only being 5/6 mins from the Golf club especially if you live in Dublin. I live 6 mins away :p

Well Redzah it also depends where you live as you say there aren't that many Dublin City courses you can easily get into or ones you might want to play often. They used to play some of the other courses for same price but generally involved 40mins to an hour travel each direction and alot of planning with Missus family not being best pleased.
    Now he is a pavillion member of a decent course which is 3 mins from his house so he will often just pop out for an hour to play a few holes/practise in the morning or you can play in the evenings. He actually worked it out it is much cheaper for him as well as he used to spend a fortune down the driving range. As I said it does help they both work from home so more flexible then most.
    There is something to be said about only being 5/6 mins from the Golf club especially if you live in Dublin. I live 6 mins away :p

This is the key. I would rather pay the money than travel an hour, play for 4+ hours and then another hour home once a week. Golf is too expensive to only play one a week, at the moment I can do something down there 3+ times a week, I can leave the house, practice for an hour and be back home in 70 mins.
    Poor bugger...3 mins here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Only reading this thread now. Feel sorry for the members but am with Greebo here...that's (unfortunately) the way things go. If I was affected, personally, I'd write it off and move on....life's just too short and if the club is ressurected I would imagine it wouldn't be the most positive atmosphere to play golf. Again, condolences to all

This is the key. I would rather pay the money than travel an hour, play for 4+ hours and then another hour home once a week. Golf is too expensive to only play one a week, at the moment I can do something down there 3+ times a week, I can leave the house, practice for an hour and be back home in 70 mins.
    Poor bugger...3 mins here :D

Fair enough, each to their own and differing circumstances dicate views on this. I for one would not be happy with only being able to play 6 holes and use the range or pay €15 but if they have pavillion members then there's clearly a market for it. How is the integration with full members, is there any factions? Do the full members look upon Pavillion members differently and act differently around them? Can pavillion members play on interclub teams? Do they have any competitions i.e. 6 holes 3 times (snore :D)? Is there separate changing rooms for pavillion members?

Sorry i'm going off topic a bit here but i suppose it is an option for SC members if thats what they're after, just not for me.

Fair enough, each to their own and differing circumstances dicate views on this. I for one would not be happy with only being able to play 6 holes and use the range or pay €15 but if they have pavillion members then there's clearly a market for it. How is the integration with full members, is there any factions? Do the full members look upon Pavillion members differently and act differently around them? Can pavillion members play on interclub teams? Do they have any competitions i.e. 6 holes 3 times (snore :D)? Is there separate changing rooms for pavillion members?

Sorry i'm going off topic a bit here but i suppose it is an option for SC members if thats what they're after, just not for me.

Course is 24 holes there are 3 diff courses which integrate some of the 6 holes. You can simply drive out to the 6 holes to play them practise area there as well. Pavillon membership used to rubbish no right no nothing pay for anything it was just used as way to become a Full member as big waiting lists. Now they also have comps on Sat evenings on the main course etc and get GUI membership.
    Pavillon members don't wear a big sign or have a special patch to identify themselves as Pavillon members just a badge with member like the rest of us :P Don't really think anyone is too bothered once they pay their subs.
    Don't think they can play for the club could do with them as we seem to be rubbish - greenbo will know.
    If you live rurally or in a commuter town with loads of courses around you then Pavillion membership prob not a good Idea. If you live in Dublin where there are few good clubs within a short distance and you can be pretty flexible hours wise then it is a good option.
    I don't get as good value for Money as Greenbo as I still play lots of other sport but see it as a long term investment for when I am older and play a good bit in the summer.
    Greenbo with that much practise no wonder you have won the captains twice I will be expecting to see you up there in the other comps as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

So where does everyone in SC want to move to?

There's deffo no stand out option for me. I have to play Beechpark and see how things go there.

Great deal in Killeen and it's flat. Have never been a member of a flat course. The legs may thank me. Worried about getting there mid-week though.

Any members in Castlewarden?

Quite a few courses to consider and a lot of homework to be done on each one. I'm going to be bringing my accountant and solicitor with me :rolleyes:

Will see how things go tonight at the meeting and may draw up a short list tomorrow and get some help off you guys. Wish us luck!
    It's looking like Beech Park for me. I won't be at the meeting tonight as I am working but I just dont see how SC can recover from this.

Course is 24 holes there are 3 diff courses which integrate some of the 6 holes. You can simply drive out to the 6 holes to play them practise area there as well. Pavillon membership used to rubbish no right no nothing pay for anything it was just used as way to become a Full member as big waiting lists. Now they also have comps on Sat evenings on the main course etc and get GUI membership.
    Pavillon members don't wear a big sign or have a special patch to identify themselves as Pavillon members just a badge with member like the rest of us :P Don't really think anyone is too bothered once they pay their subs.
    Don't think they can play for the club could do with them as we seem to be rubbish - greenbo will know.
    If you live rurally or in a commuter town with loads of courses around you then Pavillion membership prob not a good Idea. If you live in Dublin where there are few good clubs within a short distance and you can be pretty flexible hours wise then it is a good option.
    I don't get as good value for Money as Greenbo as I still play lots of other sport but see it as a long term investment for when I am older and play a good bit in the summer.
    Greenbo with that much practise no wonder you have won the captains twice I will be expecting to see you up there in the other comps as well ;)

:D:D:D Love it, ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DODris

I honestly don’t think that Pavilion membership would interest most of the members of SC or should I say former members.

1. I don’t think this thread is a place for recruiting at the moment but i have some thoughts they are below.
    2. Pavilion membership you must be joking to be looked down upon in a club I think ( NOT FOR ME )
    3. There are many fine courses out there at the moment not looking to recruit a lower class ( Pavilion Member ) to keep the coffers going.
    4. These sort of clubs with old members and a unrealistic entrance fee for the year 2012 market will soon find themselves in trouble and with nobody knocking on their door to hand them 20k will happily take your €700 or so for a menial pavilion membership ( this is laughable ) won't be getting my money.
    5. All the members of South County have lost either their share 25k in some cases the loan 3-4k and this year’s subs. Don’t insult us with pavilion membership go blow smoke up someone else’s A**.
    6. I hope tonight we get some truthful answers from the committee and let us all move on.
    P.S I also hope to get back my fee's from the creditors or [part thereof] and then hopefully I will settle into a nice financially secure club and just get on with playing GOLF.

:D:D:D Love it, ignorance is bliss

Greebo/Greenbo - just shows how I often I look in here :p

• Advertisement

DODris wrote: »
    I honestly don’t think that Pavilion membership would interest most of the members of SC or should I say former members.

1. I don’t think this thread is a place for recruiting at the moment but i have some thoughts they are below.
    2. Pavilion membership you must be joking to be looked down upon in a club I think ( NOT FOR ME )
    3. There are many fine courses out there at the moment not looking to recruit a lower class ( Pavilion Member ) to keep the coffers going.
    4. These sort of clubs with old members and a unrealistic entrance fee for the year 2012 market will soon find themselves in trouble and with nobody knocking on their door to hand them 20k will happily take your €700 or so for a menial pavilion membership ( this is laughable ) won't be getting my money.
    5. All the members of South County have lost either their share 25k in some cases the loan 3-4k and this year’s subs. Don’t insult us with pavilion membership go blow smoke up someone else’s A**.
    6. I hope tonight we get some truthful answers from the committee and let us all move on.
    P.S I also hope to get back my fee's from the creditors or [part thereof] and then hopefully I will settle into a nice financially secure club and just get on with playing GOLF.

Highly unlikely that this will happen as you are well down the pecking order underneath the bank €2m, revenue commissioner, landlord and other lease holders.

I don't necessarily think that all these clubs with pavillion members have an ageing membership as they seem to have a decent junior membership of which many will become full members. It just depends on what these clubs charge their juniors to become full members, if its also €20k which is highly unlikely then they're f'ed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement