Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

"South County GC Thread Closed" ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Loire wrote: »
    "South County GC Thread Closed" ?

may well be shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oscar555

I'm intrigued, if the Board didn't run the club as you state then who did? Surely the Board has a responsibility to it's shareholders to manage the affairs of the club professionally, and principle amongst those must be to run the club in a fashion that it's existing members/shareholders (all of whom had paid huge sums for their stake in the club) would have no interest in leaving. Clearly they failed in this regard.

Of course promotional rates are a part of life now, but their purpose is surely to show the customer why a product commands the price that it does, and having tried it, the recipient of the offer then sees the value and continues to purchase.

In South County's case it would seem that those golfers that joined on a promotional rate took the view that a membership at it's full rate wasn't what they expected it to be, and presumably decided to try somewhere else. An interesting question for your Board might be how much of their marketing budget was dedicated to membership retention or were they niavely set on a course where all their resources went into membership recruitment with no thought or budget assigned to the more critical area of membership retention.

It's a sad state of affairs but the Board is ultimately responsible for this situation, not those golfers who left the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

oscar555 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, if the Board didn't run the club as you state then who did? Surely the Board has a responsibility to it's shareholders to manage the affairs of the club professionally, and principle amongst those must be to run the club in a fashion that it's existing members/shareholders (all of whom had paid huge sums for their stake in the club) would have no interest in leaving. Clearly they failed in this regard.

Of course promotional rates are a part of life now, but their purpose is surely to show the customer why a product commands the price that it does, and having tried it, the recipient of the offer then sees the value and continues to purchase.

In South County's case it would seem that those golfers that joined on a promotional rate took the view that a membership at it's full rate wasn't what they expected it to be, and presumably decided to try somewhere else. An interesting question for your Board might be how much of their marketing budget was dedicated to membership retention or were they niavely set on a course where all their resources went into membership recruitment with no thought or budget assigned to the more critical area of membership retention.

It's a sad state of affairs but the Board is ultimately responsible for this situation, not those golfers who left the club.

There may be a misunderstanding here. The Board is just a group of members who volunteered to take responsibility for the financial aspects. They received no fees nor any share in profits. They had no role in club administration.

The calculations presented to us by the Chairman at the last AGM included targets for the number of new members, the estimated number of current members who were expected to leave etc. We were at or just ahead of target for new members. Where it went wrong was the number of current members who did not renew. That only became apparent in the last few weeks.

While "churn" is a fact of life, it was not people flitting from club to club that brought South County down. Some may have left after one "cheap" year but it would be a small percentage of the 120 who didn't renew.

I suggest that your reply rather makes my point - clearly this group of 'volunteer Board members' did not have a very good grasp on the situation. As for your comment that they were 'not involved in the club's administration', is indeed strange, as in most clubs in my experience, the Board is solely responsible in determining the policies and strategies that the club's GM and staff must then follow.

I understand your loyalty to your club and in particular your Board, but their actions would seem to have contributed in no small way to the situation you find yourself.

• Advertisement

The Board can speak for themselves (and presumably will at next week's meeting) but in any conversations I had with any of them - and the club manager - I was of the view that they were acutely aware of the situation and especially of the competitive environment they were operating in. To suggest they wandered blindly into a crisis is well off the mark.

I'm not an apologist or spokeman for the Board. I am not friends with any of them. There are some strong personalities involved who were well able to rub people up the wrong way and I completely agree that communication could have been better - in particular an EGM to thrash it all out when the level of "revolt" became apparent.

However some of the bile being thrown their way here is ridiculous and is no more than a smokescreen for people who want to duck responsibility for their part in the club's demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

#
    The fact that the last President's Dinner was cancelled due to lack of support shows how alienated the membership had become.

vikingdub wrote: »

#
    The fact that the last President's Dinner was cancelled due to lack of support shows how alienated the membership had become.
    I think it more accurately reflects that some members were so embroiled in their faction fights that they lost sight of what the club was for. (That and the fact that the date clashed with a rugby international)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Gambino wrote: »
    I think it more accurately reflects that some members were so embroiled in their faction fights that they lost sight of what the club was for. (That and the fact that the date clashed with a rugby international)

Still supporting the board on every decision they make no matter how dangerous or just plain ill thought out. How dare you dismiss 120 long standing members as "faction fighters", the fact remains that this Board failed miserably in their duty to the members and though their arrogant incompetence have managed to close the club down. An EGM should have been called but they preferred to sneak away like thieves in the night.

vikingdub wrote: »

Still supporting the board on every decision they make no matter how dangerous or just plain ill thought out. How dare you dismiss 120 long standing members as "faction fighters", the fact remains that this Board failed miserably in their duty to the members and though their arrogant incompetence have managed to close the club down. An EGM should have been called but they preferred to sneak away like thieves in the night.
    I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

charlieIRL wrote: »
    may well be shortly.

I think for all on here, the issues at stake are far too serious to be had out on a forum.

Just my opinion, not trying to be a back seat mod.

Just want people to look after themselves and go to meetings. Give up on this stuff here, nothing will be solved here.

Sorry , people lost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Some of us would like to see what happens here over the coming weeks / months, especially given that more of the same could follow wrt other courses around the country.

I for one would also love to still get the opportunity to get out and play SouthCounty sometime.

Let' see what transpires...

Kace wrote: »
    Some of us would like to see what happens here over the coming weeks / months, especially given that more of the same could follow wrt other courses around the country.

I for one would also love to still get the opportunity to get out and play SouthCounty sometime.

Let' see what transpires...

It will be an interesting test case. I am sure it will be watched closely.

Meanwhile you can play South County any time you want. It's open!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Go up and play it. I played yesterday after work and really enjoyed it .Place was very quiet. 5 cars in car park.

Course was pretty decent, playing again Sat morning and looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Whyner wrote: »
    Go up and play it. I played yesterday after work and really enjoyed it .Place was very quiet. 5 cars in car park.

Have you taken up the option for the rest of the year?

I understand the committee will get back to us first, (next Thursday I heard) as they also need to come up with a figure for annual sub starting Jan 2013.

I understand the committee will get back to us first, (next Thursday I heard) as they also need to come up with a figure for annual sub starting Jan 2013.
    The "old" club has to be would up and the liquidation finished before we can move on to the next stage. The meeting on the 31st is a step along that road. Meanwhile its pay & play.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did you notice any difference anywhere in course condition?
    Fairaways, Putting green/Practice area, bunkers etc?

Our course manager said that the biggest use of his staffs time is bunker maintenance, so would be interested to hear how the bunkers fair as time goes by.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Did you notice any difference anywhere in course condition?
    Fairaways, Putting green/Practice area, bunkers etc?

Our course manager said that the biggest use of his staffs time is bunker maintenance, so would be interested to hear how the bunkers fair as time goes by.

Fairways were perfect. First and second cuts not great, the grass that was cut was lying everywhere. Isn't all cut grass collected?

Greens were a little hairy and slower. Your right, bunkers stood out the most. Don't seem to have been raked for a few days. Long grass and weeds growing in those areas that may be difficult to cut without the right machinery.

I don't like paying E10 but I'd prefer that to the price on any other course, e.g E22.5 for Delgany on teetimes.

Didn't check out the practice areas closely but they appeared to have been maintained.

I guess I mean 'decent' in comparison to expectations

I miss my comps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Fairways were perfect. First and second cuts not great, the grass that was cut was lying everywhere. Isn't all cut grass collected?

Greens were a little hairy and slower. Your right, bunkers stood out the most. Don't seem to have been raked for a few days. Long grass and weeds growing in those areas that may be difficult to cut without the right machinery.

I don't like paying E10 but I'd prefer that to the price on any other course, e.g E22.5 for Delgany on teetimes.

Didn't check out the practice areas closely but they appeared to have been maintained.

I guess I mean 'decent' in comparison to expectations

I miss my comps...

The only grass collected on a golf course is from the greens and the collars and approaches to the greens. The rest is not collected but if it is not cut often enough, you get those grass clippings and clumps because there is basically too much grass to be finely mulched.

Bunkers are definitely time consuming but if anything was the be neglected slightly because of a lack of time/staff, I would opt for the bunkers too. Cutting the greens EVERY day should be the priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The "old" club has to be would up and the liquidation finished before we can move on to the next stage. The meeting on the 31st is a step along that road. Meanwhile its pay & play.

Gambino,

Is this to do with company law or are you getting this info from the Board/Club? I have only received a rather vague email from the Captains since the meeting which was nine days ago now.

The lack of information has been the most annoying thing about this whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

They seem to have access to your previous branding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

scubapro wrote: »

"€30 for a Round of Golf for 2 with Light Refreshments at one of the best parkland courses in the country - The South County Golf Club, Brittas, Co. Dublin."
    now that's stretching it, who comes up with these advertising fallacies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ismee

yes, the bunkers where crap? but that's to be expected since the you no what hit the fan, the level of expiation is quite large but then that's what i paid the big money, the grass was cut and yes there was lots of clippings around the course participatory the second cut of rough also the guy cutting the 10th hollow in front of the green had massive problems with the tractor and gang mower skidding? look back from the green towards the tee box:eek: twice he tried to get across and the wheels just keep skidding look the place is never going to be the same. we have to get over it, time to move on had huge problem yes very very disappointing:mad: with board not telling us serverty of the sitition just could have said EGM you all no the situation; yous wind it up?,it you have to or you come up with plan fund raiser or something else just whould have sitted so much better, maybe with so many minds and captains off industrially???? some one might have had solition maby not who nos?: you don't try w
    ill never know better to have loved and gone home empty handed: then not tryed at all never never give up The sounth county golf club will go forward i hope here is to many years ahead i hope see you all Sunday

ArielAtom wrote: »

Gambino,

Is this to do with company law or are you getting this info from the Board/Club? I have only received a rather vague email from the Captains since the meeting which was nine days ago now.

The lack of information has been the most annoying thing about this whole debacle.
    Common sense. Nothing new can happen until the old situation is put to bed.

Common sense seems to have been missing in Southcounty for some time, but I do take the condescending tone in the way it was meant.

Common sense seems to have been missing in Southcounty for some time, but I do take the condescending tone in the way it was meant.
    I agree about the lack of common sense. Baffled by your interpretation of my tone as condescending. You asked a question and I answered it.

Did anyone from SC go to Junior Cup today? I am away and could not get there. Did they qualify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Did anyone from SC go to Junior Cup today? I am away and could not get there. Did they qualify?
    They didn't qualify. Not sure where they finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement