Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

You really are an arrogant person. I wasnt at the meeting and wont be back but it seems that all you can do is snipe at people who were there. it must be a terrible burden for you as a highly intelligent person to have to deal with as you say in your own words "idiots".
    It might be better for you if a new club is formed to move on and find like minded people who can communicate on your level. God help that golf club.
    It seems to me that South County would have been a better place if you had never been a member.
    Oh get off the stage. If it is "arrogant" to require that a discussion be based around facts - then yep, I'm the arrogant one. If it is "arrrogant" to look at all sides of an issue, instead of constantly seeking scapegoats amongst those who freely gave their time and expertise - then yep, that's me again.

I bought my share, paid my loan and paid my annual sub in full and on time every year. The club's history and finances since 1999 were detailed yesterday for everyone to see. I have no more information than that. The facts are plain - the current board got the club into a decent financial state by 2008/2009 and had secured bank support for five years from 2011. The only condition was that members would continue to support it and this they failed to do. Some of the "dedicated" members bled €100,000 from the club's income by failing to meet their subscription commitments. Yet they continued to enjoy the club's facilities in full - while still griping, complaining, faction fighting and conspiring against "the board".

Some of those who got deals last year - and the year before - were refused this time and didn't like it. The Board was their convenient target. Now that the club has failed and they can no longer sit and bitch at the bar, they continue their pathetic diatribes and vendettas in here.

Since this thread started I've been accused of being an apologist for the board, the Kavanaghs and God knows who else. As yesterday demonstrated, I have merely being pointing out some truths that some of you find uncomfortable. Well tough sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Gambino, you might let us know where you intend joining if Southcounty fails to rise from the ashes?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Gambino, you might let us know where you intend joining if Southcounty fails to rise from the ashes?
    Nah, lets surprise each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

A club that is financially non-viable , with not enough members, divided into at least two factions who appear neither to be able to trust each other or even stand each other, leading to a poisonous atmosphere in the clubhouse.

Sounds like the end to me. Too many clubs, and it seems, unfortunately, that SCGC will be one of the ones that won't survive

Gambino wrote: »
    Nah, lets surprise each other.

Nah let's not.

• Advertisement

ankles wrote: »
    A club that is financially non-viable , with not enough members, divided into at least two factions who appear neither to be able to trust each other or even stand each other, leading to a poisonous atmosphere in the clubhouse.
    Sounds like the end to me. Too many clubs, and it seems, unfortunately, that SCGC will be one of the ones that won't survive
    Fair comment, although the poisonous stuff was only apparent if you mixed in the wrong circles. Most of us just went out, played and enjoyed each others company. The last business plan didn't work, mostly due to unsustainable inherited debt. The next model starts from a stronger, debt free, position so it has a chance. That chance will be all the better without the help of the dedicated members who brought us to where we are.

Fair comment, although the poisonous stuff was only apparent if you mixed in the wrong circles. Most of us just went out, played and enjoyed each others company. The last business plan didn't work, mostly due to unsustainable inherited debt. The next model starts from a stronger, debt free, position so it has a chance. That chance will be all the better without the help of the dedicated members who brought us to where we are.

Well if you are privvy to all the poisonous stuff you must have been mixing in one of the factions.

Well if you are privvy to all the poisonous stuff you must have been mixing in one of the factions.
    Not all thankfully. Just the bits I couldn't avoid. You guys are so loud.

As another poster has posted, the lady doth protest to much!!!!

As another poster has posted, the lady doth protest to much!!!!
    You really have no idea.

• Advertisement

Your probably right, being up there for only two years I did not get to meet to many. But I must say your posts are doing nothing for the club. You have a serious chip on your shoulder over members who left. From what I've been told the developers seem to have set the ball rolling towards the failure of the club.

Your probably right, being up there for only two years I did not get to meet to many. But I must say your posts are doing nothing for the club. You have a serious chip on your shoulder over members who left. From what I've been told the developers seem to have set the ball rolling towards the failure of the club.
    Yeah, its all my fault. The chips will fall where they do. I'll be doing my best to make it work and I'm looking forward to working with others with the same intention. The rest of it is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cherryman

Now lets all move on and see how much better the landlords can do and bear in mind that they have a top golf course (cost probably
    €10m to develop and get to its current level of excellence) for free. This is on the backs of the previous members who have poured and avaerage of €30,000 each into the club in share fees and subs. Personally I cannot see why the members who have lost so much should support them but everyone will decide for themselves.

cherryman wrote: »
    Now lets all move on and see how much better the landlords can do and bear in mind that they have a top golf course (cost probably
    €10m to develop and get to its current level of excellence) for free. This is on the backs of the previous members who have poured and avaerage of €30,000 each into the club in share fees and subs. Personally I cannot see why the members who have lost so much should support them but everyone will decide for themselves.
    Its not the landlords fault that the club screwed up. He didn't break any contract. Begrudgery towards the Kavanaghs is both pointless and self defeating. It is in his and our interest that it succeeds; we can't win unless he does. Get over it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Golfingfanatic

The unfortunate fact is that the landlords will not succeed unless they change their approach. They were given €1m key for the purchase of the lease and having leased out a marshland have received back a pristine championship golf course with excellent potential if marketed correctly. One of them, however, is adamant that he will not invest one cent of his own money in the facility. A very poor business decision and one that is already beginning to bear fruit in the condition of the greens. Those members hoping to make a go of it won't hang around for long if the course is not maintained to the standard they are used to. I dearly want it to succeed, but just don't see it unless something changes and quickly.

The unfortunate fact is that the landlords will not succeed unless they change their approach. They were given €1m key for the purchase of the lease and having leased out a marshland have received back a pristine championship golf course with excellent potential if marketed correctly. One of them, however, is adamant that he will not invest one cent of his own money in the facility. A very poor business decision and one that is already beginning to bear fruit in the condition of the greens. Those members hoping to make a go of it won't hang around for long if the course is not maintained to the standard they are used to. I dearly want it to succeed, but just don't see it unless something changes and quickly.
    I don't know who is paying for the current upkeep if not the landlords. The greens were superb yesterday, as were the fairways.
    The landlords would not have "received back" a golf course if the people who were playing golf on their land had kept their part of the bargain - to each other as well as to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

I don't know who is paying for the current upkeep if not the landlords. The greens were superb yesterday, as were the fairways.
    The landlords would not have "received back" a golf course if the people who were playing golf on their land had kept their part of the bargain - to each other as well as to them.
    Yawn

At the risk of keeping sodbuster awake, I should add that the course is playing 2 or 3 shots harder as the rough is more severe in spots. Especially in among the saplings; if you go in there - hit another one.
    I don't think its a deliberate policy, just a matter of not yet having all the necessary equipment. But if you hit it straight, its as good as it has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Masterlad

cherryman wrote: »

In all honesty , do you think that the landlords who are in their 70s and retired , really want this burden . I think fair play to them for keeping the club open for the members . And I for one will support them in every way i can , and i do hope people get over the unfortunates and try building a better club without any board.
    I played there last weekend with a group of visitors and i have to say that we were all surprised how great the course was and in great condition, in fact its probably the best That i have seen .
    i for one along with some collegues will deffo be supporting the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

I have a Living Social deal to play at South Dublin does anyone know if the landlords will accept it? Or do you know who I should contact to inquire about same, eg info@southcountygolf.ie?

• Advertisement

reo49 wrote: »
    I have a Living Social deal to play at South Dublin does anyone know if the landlords will accept it? Or do you know who I should contact to inquire about same, eg info@southcountygolf.ie?
    You could always ask but I don't think think the website or email are running so better to phone. What was the deal? Green fees are pretty keen now anyway so may not be much difference.
    If the main number isn't working (it was down the other day) there is a mobile but I don't know if it is allowed to put that up in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Anyone know how much the Green Fees are at the moment as a matter of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Kace wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the Green Fees are at the moment as a matter of interest ?

€15 as far as I know.

It might be €20 for "walk ins". I think €15 is for guests of members.

Has it been resolved? You say guests of members, is the club up and running again? I have not received a mail to that effect.

Has it been resolved? You say guests of members, is the club up and running again? I have not received a mail to that effect.
    Not resolved yet as far as I know. These are just the rates being applied by the landlord in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Not resolved yet as far as I know. These are just the rates being applied by the landlord in the interim.

Apologies for the additional question but is there any sort of timesheet/booking system or do you just arrive and head out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Ring up and book, they have a timesheet

Whyner wrote: »
    Ring up and book, they have a timesheet

Have tried the old number and not working!!!!

• Advertisement

I think the phone is disconnected while the liquidation goes through (presumably the account has been terminated.)

There is a mobile <snip>. However you would probably get out if you just turn up as its not that busy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement