Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

anyone know the last tee off time is in Dublin mountain golf club?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Gambino wrote: »
    we got a few in druids heath i think.

if anyone's looking for membership ill split the reference fee
    The great majority of those who paid their 2012 sub are staying and will play it by ear after this year. Its a reasonable assumption that those who have laid out subs in other clubs had not paid in SC. In which case they will be missed terribly.
    Not any of the members I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

we got a few in druids heath i think.

if anyone's looking for membership ill split the reference fee
    The great majority of those who paid their 2012 sub are staying and will play it by ear after this year. Its a reasonable assumption that those who have laid out subs in other clubs had not paid in SC. In which case they will be missed terribly.
    Maybe you need to widen your circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Unless you have a factual update or question please do not post in this thread.
    The next snipe/personal attack gets a 1 month ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Actually most of the members I know that paid up front and had initially intended to stay, are all now thinking about moving elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Actually most of the members I know that paid up front and had initially intended to stay, are all now thinking about moving elsewhere.
    I wouldn't blame them. It pains me to say it but I just don't see a future for SCGC.

Quite a few were up over the weekend. There was also a small outing there yesterday and a number of them were enquiring about membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Gambino, it has been stated in previous posts that the number of shareholders who did not renew was 55. Where are you now getting your figure of 78?

Quite a few were up over the weekend. There was also a small outing there yesterday and a number of them were enquiring about membership.

Quantify quite a few?

As I said most of the members "I know" (and would play regularly with) are not intending to stay any more. They were not up over the weekend either as they are p1ssed off with the lack of communication (there was 2 emails since the initial members meeting which IMO not acceptable), and also playing elsewhere. Most had initially intended to stay until the end of year, based on the new club and the extra 150 fee; but all just want to get back playing golf and are now looking seriously at other options.

I wouldn't blame them. It pains me to say it but I just don't see a future for SCGC.
    We'll see. Its still a better course than any other in the area (and any of those mentioned above.) With no debt, reduced overheads and a scaled down clubhouse operation it is in a better situation than most. It won't be the same club we joined and built up over the last ten years but life goes on.

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Gambino, it has been stated in previous posts that the number of shareholders who did not renew was 55. Where are you now getting your figure of 78?
    As I recall, 78 was the number given at the meeting at City west. I'm open to correction on that.

As I recall, 78 was the number given at the meeting at City west. I'm open to correction on that.

I'll check with someone who was at the meeting and get back.

I'll check with someone who was at the meeting and get back.

No it wasn't. I was at that meeting.

Quantify quite a few?

As I said most of the members "I know" (and would play regularly with) are not intending to stay any more. They were not up over the weekend either as they are p1ssed off with the lack of communication (there was 2 emails since the initial members meeting which IMO not acceptable), and also playing elsewhere. Most had initially intended to stay until the end of year, based on the new club and the extra 150 fee; but all just want to get back playing golf and are now looking seriously at other options.
    Couldn't tell you the exact number but the car park was busy and plenty of familiar faces.
    Complaining about lack of communication is pretty unreasonable. As I understand it the committees are hard at it but things have to be done properly - starting with the liquidation. When that's done (and I'm told it is) things can move.
    If people have other options then they can take them up but a bit daft to walk away at this point.

No it wasn't. I was at that meeting.

How many shareholders did they say had not renewed their membership?

Spoke to a shareholder who was at meeting. 55 is the figure mentioned. Why would someone post 55 previously then up it to 78?????

Fishy!!!!

Spoke to a shareholder who was at meeting. 55 is the figure mentioned. Why would someone post 55 previously then up it to 78?????

Fishy!!!!

Yeah that sounds right. Certainly it was in the 50's and not 78.

Fishy!!!!

As I say, my recollection was 78 on one of the slides in TF'a presentation but if I mis-remembered, well shoot me.

Fishy!!!!

As I say, my recollection was 78 on one of the slides in TF'a presentation but if I mis-remembered, well shoot me.
    Someone tells me it was 57. Sorry about that. I'm still thinking I saw 78 for something but God knows what.
    I'm sure one of my many fans and admirers in here will tell me.

Someone tells me it was 57. Sorry about that. I'm still thinking I saw 78 for something but God knows what.
    I'm sure one of my many fans and admirers in here will tell me.

As has been stated it was 55. You posted 55 in a previous post. Just pointing out the change in numbers by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Anyhoo...for those who are intrestested I played the course yesterday, Tried booking a teetime but phone was disconnected. Read this thread and decided just to head up early doors with a few friends and we got out no bother as the place was very quiet.

I have played it a few times in the past. Thought the course was in fantastic nick, fairways are perfect and the greens were as hard to read as ever. Some of the bunkers were unplayable but i suppose thats to be expected after the rain on Friday. For 20 euro you wont get better value in golf thats for sure. All the way around though me and my friends were looking at how quiet it was (I know the phones were disconnected etc) thinking surely they are only treading water until the inevitable happens and they close the gates.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Anyhoo...for those who are intrestested I played the course yesterday, Tried booking a teetime but phone was disconnected. Read this thread and decided just to head up early doors with a few friends and we got out no bother as the place was very quiet.

I have played it a few times in the past. Thought the course was in fantastic nick, fairways are perfect and the greens were as hard to read as ever. Some of the bunkers were unplayable but i suppose thats to be expected after the rain on Friday. For 20 euro you wont get better value in golf thats for sure. All the way around though me and my friends were looking at how quiet it was (I know the phones were disconnected etc) thinking surely they are only treading water until the inevitable happens and they close the gates.
    We are in an interregnum, while the old club gets a decent funeral and the new one gets its wings. I don't know how the day to day finances are going but it was reasonably busy yesterday afternoon/evening. The landlords are prepared to cover operating costs and Pat Kavanagh says they are in the market for additional machinery and he is open to suggestions about what needs to be done.
    According to Kavanagh the liquidation is done and he has freedom to act. The phones are reported to be back and I hope we hear from the Captains/Committee soon about the resumption of competitions etc. It remains to be seen how many "old" members return when the competitions restart and playing costs are sorted. As you saw yesterday, it is still a great course and potentially a fine club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stoorie

I'm a "lifer" at South County who also played over the week-end. Summary - better than expected.

Tee boxes are good, but the Par 3 ones appear to have had no repairs on them for weeks. Fairways are excellent, first cut is longer than it was but very generous. Big problem with the rough is amongst the trees and saplings, between 1 and 2, 2 and 4, 5 and 6 and 14 and 15 for example, i.e. places where high handicappers like me hit the ball. It's a gonner at the moment. Something will have to be done with this before any comps start or it'll take 5 hours to get round.

Greens are better than I expected and maybe not much worse than they typically were at this time of year when the seed is coming through. Rolling true and not slow.

Biggest problem is the bunkers as mentioned above - aside from not being properly raked, many are simply devoid, or almost devoid of sand. Recent rain hasn't helped, but fixing them will cost money.

Like others, I've heard that the Committees hope to have the Men's and Ladies' Clubs up and running again very soon and we should hear something this week. But I also hear that many have already moved on so am concerned about how many will re-join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Stoorie wrote: »
    I'm a "lifer" at South County who also played over the week-end. Summary - better than expected.

Tee boxes are good, but the Par 3 ones appear to have had no repairs on them for weeks. Fairways are excellent, first cut is longer than it was but very generous. Big problem with the rough is amongst the trees and saplings, between 1 and 2, 2 and 4, 5 and 6 and 14 and 15 for example, i.e. places where high handicappers like me hit the ball. It's a gonner at the moment. Something will have to be done with this before any comps start or it'll take 5 hours to get round.

Greens are better than I expected and maybe not much worse than they typically were at this time of year when the seed is coming through. Rolling true and not slow.

Biggest problem is the bunkers as mentioned above - aside from not being properly raked, many are simply devoid, or almost devoid of sand. Recent rain hasn't helped, but fixing them will cost money.

Like others, I've heard that the Committees hope to have the Men's and Ladies' Clubs up and running again very soon and we should hear something this week. But I also hear that many have already moved on so am concerned about how many will re-join.

I actually prefer it with the rough, just hit a provie, was way too easy beforehand.

Yeah, bunkers are in bits. I'm hanging around to see what happens. I love the course and say my prayers every night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Nozebleed wrote: »
    just back from the course,headed up at 5.30 without notice. had no problems playing a round,we're welcomed by a very nice lady in fairness..it was quiet enough,course was in very good condition..for €10 you just cant go wrong. i'll play it again anyway.

You just posted in the 'How did you score' thread that you played Dublin Mountain.

I think you might be getting the two places mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

link_2007 wrote: »
    You just posted in the 'How did you score' thread that you played Dublin Mountain.

I think you might be getting the two places mixed up.

yep..sorry bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

charlieIRL wrote: »
    spot on, We'll organise something when i get home from the hols.

Sure give us a shout when you are back and we can give you the grand tour

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

I don't see it as a big deal if the bunkers are " in bits". Bunkers are hazards, if there is grass and weeds in them so be it.

As for rough, so be it to, there are to many of these namby pamby golf courses with rough cut to an inch high.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't see it as a big deal if the bunkers are " in bits". Bunkers are hazards, if there is grass and weeds in them so be it.

As for rough, so be it to, there are to many of these namby pamby golf courses with rough cut to an inch high.

Hazard != Unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Sorry but bunkers are designed to be played out of with the right technique - few things worse than bunkers with half an inch of sand then rock hard underneath - makes playing out of them a lottery as your club bounces off the hard stuff :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement