Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Ding Ding wrote: »

Another naysayer gone, what will we do now. The new club will be one of the most positive in the country. People will have to find something else to throw they're stones at now.

I understand that the course is a bit tough for some and as a result they are inclined to call easier course 'better' ones.

Never missed a days golf in last year there and only 1 day on temp greens. Now in newlands, hermitage, etc how are those stats!
    Ha I'm happy to see you are glad ex members are walking. Lets know how that attitude should work in the 'new club'. Had this all of been handled better I'd be still there and a very happy quiet member going about my business as I always was there.

In terms of difficulty you are delusional if you think it's a particularly difficult course. Be as wild as you like off the tee and you still have a chance of par 90% of the time. Other courses near by will punish you. The only thing that makes the place hard is that bloody wind!! Nice calm dry day there isn't a course out there better for your confidence.

As regards golf last year. The only month were there was little or no golf anywhere was Novermber. I never said the course was unplayable by the way. But you know yourself if the weather is any way poor down below the course it's 10 times worse up there. No protection with trees and you get blown off the tee box while your face is being battered with hail stones and rain. And I am far from a fair weather golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

gboru wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. The club is affiliated, not the course. At the moment scgc is affiliated and would continue to be so if the current membership and committee wanted to do so. They would have to find another course in the medium term but the GUI would give them time. The only way I could see the situation changing is if an egm of the current club was called and a new committee elected that the landlords like and one willing to accept all terms etc. What I am saying is that i think this stuff will take time to work through and it won't happen fast.

Which bit of THE "CURRENT" CLUB NO LONGER EXISTS are you having difficulty with? The committee has no status or standing. They had a value in offering the potential to be available as a readymade committee for the new club but if that doesn't happen,a new committee will take up where they left off. You don't carry a pre approved GUI affiliation around, ready to be dropped on a course of your choice. You need a club and a course and the course isn't going anywhere. Everything else can be replaced.
    I would have been happy if the committee from the former club stayed with it but if they choose not to, we move on without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gboru

Gambino wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. The club is affiliated, not the course. At the moment scgc is affiliated and would continue to be so if the current membership and committee wanted to do so. They would have to find another course in the medium term but the GUI would give them time. The only way I could see the situation changing is if an egm of the current club was called and a new committee elected that the landlords like and one willing to accept all terms etc. What I am saying is that i think this stuff will take time to work through and it won't happen fast.

Which bit of THE "CURRENT" CLUB NO LONGER EXISTS are you having difficulty with? The committee has no status or standing. They had a value in offering the potential to be available as a readymade committee for the new club but if that doesn't happen,a new committee will take up where they left off. You don't carry a pre approved GUI affiliation around, ready to be dropped on a course of your choice. You need a club and a course and the course isn't going anywhere. Everything else can be replaced.
    I would have been happy if the committee from the former club stayed with it but if they choose not to, we move on without them.
    I think that's where you are wrong? The current committee is in place until they either resign or are voted off at an egm. They have standing with the current members and the GUI. They cannot just be replaced by some random committee purporting to represent scgc and I am sure the GUI would take a dim view if that was attempted without a proper process. While i agree that they are a club without a course that could be remedied - a remote possibility but one nonetheless. Bottom line a process will need to be followed which will take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The current committee gboru is a committee of something that no longer exists so basically they have no power to do anything mate.

Gambino, As much as it pains me to say it is right this time

I think that's where you are wrong? The current committee is in place until they either resign or are voted off at an egm. They have standing with the current members and the GUI. They cannot just be replaced by some random committee purporting to represent scgc and I am sure the GUI would take a dim view if that was attempted without a proper process. While i agree that they are a club without a course that could be remedied - a remote possibility but one nonetheless. Bottom line a process will need to be followed which will take a bit of time.
    An EGM of what? The South County Golf Club 2004 is GONE, FINISHED, OUT OF BUSINESS, LIQUIDATED. The committee took its authority from the Board. The Board ceased to be when the club passed the motion of voluntary liquidation. The old committee is a collection of individuals with no more authority than you or I. They hold title to nothing.

There is a new club in formation called South County Golf Club 2012. That club has right of access to the course at Lisheen. That club and only that club is in a position to talk to the GUI. There is no other South County Golf Club.

• Advertisement

An EGM of what? The South County Golf Club 2004 is GONE, FINISHED, OUT OF BUSINESS, LIQUIDATED. The committee took its authority from the Board. The Board ceased to be when the club passed the motion of voluntary liquidation. The old committee is a collection of individuals with no more authority than you or I. They hold title to nothing.

There is a new club in formation called South County Golf Club 2012. That club has right of access to the course at Lisheen. That club and only that club is in a position to talk to the GUI. There is no other South County Golf Club.
    You both may be right. Im just thinking things through? Currently the GUI/ILGU has scgc registered and affiliated. I think we can agree on that? The elected officers of that club are the only ones the GUI will deal with in relation to that club. You can't just ring them up one day and say we are the new committee of this club without having conducted an egm. Especially mid year? They would need to be informed by the current officers that the club is no more. The new club would then register as a new club and the affiliation process would begin for the new club? Am I missing something???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It's not affiliated though and will have to become re affiliated, I suspect this will be fast tracked to preserve what ever was left

You both may be right. Im just thinking things through? Currently the GUI/ILGU has scgc registered and affiliated. I think we can agree on that? The elected officers of that club are the only ones the GUI will deal with in relation to that club. You can't just ring them up one day and say we are the new committee of this club without having conducted an egm. Especially mid year? They would need to be informed by the current officers that the club is no more. The new club would then register as a new club and the affiliation process would begin for the new club? Am I missing something???
    The GUI/ILGU HAD SCGC affiliated. That lapsed when the club went into liquidation. As I understand it, the GUI is willing to fast track the re-activation of that affililation when the new club is formed and they were working with the old committee on the assumption of continuity. The GUI would still need confirmation from the owners that the club is in existence amd entitled to play there. The course has already been "approved" so other than an inspection to confirm all is well, there is nothing that would take much time.

However, the only people the GUI can now communicate with are the owners of the new club and those operating under the remit of that new club. That club will have its own Memo and Arts and constitution, which may or may not require an election process for captain, committee etc. They could as easily be appointed by the owners and the GUI would have no probem with that. Democracy is not a requirement for GUI affiliation.

It's not affiliated though and will have to become re affiliated, I suspect this will be fast tracked to preserve what ever was left
    I think the key question is whether scgc 2012 will be viewed by the GUI as a new application. Having experienced engaging with them during my kilternan years, my humble opinion is that it will be viewed as a new application for affiliation. Then it becomes a question of timeframes and these guys don't fastrack. They will want to see a draft constitution of the new club and who the officers are. As I mentioned before, no committee meeting of the GUI is planned until sept or oct. and I don't see them calling an emergency meeting just to discuss scgc 2012??

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Absolutely not a hope will the GUI fast track anything. And i know. Its a completely new club. Some people seem to be struggling understanding this. Its a complex situation and the GUI will need assurances.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not a hope will the GUI fast track anything. And i know. Its a completely new club. Some people seem to be struggling understanding this. Its a complex situation and the GUI will need assurances.

So was the committee wrong in believing that it would be sorted in a few weeks? Was the GUI leading them on in telling them it would?

I tend to agree with you. Not only will they follow their process to the letter, they will be aware of the issues regarding the bank currenlty claiming a lien on the clubhouse etc. They will question the validity of PL insurance etc. etc. It took them 2 months just to review a previous club constitution I was involved with. Those who think this will all be straightforward and quick are IMO misguided. The ILGU are even slower I hear? So ladies, expect some delays.

So was the committee wrong in believing that it would be sorted in a few weeks? Was the GUI leading them on in telling them it would?
    Not necessarily. For the old club it would have been fairly straightforward. IMO this is a brand new affiliation application. So, a different beast altogether. They will follow their process and procedures.

Pray how was it ever going to be the "OLD" club? From the day it went into liquidation the GUI knew it was going to be dealing with a new club. According to the captain, GUI still assured them it could happen quickly. The need to arrange a new committee may cause a slight delay but that would be a club, rather than GUI delay. It would not alter the overall GUI attitude to getting the club back in business.
    Maybe we will learn more on Monday.

Pray how was it ever going to be the "OLD" club? From the day it went into liquidation the GUI knew it was going to be dealing with a new club. According to the captain, GUI still assured them it could happen quickly. The need to arrange a new committee may cause a slight delay but that would be a club, rather than GUI delay. It would not alter the overall GUI attitude to getting the club back in business.
    Maybe we will learn more on Monday.

The GUI couldn't care less about the old Board or the Property or Ltd company. They are only interested in the Mens Club, it's constitution and the officers of that club. Same for the ILGU and the ladies. They are also interested in their affiliation fees. My understanding was they were giving the 'old' club the breathing space to get back on the current course and be in a position to continue as a club. This would have been the easiest and simplest approach as the club was already affiliated and had known officers and an agreed constitution that was accepted by the GUI/ILGU. The fact that the landlord has now said they are going to set up their own club is a game changer. I believe the new club will require a new application for affiliation. Unfortunately, these things are black and white and you can't have your cake and eat it. You can't claim on the one hand that the 'old' club is now dead in the water, ceases to exist, is no more (sounds like the parrot sketch) and then try and somehow fast track a new committee and new club in under the old clubs affiliation and constitution. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the GUI/ILGU will do that. The only way the old clubs affiliation could be 'reused' is if a new committee of that club took over, agreed the landlords terms through a proper process and informed the GUI of the outcome. But I don't think that is going to happen. I look forward to the meeting on Monday but on the affiliation issue I believe it will be a new application from a new club and will take months not weeks to work through.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ding Ding

Had a practice round this morning for the competitions next weekend. Greens great, fairways great, light rough great, heavy rough is now heavy, bunkers ok, edges of bunkers not okay. Overall amazing what has been achieved. The edges of bunkers will be sorted this week.

There was a small bit of leakage in the sky overhead and the wind machine was on medium. The Kavanaghs have promised to sort these!

I got the same abuse as poor Gambino for sticking with the facts. For whoever is accusing me of lying, well I played close to 100 rounds last year, one on temporary greens and I had no plans to play on the handful of days when SC was closed due to flooding. So this is not lying or misleading.

I've only spent time on this forum to give info to people that board / committee were not giving them, but seems I'm getting the same treatment as Gambino for sticking with facts, it's a shame when facts ruin an agenda.

Some more Facts:

The old committee are dead as regards SC golf course.

New affiliation is no bother and almost there.

Comps next weekend.

Course great as above, just around bunkers needs sorting.

150 for rest of year for those who paid in full, 420 for those on DD. 1,080 for 2013 payable 90 a month.

Owner managed course so much greater focus on cost management and making it work.

New committee will be formed, their only role is comps and handicaps.

The GUI couldn't care less about the old Board or the Property or Ltd company. They are only interested in the Mens Club, it's constitution and the officers of that club. Same for the ILGU and the ladies. They are also interested in their affiliation fees. My understanding was they were giving the 'old' club the breathing space to get back on the current course and be in a position to continue as a club. This would have been the easiest and simplest approach as the club was already affiliated and had known officers and an agreed constitution that was accepted by the GUI/ILGU. The fact that the landlord has now said they are going to set up their own club is a game changer. I believe the new club will require a new application for affiliation. Unfortunately, these things are black and white and you can't have your cake and eat it. You can't claim on the one hand that the 'old' club is now dead in the water, ceases to exist, is no more (sounds like the parrot sketch) and then try and somehow fast track a new committee and new club in under the old clubs affiliation and constitution. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the GUI/ILGU will do that. The only way the old clubs affiliation could be 'reused' is if a new committee of that club took over, agreed the landlords terms through a proper process and informed the GUI of the outcome. But I don't think that is going to happen. I look forward to the meeting on Monday but on the affiliation issue I believe it will be a new application from a new club and will take months not weeks to work through.
    I don't know how the GUI will view it but I can only repeat that there was never any way it could have been done under the aegis of the "old" club and the GUI must have known that when they said whatever they did to the old committee.
    Lets hope it is all a bit clearer after Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

Ding..Will the "competition" next week be a qualifying event

Had a practice round this morning for the competitions next weekend. Greens great, fairways great, light rough great, heavy rough is now heavy, bunkers ok, edges of bunkers not okay. Overall amazing what has been achieved. The edges of bunkers will be sorted this week.

There was a small bit of leakage in the sky overhead and the wind machine was on medium. The Kavanaghs have promised to sort these!

I got the same abuse as poor Gambino for sticking with the facts. For whoever is accusing me of lying, well I played close to 100 rounds last year, one on temporary greens and I had no plans to play on the handful of days when SC was closed due to flooding. So this is not lying or misleading.

I've only spent time on this forum to give info to people that board / committee were not giving them, but seems I'm getting the same treatment as Gambino for sticking with facts, it's a shame when facts ruin an agenda.

Some more Facts:

Comps next weekend.

150 for rest of year for those who paid in full, 420 for those on DD. 1,080 for 2013 payable 90 a month.

Owner managed course so much greater focus on cost management and making it work.

Ding Ding, is the comp next weekend a qualifying GUI event for handicap or just an internal comp? If it's the former then the affiliation process must have kicked off a while back with the new club and so rejoining may not be a bad idea? However, I would have to see it to believe it? You sound like you have some inside knowledge, can you share on when the affiliation is likely to come through and how it was done? Also, is there a ladies comp next weekend?

Some more Facts:

Comps next weekend.

Less of the poor Gambino ding. I've enjoyed setting a few things straight and I treat the hostility that generates as confirmation I'm hitting my nails on the head.
    I just wish I was as accurate with my irons.

• Advertisement

Another naysayer gone, what will we do now. The new club will be one of the most positive in the country. People will have to find something else to throw they're stones at now.

I understand that the course is a bit tough for some and as a result they are inclined to call easier course 'better' ones.

Never missed a days golf in last year there and only 1 day on temp greens. Now in newlands, hermitage, etc how are those stats!
    Ha I'm happy to see you are glad ex members are walking. Lets know how that attitude should work in the 'new club'. Had this all of been handled better I'd be still there and a very happy quiet member going about my business as I always was there.

In terms of difficulty you are delusional if you think it's a particularly difficult course. Be as wild as you like off the tee and you still have a chance of par 90% of the time. Other courses near by will punish you. The only thing that makes the place hard is that bloody wind!! Nice calm dry day there isn't a course out there better for your confidence.

As regards golf last year. The only month were there was little or no golf anywhere was Novermber. I never said the course was unplayable by the way. But you know yourself if the weather is any way poor down below the course it's 10 times worse up there. No protection with trees and you get blown off the tee box while your face is being battered with hail stones and rain. And I am far from a fair weather golfer.

Not at all happy to see members gone, I'm providing info here in the absence of any from the committee so people can make informed decisions. My point was that some people are getting a kick out of throwing stones at a club in bother, some of whom were members, if they are gone then that is surely not a loss.

However to the vast majority who just liked the course, members, staff etc I hope they join the new club and get back to having fun.

To those that love politics, try a political party but leave us to hit a ball around a field in the least number of shots, that's all golf is after all.

Some more Facts:

Comps next weekend.

Less of the poor Gambino ding. I've enjoyed setting a few things straight and I treat the hostility that generates as confirmation I'm hitting my nails on the head.
    I just wish I was as accurate with my irons.

Fair enough Gambino, maybe that's a good policy that I'll adopt so, we'll all have to improve the irons now that the heavy rough is heavy!

Some more Facts:

Comps next weekend.

Ding Ding, is the comp next weekend a qualifying GUI event for handicap or just an internal comp? If it's the former then the affiliation process must have kicked off a while back with the new club and so rejoining may not be a bad idea? However, I would have to see it to believe it? You sound like you have some inside knowledge, can you share on when the affiliation is likely to come through and how it was done? Also, is there a ladies comp next weekend?

Not 100% on this but suspect an 'internal' comp but affiliation is well underway but might be too tight to have a qualifier by next weekend. Yes, ladies comp too.

The owners are arranging affiliation and a new committee.

The old committee seem to have wasted the last month on trying to control affairs that had nothing to do with them.

Thankfully the owners sent out a good clear communication yesterday and are firing ahead.

I would suggest that people sign up as we've lost 6 weeks golf already and nothing to lose as its on DD, if you are not happy, then cancel DD.

Some more Facts:

Comps next weekend.

Not 100% on this but suspect an 'internal' comp but affiliation is well underway but might be too tight to have a qualifier by next weekend. Yes, ladies comp too.

The old committee seem to have wasted the last month on trying to control affairs that had nothing to do with them.

Thankfully the owners sent out a good clear communication yesterday and are firing ahead.

I would suggest that people sign up as we've lost 6 weeks golf already and nothing to lose as its on DD, if you are not happy, then cancel DD.
    I think I'll wait to see how affiliation process goes. I don't trust anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

"internal" comp....no such thing. Just a friendly knockabout.
    I'm already in two Golf societies. I wont be signing up to any unaffiliated course. I suspect most golfers feel the same.

frost53 wrote: »

"internal" comp....no such thing. Just a friendly knockabout.
    I'm already in two Golf societies. I wont be signing up to any unaffiliated course. I suspect most golfers feel the same.

Don't understand the big deal about needing affiliation instantly. We don't all play in a big GUI event every weekend with big money prizes competing with golfers all over the coubtry, there might be 50-100 in a comp for a pair of shoes!

The owners tried dealing with the committee, they've now realised this was a waste of time so they're getting their own affiliation.

So this takes a few days or even weeks, shock horror. What's the effect, we can't play opens for a little while? Why not get back playing golf instantly instead of wanting affiliation instantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tiger14ki

Ding Ding heaven forbid people would want to have an affiliated golf club to play competitive golf.Myself and most people I play with are trying to better their handicap. Spinning your wheels on internal comps or social golf lost its appeal weeks ago

tiger14ki wrote: »
    Ding Ding heaven forbid people would want to have an affiliated golf club to play competitive golf.Myself and most people I play with are trying to better their handicap. Spinning your wheels on internal comps or social golf lost its appeal weeks ago
    You can play as much competitive golf as you want. If they are internal" competitions at SC for a few weeks - what harm; you will be playing against the same people as before, just not getting an official .1 back or .2 off. Your GUI card is still valid and can be used for opens, after which it will be officially adjusted in the GUI system. The GUI (as part of its helpful attitude) seems to be saying that SC handicaps will remain valid for a generous period, even while the club is not 100% sorted.

If you want to be a member of a club, how about thinking in terms of helping it survive and grow and not just what it can do for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

You can play as much competitive golf as you want. If they are internal" competitions at SC for a few weeks - what harm; you will be playing against the same people as before, just not getting an official .1 back or .2 off. Your GUI card is still valid and can be used for opens, after which it will be officially adjusted in the GUI system. The GUI (as part of its helpful attitude) seems to be saying that SC handicaps will remain valid for a generous period, even while the club is not 100% sorted.

If you want to be a member of a club, how about thinking in terms of helping it survive and grow and not just what it can do for you?
    Ummmn, no its not , that's the whole point , u can't play int opens , or the club can't host them , without a proper GUI affiliation , it will just be.like a society up there !

• Advertisement

I hear you, I've made the best of being a golf refugee recently and enjoyed the generosity of other courses.

The new club is the next step in getting back playing competitive golf in South County. It would be great to do it all overnight.

The first priority was getting course maintained and this has been largely done. If everyone waits for everything to be perfect, then it's standstill.

The board and committee have both failed. The owners are now offering a new low cost, zero risk alternative so how about we all support them.

I too want to better my handicap but that's a medium to long term goal and a few weeks waiting on affiliation papers will make no difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement