Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

carman2011 wrote: »
    Ummmn, no its not , that's the whole point , u can't play int opens , or the club can't host them , without a proper GUI affiliation , it will just be.like a society up there !
    You can play in opens anywhere you want. I've played in several in the last month and plan to play several more.. There is no problem with your SC GUI card and (we are told anyway) that this will be the case for the foreseeable future.

True the club can't host them until the affiliation thing is sorted but as regards the individual - no problem; have GUI card, will travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tiger14ki

Gambino wrote: »
    You can play as much competitive golf as you want. If they are internal" competitions at SC for a few weeks - what harm; you will be playing against the same people as before, just not getting an official .1 back or .2 off. Your GUI card is still valid and can be used for opens, after which it will be officially adjusted in the GUI system. The GUI (as part of its helpful attitude) seems to be saying that SC handicaps will remain valid for a generous period, even while the club is not 100% sorted.

If you want to be a member of a club, how about thinking in terms of helping it survive and grow and not just what it can do for you?

Well how supportive was the club to me when a relative of mine(shareholder) introduced me to the club and we worked through paying €7k for me to become a 7 day member.knowing full well we had been enquiring about this for a few weeks the very following week after I signed and paid the club announced a shareholder could forfeit their loan in place of a 7 day membership for someone they introduce.when we enquired as to could we be reasonable and make a fairer deal the approach was to give us both the finger essentially and say tough ****e.

And you think those same idiots who made the above decision are not going to be involved going forward?i cannot support that.killeen castle is my new home and a seriously top notch course.maybe one day back at SC but need a breather from the nonsense up there

tiger14ki wrote: »
    Well how supportive was the club to me when a relative of mine(shareholder) introduced me to the club and we worked through paying €7k for me to become a 7 day member.knowing full well we had been enquiring about this for a few weeks the very following week after I signed and paid the club announced a shareholder could forfeit their loan in place of a 7 day membership for someone they introduce.when we enquired as to could we be reasonable and make a fairer deal the approach was to give us both the finger essentially and say tough ****e.

And you think those same idiots who made the above decision are not going to be involved going forward?i cannot support that.killeen castle is my new home and a seriously top notch course.maybe one day back at SC but need a breather from the nonsense up there

Unless you were negotiating with the Kavanaghs, then no, they are not going to be involved. The loan waiver applied when the entry fee was €3,200 and that was several years ago. And we all have our hard luck stories.
    Enjoy Killeen Castle. Nice track - hope it survives.

Unless you were negotiating with the Kavanaghs, then no, they are not going to be involved. The loan waiver applied when the entry fee was €3,200 and that was several years ago. And we all have our hard luck stories.

Sure I could give a damn about the money. Has come and gone but any semblance of the idea of a "club" went out the window with that. I hope SC does get up and running soon but if I go back I would love to see if the kavanaghs have managed to get the bunkering up to scratch. Also what has been highlighted by the last 6 weeks or do is that the greens in SC were better in my head than reality. Craddockstown, tulfarris, carton and Killeen were all far better in the greens.loved sc in its pomp but she needs a lot of work n wish it the best

Always good to play a number of courses. Puts everything into perspective.
    I find the quality of the greens depends on how well I'm putting - not the other way round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ding Ding

You can play as much competitive golf as you want. If they are internal" competitions at SC for a few weeks - what harm; you will be playing against the same people as before, just not getting an official .1 back or .2 off. Your GUI card is still valid and can be used for opens, after which it will be officially adjusted in the GUI system. The GUI (as part of its helpful attitude) seems to be saying that SC handicaps will remain valid for a generous period, even while the club is not 100% sorted.

If you want to be a member of a club, how about thinking in terms of helping it survive and grow and not just what it can do for you?

Fully understand your sentiments. You certainly have joined an excellent course and it would be top of my list if the new SC was simply a reworking of the old SC.

The same idiots you refer to will NOT be involved going forward, neither the board, the committee, the grumblers.

I've been trying to share facts to avoid people leaving such as yourself. Enjoy Killeen castle and the break from the nonsense which I am enthusiastic has now come to an end with the board, committee and grumblers gone. The shame for me is that people like you are departing while the committee gave us the mushroom treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I love the way a few on here have rounded on the committee now and the board that was defended by them have been forgotten about!!!!

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I love the way a few on here have rounded on the committee now and the board that was defended by them have been forgotten about!!!!

Nothing against the committee here.still not a fan of 3 individuals on the old board and while I hope it's true for the future of SC, I just don't see them not playing golf up there. Wouldn't feel comfortable thinking should I shout fore or not if I hit one in their direction

Ok Ariel, I presume that's aimed at me, so the board messed up, the committee messed up, the non renewers messed up.

There's good reason to be unhappy with the committee, this will become as clear as daylight.

Now let's go forward rather than rehash the old arguments.

It would be great if people would just sign up to the new setup via a low risk DD option, play in the comps, test it out and see what you think. Then renew for 2013 or take any of the massive range of alternatives.

The new committee will be checking cards and managing handicaps, running inter club, that's their only job, not dictating to the owners of the course on what they can do, who is to be allowed join, engaging in power plays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Ummmn, no its not , that's the whole point , u can't play int opens , or the club can't host them , without a proper GUI affiliation , it will just be.like a society up there !
    You can play in opens anywhere you want. I've played in several in the last month and plan to play several more.. There is no problem with your SC GUI card and (we are told anyway) that this will be the case for the foreseeable future.

True the club can't host them until the affiliation thing is sorted but as regards the individual - no problem; have GUI card, will travel.

Have Gui card will travel............like a homeless golfer.what happened to your commitment to support your new club?......i think the landowners have missed the proverbial boat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Stoorie

Let's just be clear - entrance fee was €7,000 and less than a week later the "write off your loan, bring someone in for free" came in. It was NOT €3,200. You're the one who wants to deal in facts - that is a fact. How do I know? Because I wrote the cheque.

And we were told that it was no different from buying a shirt in Marks and Spencer and seeing it in the sale a week later. Never bought a €7,000 shirt myself.

So like Tiger14KI I'm off to Killeen Castle. Maybe not for good and if SCGC in its new guise is ridded of the politics and nonsense then I also may be back. And meantime I sincerely hope it succeeds as it has many great memories for me and I hope to have more.

Ding Ding wrote: »
    Ok Ariel, I presume that's aimed at me, so the board messed up, the committee messed up, the non renewers messed up.

There's good reason to be unhappy with the committee, this will become as clear as daylight.

It would be great if people would just sign up to the new setup via a low risk DD option, play in the comps, test it out and see what you think. Then renew for 2013 or take any of the massive range of alternatives.

The new committee will be checking cards and managing handicaps, running inter club, that's their only job, not dictating to the owners of the course on what they can do, who is to be allowed join, engaging in power plays etc
    Ding, you obviously have an in somewhere if you are saying it will become apparent!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cherryman

Ding, You are clearly closely associated with the landlords because of your inside knowledge on affiliating the new club and it is also clear that you will be running the new committee. With someone so knowlegible on GUI and ILGU processes you should be up and running by the end of June.Good luck! I think I will continue as a refugee until the GUI confirm to me that the golf course previously known as "South County" is affiliated.

Ding, you obviously have an in somewhere if you are saying it will become apparent!!!!

No 'in', the committee were mandated 5 weeks ago to get things setup for members, this hasn't happened, this is what will become clearer on Monday at meeting.

cherryman wrote: »
    Ding, You are clearly closely associated with the landlords because of your inside knowledge on affiliating the new club and it is also clear that you will be running the new committee. With someone so knowlegible on GUI and ILGU processes you should be up and running by the end of June.Good luck! I think I will continue as a refugee until the GUI confirm to me that the golf course previously known as "South County" is affiliated.

I'm not actually associated with the landlords.I just want to get back playing again ASAP, not running committees. I'm not as worried as some about affiliation and don't know the processes, but hear its not the big deal others make out. If we don't get our .1s for a while what about it.

My only hope is that people join up and support the new club so we can put this episode behind us.

Stoorie wrote: »
    Let's just be clear - entrance fee was €7,000 and less than a week later the "write off your loan, bring someone in for free" came in. It was NOT €3,200. You're the one who wants to deal in facts - that is a fact. How do I know? Because I wrote the cheque.

And we were told that it was no different from buying a shirt in Marks and Spencer and seeing it in the sale a week later. Never bought a €7,000 shirt myself.

So like Tiger14KI I'm off to Killeen Castle. Maybe not for good and if SCGC in its new guise is ridded of the politics and nonsense then I also may be back. And meantime I sincerely hope it succeeds as it has many great memories for me and I hope to have more.
    I have documents on file relating to €3,200 but if you say so.... I'm not that interested to be frank
    So off you go while others (who lost as much and more than you) put in the effort to revive SC. You come back when it's all done -we'll be so grateful.

I have documents on file relating to €3,200 but if you say so.... I'm not that interested to be frank
    So off you go while others (who lost as much and more than you) put in the effort to revive SC. You come back when it's all done -we'll be so grateful.

What a post. Read Stooie post correctly. He paid for a membership @ €7,000 then a week later the club introduced the get rid of your loan initiative. I'd be pissed if that happened to me. It was obviously all but agreed by the board but they went ahead and raped him for 7k. Classy guys!!!

None of that " if you say so" crap please gambino as that insinuates it is open for interpretation. It happened at those amounts period. And excuse me but Stoorie was a member from day 1,full shareholder, introduced 2 other full shareholders and all 3 of them contributed the 3k loan when asked, brought myself in at 7k, full subs every year, no discounts,lunch in bar every week etc etc etc.Your talking >150k that Stoorie has helped bring to that club so don't dare question loyalty to SC. It's folk like yourself that make us think what the point is in going back there

None of that " if you say so" crap please gambino as that insinuates it is open for interpretation. It happened at those amounts period. And excuse me but Stoorie was a member from day 1,full shareholder, introduced 2 other full shareholders and all 3 of them contributed the 3k loan when asked, brought myself in at 7k, full subs every year, no discounts,lunch in bar every week etc etc etc.Your talking >150k that Stoorie has helped being to that club so don't dare question loyalty to SC. It's folk like yourself that make us think what the point is in going back there
    I introduced a few members as well - and paid my share and loan and sub from Day One but but I'm not making a song and dance about it.
    Your loyalty is noted - now **** off to Kileen Castle.

I introduced a few members as well - and paid my share and loan and sub from Day One but but I'm not making a song and dance about it.

You are missing the point he is making. He was allowed to fork out 7k a week before the loan waiver for introducing a friend came in. I agree with him the board acted morally wrong in accepting the fee knowing full well that the waiver was coming in. Stay classy Gambino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Man your posts have become laughable and flat out ignorant!, I would suggest you are doing more harm than good to your beloved South County.

I'm sure there are others who lost as much as me - €30k plus for the record - but like you, "I'm not that interested to be frank". I've made my choice and I'm happy with it. And the last thing I need or want is gratitude from you.

But your attitude throughtout too many of your posts is one which actually encourages good members, who supported the club at every step, who didn't seek deals and who paid up every time they were asked to wonder if anything will change.

Now you're really showing your class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

[/QUOTE]
    Your loyalty is noted - now **** off to Kileen Castle.[/Quote]

Gambino, seriously, what is your problem ? You want everyone to take your posts as "facts", yet when anyone posts something contradicting you you're just dismissive and rude ?? The majority of posters here are asking genuine questions or making legitimate points. You come across as having a serious chip on your shoulder about something, who knows what. Maybe the shareholders who should have kept you in a golf course ? I dunno.

A post like above will do nothing to either attract or keep members in whatever new venture (if any) ends up on that land. Your posts are certainly not helping any PR effort the new club will need to survive. Word of mouth is, rightly or wrongly, hugely powerful, and I don't imagine anyone familiar with this thread would be considering joining or encouraging anyone they know to join.

Obviously I don't know who you are, but you alone are NOT South County golf club. If the attitude conveyed in your posts is indicitive of the majority up there then perhaps it's best it's doomed to fail - which it will, the numbers simply don't stack up to keep it going. Harsh and unfortunate, but true IMO.

How would you ever foster club spirit with a post like above ??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

Corner boy talk

Hello everybody, think we need more light than heat here.

The new club is a 'New Club', none of the old ghosts will be hanging around, they've already been exorcised! For clarity, none of the old board will be involved in any way, that includes teeing off.

Please give it a chance and join up or if you've already moved, then maybe best to stop throwing stones at it and best of luck, maybe we'll see you back.

It's a brand new club, none of the old debts, responsibilities, management team.

So please give it a go and let's get back to having a bit if crack again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oscar555

Stoorie wrote: »
    I'm sure there are others who lost as much as me - €30k plus for the record - but like you, "I'm not that interested to be frank". I've made my choice and I'm happy with it. And the last thing I need or want is gratitude from you.

But your attitude throughtout too many of your posts is one which actually encourages good members, who supported the club at every step, who didn't seek deals and who paid up every time they were asked to wonder if anything will change.

Stoorie makes a great point here, and touches on something I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm not a member but I too have been surprised by the tone and content of some of Gambino's posts.

A club by definition is 'a group of like minded individuals' which it would seem South County probably was not. It also sounds as if the actions and strategies of your Board regarding some of it's membership recruitment plans were ill conceived at best and woefully inept at worst, and yet in Gambino's posts they are constantly protected by the assertion that, ' they were volunteering their time on an unpaid basis', as if this relieves them of their accountability.

The club collapsed under their stewardship yet they seem to have avoided much of the blame, that seems strange to me. Time to move on to the new club in Lisheen I think.

Hello everybody, think we need more light than heat here.

The new club is a 'New Club', none of the old ghosts will be hanging around, they've already been exorcised! For clarity, none of the old board will be involved in any way, that includes teeing off.

Please give it a chance and join up or if you've already moved, then maybe best to stop throwing stones at it and best of luck, maybe we'll see you back.

It's a brand new club, none of the old debts, responsibilities, management team.

So please give it a go and let's get back to having a bit if crack again.

Ding, how can you be sure that no firmer board members will not be teeing it up. Either you are related to the landlord or a committee member, because that has not been mentioned to me by any other members. Please share with us your obvious fountain of knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

Ding , said in reply to my previous post that we can play opens now, obv I know this and have been doing so , but what u seem to be overlooking it that the reason we still have handicaps now is because the committee (that u say have failed) have been manually maintaining them on club 2000. It is the men's club and this committee that the GUI recognise, not the old liquidated company, not the new identity.
    If as u suggest, we move away from this committee/men's club etc, then the handicaps lapse, and we all have no handicaps, can't play opens etc until the new registration is in place.
    I commend all your positivity and I too want to get back playing golf at south county, but for someone like me who plays a lot of opens and scratch cups ,losing my handicap for an interim period of time that could be up to a few months is a serious consideration .

• Advertisement

Ding , said in reply to my previous post that we can play opens now, obv I know this and have been doing so , but what u seem to be overlooking it that the reason we still have handicaps now is because the committee (that u say have failed) have been manually maintaining them on club 2000. It is the men's club and this committee that the GUI recognise, not the old liquidated company, not the new identity.
    If as u suggest, we move away from this committee/men's club etc, then the handicaps lapse, and we all have no handicaps, can't play opens etc until the new registration is in place.
    I commend all your positivity and I too want to get back playing golf at south county, but for someone like me who plays a lot of opens and scratch cups ,losing my handicap for an interim period of time that could be up to a few months is a serious consideration .

I think you'll agree I've only put facts into the system and have been called a liar, questioned on being related to landlord and various other stuff. Part of me is inclined just to stop and just let people figure things out themselves, my only hope was that some real info might convince genuine people to stick with it and avoid joining other clubs for the wrong reasons.

I dont like the board bashing that went on, yes they got stuff wrong but they were volunteers which I know does not excuse failure to communicate. Likewise the committee are volunteers, but they got a clear simple mandate and have sent us about 4 useless emails asking us to 'be patient, bear with us etc'. Then they sent some sort of rant last week which simply put their credibility in the same dustbin as the boards. Despite this I think it's tough on directors to be excluded but obviously understand why, it's a sad fact but trust had been badly damaged.

On you handicap point, my understanding is that the GUI have been flexible here so don't think handicaps are at risk for opens. Obviously affiliation yesterday would be perfect, but it's not that far away.

I thought the note from owners was the clearest communication we've got from anybody since becoming members. Agree a specific date or ideally confirmation of affiliation would be best, but there's a lot of boxes ticked, bunkers to be sorted this week for example.

Anyway I'm confident to go with new setup and it was great to see a lot of familiar faces around yesterday.

Everybody is obviously free to participate in this forum but people throwing stones and 'kicking a dog when he's down' is not constructive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement