Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Dont know how he is going to run a course without machinery, maybe it will mysteriously reappear!!!!!!

This stinks to high heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Yep pay and play for members. Fact is we are no longer members. The Kavanaghs say they cannot afford to support the course without money.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Yep pay and play for members. Fact is we are no longer members. The Kavanaghs say they cannot afford to support the course without money.

I have paid my fees already I'm [EMAIL="f@~ked"]f@~ked[/EMAIL] if I'm going to give Kavanagh another cent.

shamco wrote: »
    I have paid my fees already I'm [EMAIL="f@~ked"]f@~ked[/EMAIL] if I'm going to give Kavanagh another cent.

He can be fooked if he will get the use of the machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

thegen wrote: »
    This stinks to high heaven.

+1
    Must be more to this than is in the public domain.
    I mean, its only early May, where are the subscription moneys sitting at the moment ? Surely they can't have been fully spent already...
    Who has access to whatever bank account is used ?
    Who owns the machinery and had they the right to remove it ?

Can open, worms everywhere methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I know yesterday we had a couple of committee members posting in here. Did any of you know about this group of members who were preparing to approach the board?

This just gets stranger and stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I went up this morning to see what's going on. Pat and Jim Kavanagh were there (landlords), the staff from the pro shop and a few members. There is no real new news from what's been said already but what I can confirm is:

Membership records are wiped and gone with the board.

The Kavanghs have repossessed the land and are operating it on a pay as you play basis for the foreseeable. 10euro.

The machinery has all been removed overnight by SCGC. Very underhanded and sly move.

About 40 members met on Tuesday night to discuss tackling the board over the clubs running. A matter of hours later the board pulled the plug and abandoned the land.

Locksmiths came in Tuesday evening and were changing the locks. Staff asked management what was going on and were told dont worry new keys will be issued in the morning. Text sent at 6.20 am to say club gone.

So far no communication between landlords and board. President Tom Fahey declining to comment.

I really hope they resolve all this & the members get some hold of their course back. A good clubhouse, great pro, a decent course and good & passionate members. The kind of place that Irish golf needs to survive. Best of luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

I went up this morning to see what's going on. Pat and Jim Kavanagh were there (landlords), the staff from the pro shop and a few members. There is no real new news from what's been said already but what I can confirm is:

Membership records are wiped and gone with the board.

The Kavanghs have repossessed the land and are operating it on a pay as you play basis for the foreseeable. 10euro.

The machinery has all been removed overnight by SCGC. Very underhanded and sly move.

About 40 members met on Tuesday night to discuss tackling the board over the clubs running. A matter of hours later the board pulled the plug and abandoned the land.

Locksmiths came in Tuesday evening and were changing the locks. Staff asked management what was going on and were told dont worry new keys will be issued in the morning. Text sent at 6.20 am to say club gone.

So far no communication between landlords and board. President Tom Fahey declining to comment.

This is so disappointing. Realistically landlords were never going to let us out for free when I think of it, but I was holding out some hope. Why was the meeting on Tuesday night not more widely communicated among the member base? I feel so out of the loop as a newbie member :(

The article in the independent made it seem like the debt was not that large; what was it, €65000 debt last year? Say if it had gone up to even €200000 this year, that doesn't seem an insurrmountable sum to me (spot the no business-brain person!). Appears like they just abandoned ship....
    why-i-oughta-thumb.jpg

What happens our credit in the Pro-shop?. Is Raymie still trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 morganfletcher

This message was sent from Michael at southcounty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 emac123

What message???

The same Morgan Fletcher who sends abusive emails to members

• Registered Users Posts: 2 morganfletcher

The email you got this morning from the Landlords came from michael at south county
    How did the landlords get around data protection to write to each of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

chuckieamc wrote: »

This is so disappointing. Realistically landlords were never going to let us out for free when I think of it, but I was holding out some hope. Why was the meeting on Tuesday night not more widely communicated among the member base? I feel so out of the loop as a newbie member :(

The article in the independent made it seem like the debt was not that large; what was it, €65000 debt last year? Say if it had gone up to even €200000 this year, that doesn't seem an insurrmountable sum to me (spot the no business-brain person!). Appears like they just abandoned ship....
    why-i-oughta-thumb.jpg

That meeting the other night was amongst shareholders as they are the ones who elect the board & ultimately have a say in the running of the club. The shareholder AGM was due soon. I believe that's why there was a meeting called amongst them for discussion before the AGM itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

That meeting the other night was amongst shareholders as they are the ones who elect the board & ultimately have a say in the running of the club. The shareholder AGM was due soon. I believe that's why there was a meeting called amongst them for discussion before the AGM itself.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frost53

Was a member of a privately owned course years ago. The owner, a farmer, was constantly reminding us that this was his field. He famously said at a meeting that he'd plough it back into arable land, rather that let the members have any say in the running of the place or the course set-up.
    I'm not disputing the Kavanaghs claim to the land if the lease defaults but this quick hungry land grab by them might show their mindset. Whatever about the Machinery, you can't put the course on a low loader and drive away.
    They could have given a period of grace,allow the committee to carry on organising competitions until a new arrangement is made between owners and members.
    I think the GUI would be more than willing to accommodate the club until such time.
    Joined SC ten years ago.. "Pay and Play" ?... me no thinkee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Someone from the members need to show leadership. It is imperative if South County is to survive in any shape or form that an EGM is called immediately. At the moment members seem to be dealing with rumour and second hand information. It is only with a meeting of the members that decisions can be made. I'm sure the members are still shocked and gutted but they need to take whatever initiative they can before their future is decided for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Yeah absolutely no way I'll be paying to play. Spoke to a few members too and they are the same. I'd give it 3 months and you'll see a load of sheep grazing on the course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

The same Morgan Fletcher who claims to have been a member for the last 10 years yet nobody has ever heard of or seen. Do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

frost53 wrote: »
    Was a member of a privately owned course years ago. The owner, a farmer, was constantly reminding us that this was his field. He famously said at a meeting that he'd plough it back into arable land, rather that let the members have any say in the running of the place or the course set-up.
    I'm not disputing the Kavanaghs claim to the land if the lease defaults but this quick hungry land grab by them might show their mindset. Whatever about the Machinery, you can't put the course on a low loader and drive away.
    They could have given a period of grace,allow the committee to carry on organising competitions until a new arrangement is made between owners and members.
    I think the GUI would be more than willing to accommodate the club until such time.
    Joined SC ten years ago.. "Pay and Play" ?... me no thinkee

"The Kavanaghs" could be on the breadline themselves with the bank manager at the door. Maybe they have already given SCGC LTD a grace period and it was abused?

Speculations isnt going to make anyone any happier so facts only please.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    "The Kavanaghs" could be on the breadline themselves with the bank manager at the door. Maybe they have already given SCGC LTD a grace period and it was abused?

Speculations isnt going to make anyone any happier so facts only please.

On the bread line?. I dont think so they were paid 1million upfront and 150k per year for the last ten years allegedly and now they get the land back for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

On the bread line?. I dont think so they were paid 1million upfront and 150k per year for the last ten years allegedly and now they get the land back for nothing

They were paid 150k a year cause the club/company leased the land from them (aka the owners). If I own a house and rent it out to you for €10,000 a year and after ten years you leave, then I own the house. What the planet are you living on???? Regardless of what's on the land right now, the Kavanaghs are the owners of the land.

Would you prefer they closed the course and told all the members to go elsewhere??? Why is the anger and suspicion being directed at them when they had no hand in creating this mess????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

now they get the land back for nothing

Brilliant outta you shamco!!!! Imagine the injustice of the owners of the land getting their land back for nothing. They should really be made to buy it back again shouldn't they?!!!! No wonder the country is goosed when something remains the property of the owner! Madness I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Can we please remain amicable/friendly. This thread has been useful to a number of people, particularly the members who didnt't get the original text message so it would be a shame if it got deleted.

bailey99 wrote: »
    They were paid 150k a year cause the club/company leased the land from them (aka the owners). If I own a house and rent it out to you for €10,000 a year and after ten years you leave, then I own the house. What the planet are you living on???? Regardless of what's on the land right now, the Kavanaghs are the owners of the land.

Would you prefer they closed the course and told all the members to go elsewhere??? Why is the anger and suspicion being directed at them when they had no hand in creating this mess????

Now that I'm back on earth!!. You seem to missing the point entirely that the Kavanaghs are not on the breadline. They are getting their land back with multimillion euro golf course on it. The country been in state it is in is not due to tenants by the way. Quite the opposite in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Now that I'm back on earth!!. You seem to missing the point entirely that the Kavanaghs are not on the breadline. They are getting their land back with multimillion euro golf course on it. The country been in state it is in is not due to tenants by the way. Quite the opposite in fact

Actually the point is that unless you have seen their bank accounts you have no idea what their financial position is.

A golf course is only a multi-million euro golf course if someone is willing to pay you multiple million euros for it. Since 1 company has already failed to keep it afloat I would suggest that its not worth multiple-millions.

Tenants that dont pay their rent are not much use to anyone tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

I really hope things will get sorted there its a fine golf course Best of luck to all concerned.
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Has any one else been up there today? I'm gonna head up there after work, had planned on having a round last nite when that email came in obviously there was no mention of pay and play. Not one to jump the gun, but I think it maybe a good time to look for another club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

scubapro wrote: »
    Has any one else been up there today? I'm gonna head up there after work, had planned on having a round last nite when that email came in obviously there was no mention of pay and play. Not one to jump the gun, but I think it maybe a good time to look for another club.

Go for it, grab what you can.

Reminder to cancel your direct debit for the monthly draw if you had it - so much for winning a years free subscription

We should have known something was up when they were selling off the hollow cores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Would it be conceivable that the company which closed yesterday (SCGC), are going to walk away from whatever debts they have, and the same or similar people involved will set up a new company, rearrange a new lease with the landowners, buy machinery etc from the old company and offer a reduced membership fee to previous members, and start afresh next month?

Its not the first or last time i'd have seen this sort of practise in this country.

i have no basis for the above and its only a thought i had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement