Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best headphones?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

I want to get a new pair of overhead headphones and was wondering what people could recommend? A lot of people are going around with the Dr Dre "Beats" ones but I've heard bad things about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I want to get a new pair of overhead headphones and was wondering what people could recommend? A lot of people are going around with the Dr Dre "Beats" ones but I've heard bad things about them.

They're actually meant to be pretty good, but not €300 worth of pretty good. They're horrifically overpriced and overmarketed, but they're not 'bad' headphones.

What will you be listening to with them? I only use headphones for listening to albums off my phone on the train, and I don't see the point in getting 'good' headphones when you're listening to low-bitrate mp3s over engine noises and loads of other people around you making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I have a pair of "Beats by Dr Dre studio" headphones.

They sound great and block out a lot of surrounding noise.

However, they tend to bleed a lot of sound.
    Not ideal for travelling on public transport as fellow commuters will hear what your listening too very clearly.

I tend to use them at home or long walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use a set of sonymdr50 cost 9 inhmv. Recc by stuff magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I bought a pair of House of Marley ones on a trip back from the US. Had some spare dollars I didn't want to bring home. Cost about €60. Decent sound from them,and comfortable fit, but I can't compare it to anything as it's the first time I've spent money on headphones. Made from recycled materials I believe. These are on ear headphones as opposed to over ear headphones.

http://www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk/

These are the ones I bought.

http://www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk/on-ear-headphones/positive-vibration-on-ear-headphones.html

I did see House of Marley headphones in Harvey Normans recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

http://eu.akg.com/akg-product-detail-eu/q-701.html or if you don't fancy spending that much get a pair of Sennheiser HD 25s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You can't go wrong with a decent pair of Sennheiser headphones. While they are not the best in terms of sound quality they are great value for money.

I've always seen Beats and Skullcandy headphones as nothing more than a fashion accessory.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd recommend Sennheiser too, big fan - and I'd say they are certainly one of the best headphone brands available.

Skullcandy are absolute muck in my experience... Beats I've never listened to but hear mixed reports, but for a product that has an artist endorsing it there must be buckets of cash going into the branding, marketing and artists pocket so the product has to be massively inflated in terms of price - I'd guess that the €300 Beats are equal to €200 Sennheiser if even. I don't think Beats would put out a bad product as such, but people should certainly factor the fact of cost to wear an artist endorsed 'brand'.

For quality brands you can't really go wrong with Sennheiser, AKG, Denon, Grado to name a few.

Oh and I've always heard good things about these, they are a great price and have sht load of good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-Pro-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336859774&sr=8-1

Advertisement