Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mcpa application rate

• 09-05-2012 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads have a 400L sprayer, how much mcpa would i want to add to spray rushes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Ill get roasted for saying this but I throw ten liters into it spraying heavy uncut rushes and I got results with it. Tried 5 with wetting agent and might as well have poured it down the sink. Did you get it off the man I told you about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Ill get roasted for saying this but I throw ten liters into it spraying heavy uncut rushes and I got results with it. Tried 5 with wetting agent and might as well have poured it down the sink. Did you get it off the man I told you about?

no i still have 1 container i have since last year to use up. i presume he is cash only is he?

no i still have 1 container i have since last year to use up. i presume he is cash only is he?

He is at that price, still cheaper than the co-op if you want a reciept though I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Here's something I noticed about spraying rushes.
    I cut two fields with fairly heavy covers of rushes in autum 2010 and left the stuff to rot into the ground.
    I sprayed the regrowth in late May 2011. Contractor job. Seemed to get a good kill, but they took a long time to really get brown and weak looking.
    I cut one of the fields in October last year, but just didnt get around to the other one at the time.
    Now I'm looking at the two fields. The one I cut last October, is showing signs of moderate regrowth:confused:
    The one I didnt get to cut, shows absolutely no sign of regrowth, and whats left of the old sprayed rushes is like burned paper. If you kick the clump of rushes, it just flies off like confetti. Grazing it at the minute, and too cut and fertilize in a few weeks. I'm delighted with this field to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Go with the application rate on the can. I mixed up my litres and pints last year and over dosed. it set the grass back alot. The tank I have is in Gallons... amercian gallons! but I should have known better..

Once the rushes are dead they are dead.. you can't kill them twice..normal application rate is fine.

The rushes that grow next year aren't the rushes you killed this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Apparently levels of MCPA in the Shannon are shooting up since the end of the "building boom" and the start of the "farming boom". So I have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

LostCovey wrote: »
    Apparently levels of MCPA in the Shannon are shooting up since the end of the "building boom" and the start of the "farming boom". So I have heard.

Does that mean we can just pump it up onto the fields and it'll kill the rushes.. big savings there, and there's me buying the stuff :rolleyes:

If tis ending up in the shannon I dont think you are spraying in the right weather!!

If tis ending up in the shannon I dont think you are spraying in the right weather!!

I don't think tis all mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

'Apparently' ---- have you a ref?

• Advertisement

'Apparently' ---- have you a ref?

Nope, informal information passed on informally from an informed source.

Not in the public domain I suspect, but not fantasy/fiction either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Nope, informal information passed on informally from an informed source.

Not in the public domain I suspect, but not fantasy/fiction either.

informed sources:rolleyes: thanks

I am hardly going to name them here bob, give me some credit.

OK I have had a look, and as I suspected, bugger all posted online.

Best I can do tonight Bob is what I have pasted below.

You will have to take my word that "particular herbicides" refers to MCPA and "surface waters" refers to the River Shannon where it passes through Leitrim & Longford.

Informed sources.

Honest.

LostCovey

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/coco_content.aspx?id=10004
    LONGFORD COUNTY COUNCIL ENVIRONMENT DEPARTMENT
    Water Pollution.
    Pollution Control involves the maintenance and improvement of water quality in the county's rivers and lakes. To this end, the Environment Section is involved in the River Shannon River Basin District project and the Erne River Basin District project.

In recent times Longford Co. Co. has noted higher levels of pesticides in particular herbicides being detected in surface waters. As herbicides are extensively used in Ireland we are asking all members of the public to familiarise themselves with the safe storage, handling, use and disposal of pesticides as outlined in the attached leaflets.

Pesticides Information Leaflet

Pesticides and Cross Compliance

This section also responds to pollution complaints from members of the public. If you are aware of pollution within the county, please notify the Environment Section Tel: 043 43356 Email: Pollution Control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

you need to check that the product you are using is registered for grassland. sfp inspections come down like a ton of bricks on chemical use and records. could lose 20% of sfp if caught using a product not registered for what you used it for. best place to check is pcs website. def no cmpp products registered for use on grass from this year on

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    you need to check that the product you are using is registered for grassland. sfp inspections come down like a ton of bricks on chemical use and records. could lose 20% of sfp if caught using a product not registered for what you used it for. best place to check is pcs website. def no cmpp products registered for use on grass from this year on

Is cmpp in the make up of mcpa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

NO cmpp is a different chemical but used to be used as a cheap spray or docks

Advertisement