Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

budget beauty

• 09-05-2012 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I thought we could do with a beauty budget tip thread :D, some where we can share our thrifty tips

Find out if there is any hair academy's in your local area, you can save a fortune on haircuts I paid €15 for one yesterday and it turned out lovely

rinse out old face wipes and leave to dry, they make great nail varnish removers, plus the don't fall apart like cotton wool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

lil'bug wrote: »
    I thought we could do with a beauty budget tip thread :D, some where we can share our thrifty tips

Find out if there is any hair academy's in your local area, you can save a fortune on haircuts I paid €15 for one yesterday and it turned out lovely

rinse out old face wipes and leave to dry, they make great nail varnish removers, plus the don't fall apart like cotton wool

Good tips! I'm just always afraid about hairdressers at the best of times but if you find a good one you're sorted!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Use damp face clothes instead of cotton wool (but not around the eyes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Essense nail plish and lip gloss i find good.

Tha aldi day cream my friend swears by..... my skin is way too sensitive for it and I broke out but if you have normal / combo skin it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

catrice nail varnish is great as well :)
    keep the tips coming ladies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Add moisturiser to foundation to create your own tinted moisturiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

The fake tan from penneys is meant to be really good. St Moritz I think.

A couple of drops of rosehip oil mixed with olive oil is a really great skin treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you have a student travel card, you get 10% off everything in Boots, including prescriptions. Use with advantage card points to make budget beauty even more budget! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Johnsons baby lotion is a very cheap and nice cleanser or make up remover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Aqueous Cream as a body moistusiser, huge tub great value at under €5. It's quite thick so you need to leave it soak in a little bit. Also, unscented, so doesn't clash with your perfume or scented moisturiser. I get dry skin on my legs and it works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

The Oil Cleansing Method with the right blend of olive oil and castor oil for your skintype is as good if not better than Dermalogica Pre Cleanse and a tenth of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

emulysifying base mixed with brown sugar is a super body scrub if you dry skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

You can make a facial scrub at home with coconut milk, salt and ground cinnamon whisk or mix all together and apply to face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

lubie76 wrote: »
    The Oil Cleansing Method with the right blend of olive oil and castor oil for your skintype is as good if not better than Dermalogica Pre Cleanse and a tenth of the price.

Yep, a dermatologist told me pretty much the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

One of the penneys makeup brands doesn't test on animals and is really good. I also just bought Tesco Apple and Aloe shampoo and conditioner and the smell is divine (I read about it on another thread and its meant to be amazing) Got one litre for 1.19! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Lollers wrote: »
    Yep, a dermatologist told me pretty much the same thing.

Thank you so much for this. I use Dermalogica products and I swear by them, but they are also breaking the bank but I can't go back to using cheap products. But i really like the sound of this and will try it. Thanks ladies.

An exfoliating treatment I've heard of is to grind up aspirin and mix with water and use as a mask on faces. I think it's good for acne-prone skin. I've never tried it and can imagine it's quite harsh. I think the aspirin should be well diluted. But please google it and make your own judgement - I haven't tried it, so can't comment on it.

I've heard of the brown sugar and shower gel for an exfoliating body scrub.
    Also heated oatmeal is a great moisturising mask.

Thank you so much for this. I use Dermalogica products and I swear by them, but they are also breaking the bank but I can't go back to using cheap products. But i really like the sound of this and will try it. Thanks ladies.

An exfoliating treatment I've heard of is to grind up aspirin and mix with water and use as a mask on faces. I think it's good for acne-prone skin. I've never tried it and can imagine it's quite harsh. I think the aspirin should be well diluted. But please google it and make your own judgement - I haven't tried it, so can't comment on it.

I've heard of the brown sugar and shower gel for an exfoliating body scrub.
    Also heated oatmeal is a great moisturising mask.

The exfoliating treatment makes sense as aspirin contains anti inflammmatory ingredients, so it should help calm down the skin. I used it for psoriasis, I mixed it with a light moisturiser left it to work its magic for a while and then rinsed. Deffo helped. Hope others have the same luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    You can make a facial scrub at home with coconut milk, salt and ground cinnamon whisk or mix all together and apply to face
    I'd be tempted to add crushed ice, a dash of mailbu and throw it down the hatch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Many of the Marks & Spencers perfumes are very good copies of well known more expensive scents. Also, I have heard that their skincare range is actually made by either Clinique or Clarins and just repackaged in M&S bottles, at a far less expensive price.

Will second Essence and Catrice for nail polishes. Catrice mascara is quite good for it's price too. Avon eyeliners are really good and can often be got half price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

vaseline under the eyes as a moisturising eye mask

conditioner is great for shaving with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

+1 for the oil cleansing method. I use EVOO and castor oil now and will never go back to the 'usual' way. My skin looks and feels much better, and I never go near moisturiser at all.

Coconut oil - brilliant for more or less everything. Deep conditioning hair treatment, dry cuticle cream, skin shimmer, the list goes on.

Mayonnaise - great for dry hair. If you can stand the smell.

www.themakeupalley.com for enlightening me on the joys of cheap products...it's a site that has loads of user reviews so you can search by brand, product, see what percentage of people would buy again, etc etc. I love it. It's introduced me to Essence eye primer (bye bye Urban Decay), Essence gel eyeliner and ELF stuff in general. Cheap make up ftw!

Body scrub, although I think it's been mentioned: sugar and any oil (vegetable, olive etc). Just make sure you clean the bath afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is fantastic for removing makeup! It's great for your skin too.

Also Boots moisturising lotion and Dove Beauty Bars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Eire.

For a make up fixing or setting spray, you can very easily and cheaply make your own. Just mix 2tablespoons glycerin to about 10 ounces of water :)
    Also vaseline at night to keep the lashes healthy and supposedly to help them grow too

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbs28

If you put some porridge oats in tights, or something of a similar material, and let the water pour through it when you are filling the bath, you will get all the goodness of the oats into your skin, also If your hair is really dry and damaged, rub liquid parafin all over, cover and leave for a few hours, it will take a while to rinse it out and you will have to shampoo it several times, but it makes your hair really shiny and healthy looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Chickabic

Suncream is the best anti ageing cream you could use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I love sudacreme for an over night mask, it will help spots because its anti septic and it heals skin too!
    lidl cotton pads are cheap and I find you don't waste that much product because they aren't too thick

I always check the price of things in different shops to try get the most I can, if you can get it in tesco or Penneys then its usually much cheaper then boots etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbs28

I agree, penneys nearly always cheaper. you can get cotton pads, facial wipes for nothing! They also have lovely powder brushes that are so cheap and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were really good quality, lovely and soft and no shedding at all!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Coconut oil for everything! hair conditioner, removing heavy eye makeup or even just everyday make up with a cotton pad, face moisturieser, body mosteriser, and even to clean makeup brushes the product just slides off even dark black eyeshadows , so cheap too! about 6 euro in health food shop:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Bio Oil in Penney's 60ml for 6.50 Euro. Boots 60ml for 11.68 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

Lollers wrote: »
    The exfoliating treatment makes sense as aspirin contains anti inflammmatory ingredients, so it should help calm down the skin. I used it for psoriasis, I mixed it with a light moisturiser left it to work its magic for a while and then rinsed. Deffo helped. Hope others have the same luck with it.

Hi, my mam has psoriasis as well, she be happy to try it. how much aspirin would you put in your moisturiser??

Hi, my mam has psoriasis as well, she be happy to try it. how much aspirin would you put in your moisturiser??

One aspirin crushed up while in the metal foil should be enough to help. Also works for scalp psosasis, mix some aspirin with a bland scalp lotion like this
    http://reviews.boots.com/2111-en_gb/34646/boots-expert-boots-expert-intensive-soothing-lotion-reviews/reviews.htm leave on for a few mins and then rinse. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Hey all

Brilliant thread - my tip is for the Lacura Concealor from Aldi.... I think its brilliant!
    Its a pen type highlighting concealor like the Touch Eclat but its only €4.50. I also like their compact face powder which is only €2.99.:) Really can't beat those prices:D

However, don't like the mascara - it smells rank:(

They also do lipsticks, lip gloss and nail polish and a foundation but I haven't tried any of those YET ha ha ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

lubie76 wrote: »

I think I would be a bit dubious about this. I have adult acne,would putting oil on it not really flare up spots?

I use precleanse to take of my makeup,and while it is very expensive I do think it lasts quite a long time. I brought my bottle in November of last year, and Im just getting to the end of it now.
    I was going to try out The Sancturarys cleansing oil which they released recently.Anyone else tried it?

In terms of getting good value for money on higher end things, it can be better to get a set with a few different items in it that you can try out for the same or just a little more money. Especially at Christmas time when a lot of counters do bundles or special sets.

Also, if you want something particular from say lancome or clinique, you could shop around the various dept shops and see if any of them are giving a free gift. I've found the little samples in those to be a decent size and come in very useful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you live near a Dealz shop, they do an amazing rip off of Bio Oil for €1.49. Works just as well as the real thing! They also have all sorts of branded makeup for €1.49, it's a random selection but always worth a look. I got a load of Sally Hansen nail polishes last time I was in. They sell SO much beauty stuff, it can be great for hair colour too. I get Schwartzkopf live XXl colour in there for €1.49 too.

Lidl do a great perfume called 'Suddenly' which is a very good dupe of Coco Mademoiselle. It's got decent staying power considering it costs €3 too, I can normally still smell it for about 6 hours or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

panda100 wrote: »
    I think I would be a bit dubious about this. I have adult acne,would putting oil on it not really flare up spots?

I use precleanse to take of my makeup,and while it is very expensive I do think it lasts quite a long time. I brought my bottle in November of last year, and Im just getting to the end of it now.
    I was going to try out The Sancturarys cleansing oil which they released recently.Anyone else tried it?

I don't know about The Sanctuary stuff, and I'm not sure about acne, but I do know of women who use OCM on oily skin. I haven't read too much into the science behind it (my skin is normal/dry so I never felt I needed to) but oil cancels oil, apparently. Might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

GOSH primer is almost as good as Smashbox, and half the price too. Also, I've found that using make-up sponges wastes less foundation than brushes, so your foundation lasts longer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Collection 2000 concealer is fantastic, and only about €6. It's much better than far more expensive ones I have had and it has lasting power. Only set back - it stinks!

Lidl shampoo and conditioner (Cien) are great and super cheap. I have really dry hair and they left it really soft. Aldi shampoo/conditioner were not so good though (pretty crappy really).

Silcocks base is a brilliant body/dry areas moisturiser. I use it all over my body and on patches on my face (I have really dry skin). Super cheap for a giant tub (also comes in a tube) and no fragrances etc. so good for sensitive skin (I have a friend who uses it on her newborn baby and no problems!).

Cotton pads/balls/buds are really cheap in Lidl and Aldi and they are just as good as the more expensive ones.

Using a soft toothbrush to exfoliate lips is a very cost effective method - the brush lasts ages and you can use it with some vaseline to add a bit of moisture at the same time!

Olive oil and baby shampoo are great (the best I have used) for cleaning make up brushes, and cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Versatile Fashionista

- Dealz is great for shampoo, conditioner, nail polish remover etc.; you can't go wrong for €1.49!!

- Lidl 'Cien' 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner; cheap, effective, and dead handy for the gym, weekends away etc.

- Essence make-up and nail varnish; great for testing different colours and shades out without splurging. I find that their products are great quality for the price too.

Hi has anyone tried out cien day or night face creams? I was looking at them today (having picked up my cien deodorant and razors really cheaply!). They look a lot like Nivea - are they owned by the same company? That makes me a bit skeptical of trying out the face cream cos I find nivea products to be too rich for my oily/combo skin. If anyone has had any experience of them, let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 pixieprinny

After spending buckets of money on foundation, a friend suggested trying E.L.F products.

You can get everything from like £1.50-£10.00

I literally had a makeup bag full of both liquid and powder foundation, blush and eye make-up for about £20.00

They do great offers all the time, like 50% of everything and free stuff when you send more than £10/€12

eyeslipsface.co.uk

Delivery is only £4.00 to here no matter how much you buy

I also love ELF eyeshadow I bought this pallet for around 7.50 sterling
    8052%20PRODUCT%20IMAGE.jpg

The colours are great and last for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

^ What's it like in comparison to higher end eye shadows? I mean, do the shadows feel chalky?

I have a weird thing about eye shadows that I think feel like chalk! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Novella wrote: »
    ^ What's it like in comparison to higher end eye shadows? I mean, do the shadows feel chalky?

I have a weird thing about eye shadows that I think feel like chalk! :pac:

http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~363.htm

I have this smaller palette, I find some of the shadows are a little too powdery...like some of the matte colours...but for the shimmery ones, the pink one i always use is the exact same as my clinique duo shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

One more for oil cleansing. You just have to find the right oil for you.

I use mineral oil (baby oil). Tesco baby oil works wonders on me. (I tried Johnsons once, didn't turn out as well) Shu Uemura's famous (and quite pricey) oil cleansers have mineral oil as their base ingredient.

I do not follow the oil cleansing method though. I don't steam and etc. I apply the oil to dry face, massage for a few minutes, wet face a bit and remove with wet cotton pads (I have sensitive skin so muslin clothes or a big no for me). Every bit of make-up is removed.

And I am very clog prone as well as mildy acne prone. Had no problems with mineral oil so far. I first tried jojoba oil, as I used to use MAC Cleanse Off Oil and its base is jojoba. Oddly, didn't work for me. So, you have to try and find out the best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone tried out cien day or night face creams? I was looking at them today (having picked up my cien deodorant and razors really cheaply!). They look a lot like Nivea - are they owned by the same company? That makes me a bit skeptical of trying out the face cream cos I find nivea products to be too rich for my oily/combo skin. If anyone has had any experience of them, let me know!

I've heard only good reports about these products, however I got the day and night creams and after a couple of days I broke out in a rash :( I do have quite sensitive skin though so unless you're skin is sensitive too I wouldn't let that put you off. It's such a pity though because the prices are great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Has anyone ever tried making their own wax at home for some DIY waxing? I'd like to try it but want to hear other's experiences:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried making their own wax at home for some DIY waxing? I'd like to try it but want to hear other's experiences:P
    I did once, it turned out like toffee, so I didn't try putting it near my skin :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I did once, it turned out like toffee, so I didn't try putting it near my skin :P

Haha I'd be pretty wary of putting any toffee-like substance on my skin too :P I'd only be doing my underarms and lower legs with it...intimate home waxing seems like it could go so very wrong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Haha I'd be pretty wary of putting any toffee-like substance on my skin too :P I'd only be doing my underarms and lower legs with it...intimate home waxing seems like it could go so very wrong :pac:
    Before I did it, I read various reviews and blogs on it, watched some videos and they all said make home made wax is like basically making a sweet, you have to get it just right or you will end up with a sweet, like I did.

Personally, it's not something I would try. I'd be very wary of getting any burns etc from it so wouldn't chance it.

I much prefer going to the salon to get it done, but alas it's pretty expensive, so I only get it done for special occasions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement