Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

budget beauty

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I might just stick to emptying my poor account so!:P Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear some real experience, rather than just reading about it in blogs and such.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

The Gaurdian has an interesting piece today, as well as top beauty buys for under a tenner, it also includes a short video explaining how all the top beauty houses own other make up brands, i.e. Lancome and Loreal are owned by the same company and their expensive brands ingredients filter down to their cheaper brands, well worth watching. http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/2012/jun/08/sali-hughes-hero-products-under-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I saw a tip on the internet for faking expensive mascaras. They said that it's essentially the brush that makes the big difference between mascaras (don't know how true that is). Anyway, if there's a high end mascara you like, clean off the wand after its all gone and use it in other cheaper mascaras. Might be worth a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

That dealz store as mentioned in an earlier post do great beauty products A+ for the bio oil and make up wipes.

Has a fake tan lover I only every used well known brands. Took the risk and bought the mouse tan in Dealz for 1.49 , and I must say I was Impressed :)
    really good and even better than some of the other false tans I have paid €12-20 for.
    Doesn't smell the most pleasent, but sure what false tan does .... Nothing a bit of scented moisturiser won't fix :)

• http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~363.htm

I have this smaller palette, I find some of the shadows are a little too powdery...like some of the matte colours...but for the shimmery ones, the pink one i always use is the exact same as my clinique duo shadow

How big is that? I can't really tell. I've been looking for an 'all in one' palette to carry in my handbag and the price for all that is incredible.

I'm a big ELF fan generally - some of their products are hit and miss but I think their brushes, brush cleansers and eyeliners are very good. I got a great concealer kit from them last week as well - really happy with it and it was under £4.

Has anyone with oily skin tried any of the oil cleanse methods? I'd love to give it a go but can't imagine how it wouldn't just break me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I spotted in Debenhams on Henry St last 3xbottles of Nip+Fab facial cleansing oil for €15 - probably about 150mls in each bottle. They also had a set of 3xbody oils for €18 - might be useful to the ladies interested in oil cleansing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Has anyone with oily skin tried any of the oil cleanse methods? I'd love to give it a go but can't imagine how it wouldn't just break me out.[/Quote]

I think this has been mentioned in this thread before if you look back but the OCM seems to be even more effective for oily skin. Something to do with treating like with like. Anyway I can tell you as someone who suffered from adult acne ( mostly on the chin area) that the OCM has completely cleared my skin up. It took about 4-5 weeks of regular cleansing to clear completely but it defo started to improve after 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

does anyone know where I could get coconut oil in Limerick, I tried a few health food shops but it was crazy money
    I ordered some Aragan Oil from Avon (pretty cheap too) so hopefully that will help out my dry split ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

ams wrote: »
    I spotted in Debenhams on Henry St last 3xbottles of Nip+Fab facial cleansing oil for €15 - probably about 150mls in each bottle. They also had a set of 3xbody oils for €18 - might be useful to the ladies interested in oil cleansing

I bought these - tried first last night and it's such a great consistency! Also smells pretty fabulous.. hope it works ok for me, as I have 3 bottles. Considering going back for the body oils :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Also on the website. Just ordered, Thanks! http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_157127002199_-1 The 3 body oils are £12.25 http://www.asos.com/NipFab/NIP-FAB-Multi-Fix-Oil-x-3-SAVE-60/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2347639&SearchQuery=Nip%20Fab&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Multifixoil on Asos so slightly cheaper there but the facial cleansing oil is £10.25 for just one:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

kandr10 wrote: »
    I saw a tip on the internet for faking expensive mascaras. They said that it's essentially the brush that makes the big difference between mascaras (don't know how true that is). Anyway, if there's a high end mascara you like, clean off the wand after its all gone and use it in other cheaper mascaras. Might be worth a go!

I've been doing this for about 4 years now, buy the cheaper Essence/Catrice mascaras and use my more expensive brushes in them. So cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

lil'bug wrote: »
    does anyone know where I could get coconut oil in Limerick, I tried a few health food shops but it was crazy money
    I ordered some Aragan Oil from Avon (pretty cheap too) so hopefully that will help out my dry split ends

I usually get it in the health food shop in the crescent. Think its called natures way they come in glas bottles. just pop the bottle in hot water to soften the oil and transfer to a tub!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 x167346

Lanacane Anti Chafing Gel contains many of the ingrediants used in the top brands of foundation primer and it's only a fraction of the price you can get it in many chemists for €3-€4.

Also Coconut oil is a great all over body moisturiser and oil treatment for you hair, you can get it from health shops for €3-€6! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Is that the same as the coconut oil you can get in a tub too? I haven't seen it in the shops but saw it advertised in Irish magazines so I must go looking for it.

I read on beaut.ie that Aldi have brought out a dupe of Moroccan Oil. It's in an identical bottle and is called Miracle Oil. Not sure if it's their everyday range or a one off special. It is 3.99. I'll have a look next time I'm in Aldi and let ye know.

I also just read up on the Lidl dupe of Coco Madamoiselle. Apparently 90% of people in a blind test chose it over the Chanel ;) Am going to try it and will report back.

Trying to find out if there's any truth in the rumour that Clarins make the skincare in M&S. Been scouting around the internet and there is no firm answer but I'm sure it's not something Clarins would want to be too public.

Olay is on offer in Tesco at the moment. The Daily Facials are now under €3 and they are fab. The BB type cream they do (Touch of Foundation) is now just over €6 and it's one of my favourite products ever. I wear it all the time and every time I do I get compliments on my skin. It's FAB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Johnson's baby oil is the best moisturiser I've ever used. I think its about €1.50 a bottle and I just put it on straight away when I hop out of the shower :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Toothpaste on spots if you have no spot cream/don't want to buy it.
    Doesn't dry out the patch of skin you put it on either.
    Just don't let anyone see you wearing it...

I also just read up on the Lidl dupe of Coco Madamoiselle. Apparently 90% of people in a blind test chose it over the Chanel ;) Am going to try it and will report back

I got the shakes thinking about this! I didn't know they did 'fragrance' now.
    I used to wear it all the time and smelt it on someone the other day
    - maybe it was from Lidl! *7 miles outta my way but first in the morning queue*

kandr10 wrote: »

I do this.

What I also do is put one mascara on for the first coat and then when that's dry I put another coat on with a different mascara.
    The different brushes really do make all the difference this way too.

My Max Factor Masterpiece brush suits my eye shape the best and being rubber/soft plastic it keeps really well as opposed to the usual fibre? brushes.

Also Barry M Inkwell liquid eyeliner wands - I have a few old ones and I wet them with fragrance free baby wipes to dip into eyeshadows that are too dark to use as eyeshadows - you know the type - the ones you get stuck with in palettes.

The 2euro shop has some great deals at the moment. A large tube of Nair hair removal cream is €1.50 (normally €6 or so in Boots) and they have the Vaseline infusions body lotion for €1.50 as well (normally over €7 in Dunnes anyway :eek:) - wanted to try this for ages as it sinks in to your skin really fast so nice and light for the muggy weather we're having at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

+ 1 to the comment about baby oil, I've used it for years and my skin is so soft, also good for removing eye makeup and glue from false eye lashes.
    Gosh primer - as good as smashbox, often on special offer in pharmarcys, got a big jar for €10 recently,
    NYC - facepowers, they do lovely colour wheels for €3.49, false lashes are also great value.
    Bio - Oil brilliant as a moisturiser for drier skin
    Quinoderm acne cream €4.99 in pharmacys will dry any spot out in 24hrs highly recommend
    I also always buy baby wipes instead of facewipes, find them much wetter and better value.
    adverts.ie is also great for picking up bargains with makeup and perfume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Olive oil - throw some into your hair, tie it up for an hour (I sometimes put some on face too), and give it a good wash with shampoo/hot water.

Water-drinking it that is. Does wonders.

Small tin of vaseline-good for shiny lips. Dab on cheeks for a bit of shine. Eye lashes also for a bit of shine. And eyebrows if they unruley.

csi vegas wrote: »
    I got the shakes thinking about this! I didn't know they did 'fragrance' now.
    I used to wear it all the time and smelt it on someone the other day
    - maybe it was from Lidl! *7 miles outta my way but first in the morning queue*

Hoping to get a bottle today or tomorrow. Did you get one yet? At 3.49 it's worth a try! If it's not nice to wear I can always take the lid off and just leave it in hotpress/wardrobe/undies drawer!

The 2euro shop has some great deals at the moment. A large tube of Nair hair removal cream is €1.50 (normally €6 or so in Boots) and they have the Vaseline infusions body lotion for €1.50 as well (normally over €7 in Dunnes anyway :eek:) - wanted to try this for ages as it sinks in to your skin really fast so nice and light for the muggy weather we're having at the minute.

Heading to 2euro shop! Was dying to try Vaseline infusions. I am such a body lotion junkie. Have tons of half-used bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Has anyone ever used sleek make up before? I heard its just as good as mac!

I ordered loads of things from their website last week but they haven't even dispatched them yet :(

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

I ordered loads of things from their website last week but they haven't even dispatched them yet :(

What have you ordered? I love the pout paints and the eyeshadows are grand but I'm used to Inglot and they wouldn't be the same standard to be honest!

I ordered an eyeshadow palette / oh so special I think
    A luminous powder, and a pout polish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I've never used Mac but I love Sleek make-up. I have two eyeshadow palettes which are amazing and the tinted lip conditioner which I also like. I haven't used their foundation as the superdrug up the road from me only stocks it in darker shades but my housemate swears it's the best non-high end foundation she's used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alainnbeauty

the eyeshadows are great love them , i actually prefer them to inglot but no way near as good as UD , blush cant fault them either , pout paints class only a tiny bit of product gos a long way. havnt used anything else . cloud10beauty are a irish company tht sell sleek and delivery is 3euro . iv always got my order the day after iv ordered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amg23

MUA are a brand sold in superdrug and online. they have a palette called undressed thats a very good fake for the urban decay naked palette. its only £4 plus delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

+1 for MUA - they do a dark purple eyeshadow that's my favourite out of all I own - UD and MAC included.

• Advertisement

Just got my sleek stuff today! Can't wait to play around with the shadows I am well impressed. Don't think I'll be buying expensive stuff again!

Re: Lidl perfume - dupe of Chanel Coco Madamoiselle
    Hoping to get a bottle today or tomorrow. Did you get one yet? At 3.49 it's worth a try! If it's not nice to wear I can always take the lid off and just leave it in hotpress/wardrobe/undies drawer!

Hi Vanilla,

I'm just back from searching two Lidl stores and there was no perfume there at all, so I asked at both checkouts had they seen/scanned any at all in recent times and the answer I got was no, they couldn't recall any for sale.

So I then went and tried Aldi (just in case) for a look, none at all, so asked the same question. The guy told me that they had had perfume indeed but that it was part of their 'limited' stock and when it was there it would have been placed along the centre aisles with all the weekly specials, that it must not have been a regular line. He could even say that it was in a small square bottle. :(

BUT...just in case I'm going to post a new thread and quote your posts and mine so other Boards users might have a lead :) because as my OH said to me (after driving me round half the day, bless him) it might actually be a NEW thing that isn't actually available everywhere yet.
    Here's hoping!

csi vegas wrote: »
    Re: Lidl perfume - dupe of Chanel Coco Madamoiselle

Hi Vanilla,

I'm just back from searching two Lidl stores and there was no perfume there at all, so I asked at both checkouts had they seen/scanned any at all in recent times and the answer I got was no, they couldn't recall any for sale.

So I then went and tried Aldi (just in case) for a look, none at all, so asked the same question. The guy told me that they had had perfume indeed but that it was part of their 'limited' stock and when it was there it would have been placed along the centre aisles with all the weekly specials, that it must not have been a regular line. He could even say that it was in a small square bottle. :(

BUT...just in case I'm going to post a new thread and quote your posts and mine so other Boards users might have a lead :) because as my OH said to me (after driving me round half the day, bless him) it might actually be a NEW thing that isn't actually available everywhere yet.
    Here's hoping!

Meant to post here on Sunday after I had been to Lidl. I only tried one branch and didn't have any luck. It's definitely Lidl and not Aldi that had the perfume. When I googled it I found references to it both in November and Feb so I don't think it was one of their weekly specials. My sister saw it in her local lidl (which is the one I tried) and said it was with all the health and beauty stuff that they have all the time, i.e. not down one of the centre aisles where they stock the specials. I will try more branches when I can. If I have any luck I'd gladly pick up a bottle for you. :)

I never heard of the Sleek make up until now but I had a look on the website there and the prices are great so I'm going to give it a go.

Someone mentioned the Vaseline Infusions body lotions are on sale in the pound shops for €1.50. I got it and used it on my legs and feet (thick layer, cotton socks on and slept in them...passion killer or wha':D) and they came out lovely. At 1.50 you don't mind slapping the stuff on with a trowel :)

Anyone use Soap and Glory stuff? I tried a few travel sizes and they are great prices and the stuff lasts ages. I got travel size hand cream and righteous butter and not only do they smell fab but a little goes a long way.

I read about their hot pore cleanser and was impressed. i use Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser which is too expensive for me now and I've just finished my last bottle. Well I am a bit of an ingredients nerd so I compared the ingredients on both the Liz Earle and the cheaper Soap and Glory one and what do you know, they are about 99% the same. When the review on beaut.ie said there was a mild menthol smell on the Soap and Glory one I figured it sounded suspiciously like the Liz Earle one! Going to try it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

I called into my local Lidl this morning. They had no perfumes at all and I know they did in the past, as part of the permanent stock
    I spoke to the manageress and she said that they haven't had any come in in months and she doesn't know why because they were very popular. She also said they have frequent requests for them.
    She will try to find out what is happening with the perfumes and to ask for her when I next call in and she will let me know.

Meant to post here on Sunday after I had been to Lidl. I only tried one branch and didn't have any luck. It's definitely Lidl and not Aldi that had the perfume. When I googled it I found references to it both in November and Feb so I don't think it was one of their weekly specials. My sister saw it in her local lidl (which is the one I tried) and said it was with all the health and beauty stuff that they have all the time, i.e. not down one of the centre aisles where they stock the specials. I will try more branches when I can. If I have any luck I'd gladly pick up a bottle for you. :)

Definitely Lidl so, thanks for confirming!

I tried the health/beauty sections alright (even made a fool of myself rummaging through their specials - which are power tools this week!) but I'm satisfied that I gave it a good bash anyway!
    Good to know it's a a regular line so - should I find it I'll be like "I'll have THESE perfumes please oh, and this shopping too!"

Thanks so much for the kind offer! I will do the same for you!

Eyes on the prize!

Thanks for that Conrach. Good to know it's definitely regular stock. I'd say they just have low stock in general (at Lidl HQ lol) because they are just so popular.

I did read somewhere about a woman that had 10 bottles of it in her trolley :eek:so when it does come in it must fly off the shelves. They might have to do a customer limit on it like they do on wine specials in some supermarkets. Only 2 bottles per customer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Anyone use Soap and Glory stuff? I tried a few travel sizes and they are great prices and the stuff lasts ages. I got travel size hand cream and righteous butter and not only do they smell fab but a little goes a long way.

I absolutely swear by Soap and Glory, have tried pretty much all of their products. The ones I find best are Heel Genius (foot cream), Scrub Your Nose In It (face scrub), Peaches and Clean (cleanser) and Clean on Me (shower gel). I haven't tried the hot cleanser or the righteous butter yet but they're both on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Thanks for that Conrach. Good to know it's definitely regular stock. I'd say they just have low stock in general (at Lidl HQ lol) because they are just so popular.

I did read somewhere about a woman that had 10 bottles of it in her trolley :eek:so when it does come in it must fly off the shelves. They might have to do a customer limit on it like they do on wine specials in some supermarkets. Only 2 bottles per customer :D

No problem, I'll report back if I hear anything and 2 bottles of either wine or perfume is of no use to any woman...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Conrach wrote: »

No problem, I'll report back if I hear anything and 2 bottles of either wine or perfume is of no use to any woman...:D

I bought 5!! (I gave 2 away though!) Why don't you ring lidl head office Ro see to they have any stock, they can tell you locations? I always ring them
    as twice a year amazing sauté pans come in that I buy for work and it saves me driving around blindly!!

Conrach wrote: »

Amen to that ;)

Millem wrote: »
    I bought 5!! (I gave 2 away though!) Why don't you ring lidl head office Ro see to they have any stock, they can tell you locations? I always ring them
    as twice a year amazing sauté pans come in that I buy for work and it saves me driving around blindly!!

Good idea, never thought of ringing head office! What do you think of the perfume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Good idea, never thought of ringing head office! What do you think of the perfume?

Absolutely gorgeous. I gave a bottle to my friend who wears madamoseille and she says it is basically identical but doesn't last as long! She was in boots and a girl who works there could smell it on her and commented that her favourite perfume was madamoseille also! Lol my friend never corrected her to tell her it not chanel but from lidl!!!

Absolutely gorgeous. I gave a bottle to my friend who wears madamoseille and she says it is basically identical but doesn't last as long! She was in boots and a girl who works there could smell it on her and commented that her favourite perfume was madamoseille also! Lol my friend never corrected her to tell her it not chanel but from lidl!!!

It's like what I do when people compliment my "Gucci" bag.

I absolutely swear by Soap and Glory, have tried pretty much all of their products. The ones I find best are Heel Genius (foot cream), Scrub Your Nose In It (face scrub), Peaches and Clean (cleanser) and Clean on Me (shower gel). I haven't tried the hot cleanser or the righteous butter yet but they're both on my list.

All on my list for next trip to boots! Love the way in boots they do the little travel sized bottles. I get loads of different creams/scrubs etc as you don't spend much in one go and if you don't like it it's no big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I love the soap and Glory Cheekmate I perfer it to Benetint
    cheekmate_1.jpg

I bought a tube of it months ago and still have loads left for a fraction of the price of benetint

lil'bug wrote: »
    I love the soap and Glory Cheekmate I perfer it to Benetint
    cheekmate_1.jpg

I bought a tube of it months ago and still have loads left for a fraction of the price of benetint

Added to my boots shopping list! Love the packaging of this too. Soap and Glory packaging is A1 :)

Has anyone ever tried sleek cream to powder foundation?

Boots have a great offer on hair products at the minute - 3 for €12 on Toni & Guy,Umberto Gianni, John Frieda, James Brown etc. Of course managed to pick up 6 things but it was a saving of €26 so pretty good - basically most products in the ranges are over €8 so just less than half price!

Also picked up a Revlon Colorburst lippy on ebay for cheap - really nice for day wear - quite similar to the lip butter really but more glossy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Has anyone ever tried sleek cream to powder foundation?

Yeah, I use it mainly as a concealer because it's way too thick a coverage for me. It gives a really nice satin finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement