Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Cobh - Co. cork ???

Options
  • 09-05-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

I am moving to Cork with work and would like to live not in the city.. I dont mind 20 - 30 min drive - I looked at cobh which will suit work as I am on the outs of the city..

What is Cobh like to live??

What are the peep's like- are they friendly ??

I am 30, love to have a drink and get out n' about

any advise would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Loads of nosey people live in cobh. Other than that theres a good choice of pubs and restraunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I once considered living in cobh. 3 People I know who had grown up in cobh advised me not to live in cobh.
    The access is terrible. One road in and out, A reasonable train during 7am-11pm. A cross river ferry, which is fine if you are not stuck for time and have no problem with the service stopping suddenly for repairs.
    There was a crash on the main road a few weeks ago, caused a road closure(R.I.P) for most of a day. Anyone from the island working in little island, midleton or even carrigtwohill had to detour via the cross river ferry and back thru th echoc a block lee tunnel.
    Possibly the greatest concentration of single mothers in Ireland.
    Zero sources of employment, apart from retail or tourism.
    And the worst view of the Most beautiful harbour in Ireland.
    Not to mention the Asthma and cancer hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

The access is terrible. One road in and out

That tends to happen when you live on an island. You could have one cross from East Ferry Marina to the other side, but how much traffic would that really see? And it's not as if the road down to the marina would be suitable for traffic passing through. The Fota bridge is at the closest point the island meets the mainland and the road is directly connected to the dual carriageway on the N40 (formerly N25). Where else could you construct a bridge? Somewhere across to Passage West? You'd have to build one that seperates due to all the ships coming to and from Cork, and the ferry operates that route anyway.
    A cross river ferry, which is fine if you are not stuck for time and have no problem with the service stopping suddenly for repairs.

Odd. I've taken the ferry many times and never has it stopped for repair. When it is exceptionally busy they operate two ferries instead of the usual one.

Huh? How would you know?
    And the worst view of the Most beautiful harbour in Ireland.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Patch85

Cobh is fine, It is a typical Irish town at its best and worst. The town has a large number of sports clubs and everything like that. A fairly modern and clean leisure centre and funnily enough the town seems to be overrun by fastfood, chippers, and chinese etc. It is a great town in the summer to walk about and the people are friendly depending where you go. Rent alone is a decider as there are a huge number of new properties to rent far cheaper and better condition than the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dave-0

I lived in Cobh for many years. I would love to return there. That fact that you want to live within 20/30 minutes from the city would make Cobh a likely option. But depending on your work time and where, the jack lynch can be busy. There are enough pubs to shake a stick at. For some reason, Friday nights seem to be quite and Saturday nights a lot bussier. The Rob Roy bar was my favorite. They get a lot of live bands which can be excellent. I would head on down there on a weekend for yourself if I was you. As for out and about... Depends what you mean, GAA, Soccer, Rugby, GYM, swimming pool, sailing / kayaking, golf, fishing, are all covered. Mahon point is just up the road for the cinema. I never took to the Middleton cinema. The regatta some time in August is mighty if the weather holds up.
    I can not get my head around the comments like single mothers, asthma and cancer... Gimme a break like. There is a lot of angry people typing away on keyboards out there!
    If you end up moving there, let us know how you find it. Id always like to know what a "blow in" to the island thinks of it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The access is terrible. One road in and out, A reasonable train during 7am-11pm. A cross river ferry, which is fine if you are not stuck for time and have no problem with the service stopping suddenly for repairs.
    There was a crash on the main road a few weeks ago, caused a road closure(R.I.P) for most of a day.

I've lived in Cobh (well, Rushbrooke) for the last 8 years and you're way out there. Yes, there is only one road to the island, but that's in the nature of islands! A route has been chosen for an upgraded, alternative road and bridge consisting of dual carriageway from the N25 to IFI. With the current funding situation, the likelihood of this starting anytime soon is admittedly low. I don't use the ferry very often but it does what it does well, and quick. Has there been breakdowns? Yes, very occasionally. The fatal crash on the Fota road did indeed cause it to be closed - overnight from 9pm Friday to 9am Saturday, hardly "most of a day" and hardly at a peak time. This is the only time this has happened in my time there. On one other occasion, about 5/6 years ago, the bridge to the island was closed for 2 hours or so due to very high flood waters and a storm. These are the only times access has been closed in my 8 years here! As for commuting times, it takes me approx 30-35 minutes to the UCC area at peak times - often quicker than people coming from Rochestown! I can hit the airport in 20 mins early in the morning.

As for the train, very very few towns the size of Cobh, and its outer stations such as Rushbrooke, are lucky enough to have their own dedicated rail link, which operates every 30 mins at peak times (I used it this morning).
    Zero sources of employment, apart from retail or tourism.
    The lack of employment is pretty much true. Greatest concentration of single mothers? Who knows. Cobh gets a bad rep (possibly due to being a port town), but TBH it's similar to most other large towns in Ireland, no better, no worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've lived there for a little over 3 years now, and I would recommend it.
    Depending on where you live, you can get quiet, leafy areas within easy walking distance of the town, pubs, restaurants and the train station.

There is a large number of fast food place, true, but there also are some really decent restaurants, and some of the pubs do really decent food as well.

Traffic is surprisingly good, considering that there is only one bridge. I've never had any problems at all. But depending on where you work, the N25 and the Jack Lynch tunnel can get very busy at peak hours, as was pointed out earlier.

There's a lot of sport clubs, the leisure centre is great (well, the pool is usually full of screaming brats during the day, but thankfully they've got adult only hours between 8 and 10 most nights.

The only downside I ever found was that state the library was in. It's being renovated now, so I'm hopeful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vsolid

Thanks guys for all your wisdom,

So I am now living in Cobh now.....

Have to say I love it, traffic is not bad really as i dont work till 10am.. you are right about the chippers and take aways lol (i have packed on 1/2 stone since the move due to well just laziness lol)

We had a few drinks in the Village in up by the priates rugby pitch, nice little pub and I noticed everbody eating take away at the counter..! (mad for the take aways in Cobh lol)

But all in all i think I am going to be happy here...

I am a big fan of single mothers, I am at that age....

Thanks again guys,

VS

Vsolid wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all your wisdom,

So I am now living in Cobh now.....

Have to say I love it, traffic is not bad really as i dont work till 10am.. you are right about the chippers and take aways lol (i have packed on 1/2 stone since the move due to well just laziness lol)

We had a few drinks in the Village in up by the priates rugby pitch, nice little pub and I noticed everbody eating take away at the counter..! (mad for the take aways in Cobh lol)

But all in all i think I am going to be happy here...

I am a big fan of single mothers, I am at that age....

Thanks again guys,

VS

Wow, that was a quick move.
    Welcome to Cobh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Best of luck!
    However, my impression of Cobh is that it's a rough garrisson town.
    Plenty of council estates etc.
    Rough pubs and nightlife in general.
    The Gardai in Cobh earn their money.

There are plenty of nicer towns within 30 mins of the city.

well I am here now, council estate don't mean anything I grew on one, well one of the "worst" in waterford.
    Is the something u have experienced or just heard about...

Other towns give me a few names if u can, I havent really ventured down town yet.. any tips on where to say clear of, I have transformed myself into a lover not a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

well I am here now, council estate don't mean anything I grew on one, well one of the "worst" in waterford.
    Is the something u have experienced or just heard about...

It's a lot harder moving into an area with problems than growing up in one in my experience. In the latter case, at least you know the people involved in causing trouble and have an idea how to deal with them (and they leave you alone more because you're not a newcomer).

Other towns give me a few names if u can, I havent really ventured down town yet.. any tips on where to say clear of, I have transformed myself into a lover not a fighter.

Anywhere else really
    Midleton
    Crosshaven
    Carrigaline
    Kinsale
    Ballincollig are all nicer than Cobh.

But this is just my opinion and everybody is entitled to a different one

Anywhere else really

Midleton - suicide capital of Ireland supposedly.
    Crosshaven - enjoy that commute.
    Carrigaline - they still having riots in the pubs there?
    Kinsale - another long commute.
    Ballincollig - scumbag infested.

Y'see - it's easy to play "your town is crap" isn't it?

Midleton - suicide capital of Ireland supposedly.
    Crosshaven - enjoy that commute.
    Carrigaline - they still having riots in the pubs there?
    Kinsale - another long commute.
    Ballincollig - scumbag infested.

Y'see - it's easy to play "your town is crap" isn't it?

Haha
    You think that Ballincollig is scumbag infested ...but you like Cobh???
    Haha

Live at the Apollo this is :D

I've got an idea... how about you take your head out of your ass and accept that every town has it's ups and downs? That okay with everyone?

Azhrei wrote: »
    I've got an idea... how about you take your head out of your ass and accept that every town has it's ups and downs? That okay with everyone?
    Good enough for me mate

Azhrei wrote: »

Pretty much the point I was making!

So...all the girls have lovely bottoms :)
    Is this what you are trying to say???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jwilco

You can enjoy the full year around reminder of The Titanic. That alone is worth moving to Cobh plus Ramblers:)

I thought Las Ramblas was in Barcelona
    Silly me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Best of luck!
    However, my impression of Cobh is that it's a rough garrisson town.
    Plenty of council estates etc.
    Rough pubs and nightlife in general.
    The Gardai in Cobh earn their money.

There are plenty of nicer towns within 30 mins of the city.

Not a rough garrison town actually a lovely tourist destination
    Has about the same number of council estates as everywhere else
    Some pubs are nosy like everywhere. Iv been in pubs around the country and when you walk in if they dont know you the heads turn but for the most part they are quite friendly.
    Kind of an ignorant statement about the gardai. Cobh gets a fairly bad rep mainly because the garda station for the region is stationed here and the court handles cases from around cork.

It's all about opinions
    I'm entitled to mine I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Not a rough garrison town actually a lovely tourist destination
    Has about the same number of council estates as everywhere else
    Some pubs are nosy like everywhere. Iv been in pubs around the country and when you walk in if they dont know you the heads turn but for the most part they are quite friendly.
    Kind of an ignorant statement about the gardai. Cobh gets a fairly bad rep mainly because the garda station for the region is stationed here and the court handles cases from around cork.

It is the main centre of accomodation(after Carrigaline) for the entire Naval service. That is what makes it a garrison town. If they aren't navy now, they were once. Or their dad/uncle/grandfather was. No other reason for a jackeen to move there.
    Cobh used to have a record of more pubs per head of population than anywhere else in the world. It was called "the holy ground" for that reason, and the amount of prostitutes working in the same area, now mostly demolished.
    As for Gardai, Cobh Garda station is the GQ that covers Cobh, Carrigtwohill, Glanmire and Carrignavar. Now I know "C2Hill" and Glanmire can be rough, but Carrignavar is hardly the crime capital of east cork.
    The cobh gardai spend most of their time dealing with the **** cobh throws at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Cobh is full of weirdos. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Cobh has interesting visitors too . What's his face George clooney around the place . ! A few weeks back . It's lovely to visit .. Marlougue I think it's called down to the east of Cobh is beautiful on a sunny day .... When the suns there that is !!

Marlogue is the wood that is attached to East Ferry Marina, where the Marlogue Inn sits looking over the water. The wood was planted by my grandfather along with a friend of his, and when he wasn't working on the farm he was clearing out paths and widening the current ones. He told me that back in the 50's the government offered to sell it to him for £100, but he said he didn't even have a hundred pennies back then. When I asked him if he would have bought it if he'd had the money, he said, "Ah, no. It belongs to everyone."

Marlogue Wood and beach is still enjoyed by the people of Cobh as a great place for a walk.

I remember when we were buying the house 3 years ago, we were looking around a general 20 mile radius around Cork, and looked at various places.
    No matter where we were looking, Blarney, Ballincollig, Carrigtwohill, Carrigaline, Kinsale, Coachford, Mallow, Midleton, Macroom, anywhere we mentioned peoples first comment would be "Oh, it's a bit rough out there, lots of scum, are you sure you want to move THERE?"

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I remember when we were buying the house 3 years ago, we were looking around a general 20 mile radius around Cork, and looked at various places.
    No matter where we were looking, Blarney, Ballincollig, Carrigtwohill, Carrigaline, Kinsale, Coachford, Mallow, Midleton, Macroom, anywhere we mentioned peoples first comment would be "Oh, it's a bit rough out there, lots of scum, are you sure you want to move THERE?"

Very rough in Kinsale??? :confused:
    C'mon are you serious???

If anyone think's that Kinsale is as rough as the likes of Cobh then they are mistaken.

Advertisement