Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Cobh - Co. cork ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Good point and well made! :)

Edit - I mean Shenshen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Very rough in Kinsale??? :confused:
    C'mon are you serious???

If anyone think's that Kinsale is as rough as the likes of Cobh then they are mistaken.

Well, a colleague of mine lives down there, and advised us against it on account of the problems the town seems to have.
    But we found that it's pretty much like everywhere else in Ireland : it has its rough bits, but you can easily avoid those areas and live happily and quietly away from them.
    If you move to Cobh, I'd advise avoiding Rushbrook. Everywhere else is absolutely fine and lovely.

Rushbrooke? Why avoid Rushbrooke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I once considered living in cobh. 3 People I know who had grown up in cobh advised me not to live in cobh.
    The access is terrible. One road in and out, A reasonable train during 7am-11pm. A cross river ferry, which is fine if you are not stuck for time and have no problem with the service stopping suddenly for repairs.
    There was a crash on the main road a few weeks ago, caused a road closure(R.I.P) for most of a day. Anyone from the island working in little island, midleton or even carrigtwohill had to detour via the cross river ferry and back thru th echoc a block lee tunnel.
    Possibly the greatest concentration of single mothers in Ireland.
    Zero sources of employment, apart from retail or tourism.
    And the worst view of the Most beautiful harbour in Ireland.
    Not to mention the Asthma and cancer hotspot.

I have to agree 100% with goldie fish.

mikeym wrote: »
    I have to agree 100% with goldie fish.

Maybe you can answer the questions that they have failed to answer, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, a colleague of mine lives down there, and advised us against it on account of the problems the town seems to have.
    But we found that it's pretty much like everywhere else in Ireland : it has its rough bits, but you can easily avoid those areas and live happily and quietly away from them.
    If you move to Cobh, I'd advise avoiding Rushbrook. Everywhere else is absolutely fine and lovely.
    I live in Rushbrooke and its a lovely place to live. What seems to be your issue with Rushbrooke?

And I'm nearby in Whitepoint. Never heard of Rushbrooke as being a place to avoid, it's extremely quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Azhrei wrote: »
    And I'm nearby in Whitepoint. Never heard of Rushbrooke as being a place to avoid, it's extremely quiet.

Yeah, I'd understand Russell Heights etc maybe, but Rushbrooke? I live there so it must be nice! :pac: Seriously though, no problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Azhrei wrote: »

Maybe they mean Rushbrooke Links? That falls into newtown.....

Maybe they mean Rushbrooke Links? That falls into newtown.....

LOL. I live there and it's the first time I've heard anyone claim that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

What is it with the negativity towards Cobh???

I moved there 9 years ago bought a house in the town centre - and I LOVE it. My immediate neighbours are lovely - of different ages/backgrounds. My view is spectacular. I have a lot of visitors from overseas who are jealous of me living in the middle of such a beautiful tourist town. All this "crap" about single mothers so what but I've never noticed an abundance of prams in Cobh vs any other town in this Country! Nor have I (touch wood) ever experienced problems with louts. Infact I go out walking in the evenings on my own summer and winter regularly - and there are always lots of people dog walking, power walking at all times of day and night. Never a problem. I'm really sick of reading people slagging off Cobh. I know a lot of people living in Rushbrook and again there has never been a problem there, that those residents are aware of???

I work in Cork city centre and driving in the middle of morning rush hour - I can get to work within 30-40 minutes. Driving home takes me 25 minutes. I've only had 1 or 2 major delays in the past if there has been a traffic accident. But I've experienced similar delays with traffic accidents "anywhere" on the link road/tunnel/city centre/ Douglas/ Carrigaline - if there is a bad accident anywhere then traffic will be delayed - not just from the Great Island. But we have a better chance of avoiding that - i.e. if we are aware of a road blocked off, we can avail of the ferry service - or get the train!

I can walk to Cobh town centre on an evening and have dinner in a number of lovely restaurants, or a few drinks in one or two preferred bars. Summer or Winter I can view the harbour whilst dining in these venues and watch ships sail by - which I can't anywhere else. Sunny summer days are nicer as you can walk along the waterfront, the promenade, sit in the various waterside bars and just relax watching yachts/cruise liners sailing by.

When I have visitors I can keep them entertained for days without leaving the Great Island i.e. the Titanic Experience, The Heritage Centre, Cobh Museum, Cobh Cathedral, Sirius Art Gallery, The Titanic Walking Tour, The Titanic Harbour Tour, Spike Island Tour, Promenade and Walkways (as previously mentioned). Fota House and Fota Wildlife Park just up the road. Trabolgan, Ballymaloe, Roches Point, White Bay, Ballycotton, Garryvoe - all just a few miles away. Tell me where else in Cork City/County you have so much on your door step to keep your visitors entertained.

There are nice shops in the town centre, with very friendly staff. We have 3 large supermarkets on the outskirsts of the town. Or you can pop into Midleton where there are more shops and Cineplex.

I was a volunteer during Titanic week and I met the most lovely local people, felt part of a real team, wonderful camraderie within the town. And yesterday saw several volunteers from Cobh Tidy Town Committee checking out streets/cleaning up.

Really - stop slagging off Cobh! Spend more time there at weekends and see what it has to offer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Judes wrote: »
    What is it with the negativity towards Cobh???

I moved there 9 years ago bought a house in the town centre - and I LOVE it. My immediate neighbours are lovely - of different ages/backgrounds. My view is spectacular. I have a lot of visitors from overseas who are jealous of me living in the middle of such a beautiful tourist town. All this "crap" about single mothers so what but I've never noticed an abundance of prams in Cobh vs any other town in this Country! Nor have I (touch wood) ever experienced problems with louts. Infact I go out walking in the evenings on my own summer and winter regularly - and there are always lots of people dog walking, power walking at all times of day and night. Never a problem. I'm really sick of reading people slagging off Cobh. I know a lot of people living in Rushbrook and again there has never been a problem there, that those residents are aware of???

I work in Cork city centre and driving in the middle of morning rush hour - I can get to work within 30-40 minutes. Driving home takes me 25 minutes. I've only had 1 or 2 major delays in the past if there has been a traffic accident. But I've experienced similar delays with traffic accidents "anywhere" on the link road/tunnel/city centre/ Douglas/ Carrigaline - if there is a bad accident anywhere then traffic will be delayed - not just from the Great Island. But we have a better chance of avoiding that - i.e. if we are aware of a road blocked off, we can avail of the ferry service - or get the train!

I can walk to Cobh town centre on an evening and have dinner in a number of lovely restaurants, or a few drinks in one or two preferred bars. Summer or Winter I can view the harbour whilst dining in these venues and watch ships sail by - which I can't anywhere else. Sunny summer days are nicer as you can walk along the waterfront, the promenade, sit in the various waterside bars and just relax watching yachts/cruise liners sailing by.

When I have visitors I can keep them entertained for days without leaving the Great Island i.e. the Titanic Experience, The Heritage Centre, Cobh Museum, Cobh Cathedral, Sirius Art Gallery, The Titanic Walking Tour, The Titanic Harbour Tour, Spike Island Tour, Promenade and Walkways (as previously mentioned). Fota House and Fota Wildlife Park just up the road. Trabolgan, Ballymaloe, Roches Point, White Bay, Ballycotton, Garryvoe - all just a few miles away. Tell me where else in Cork City/County you have so much on your door step to keep your visitors entertained.

There are nice shops in the town centre, with very friendly staff. We have 3 large supermarkets on the outskirsts of the town. Or you can pop into Midleton where there are more shops and Cineplex.

I was a volunteer during Titanic week and I met the most lovely local people, felt part of a real team, wonderful camraderie within the town. And yesterday saw several volunteers from Cobh Tidy Town Committee checking out streets/cleaning up.

Really - stop slagging off Cobh! Spend more time there at weekends and see what it has to offer!

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pee wee stairmaster

I really don't get the slagging off of Cobh, my wife and I lived there for a good number of years and I was gutted to leave through work commitments. I think the town has so much to offer with some breathtaking scenery thrown in. (My favourite view has to be from the 'black railings' on the Lake Road with a spectacular view out over the harbour.)
    I would move back there in a heartbeat but my kids now have put down roots and it would be too difficult to move now but I still miss the place, I made some great friends there and I love my visits back.
    What I have noticed is that those who knock the town are very loathe to reveal where they are from themselves. Strange that!

And those who do won't hear any criticism against their home town... hypocrites. Probably jealous of the incredible view we have of the second largest natural harbour in the world.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any town, I'm not sure why Cobh is such a target for people making up such ridiculous stuff as "the most single mothers" or the incomprehensible "worst view of the most beautiful harbour". I've lived in Midleton, Fermoy and Douglas, and while I've found things to appreciate about all those towns - and things that I dislike - my hometown has always remained my favourite. Where else can you get an experience like strolling along the promenade in the summer, eating ice-cream and watching the big liners coming and going? It's an experience that has shrunk considerably over the years as travel became less of a moneymaker due to airlines, and we're lucky at all that people have found money to make on liners so that the long tradition of big ships visiting Cobh can continue.

Cobh has it's problems, but so does every other town in the country. Name me the perfect town and I will call you a liar, because such a thing does not exist. Trolls like eyescreamcone have a lot of growing up to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If you like what Cobh has to offer then live there.
    I don't like the place so I would never entertain the thought.

This is a forum where people express their opinions.
    Don't expect everyone to agree with you!!!

If you like what Cobh has to offer then live there.
    I don't like the place so I would never entertain the thought.

This is a forum where people express their opinions.
    Don't expect everyone to agree with you!!!

No one has said anyone isn't entitled to their opinion. But don't expect factual errors to go unchallenged.

Just thought of another facet to Cobh earlier that goes unmentioned. For all the talk of council estates, scumbags etc, look across at Cobh the next time you're in Passage or Monkstown. Now count all the large, palatial houses. There is a LOT of "old money" in Cobh, yet you never heard it mentioned in the same breath as Montenotte, Tivoli, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the place was looking rather well today.

7262068782_eafe59b82d_z.jpg
    Cobh by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

deRanged wrote: »

The best view of cobh.. As you leave it behind.

I live in whitegate. I get to look at cobh every day. But I'd never live there.
    Whitegate is a kip too. One chipper, two pubs, one shop and the chinese just closed down.
    But I have a fantastic view of the harbour.

I've gone to Cobh for a late evening stroll a few times over the last year / 18 months or so, you wouldn't see any litter about, the place is immaculate and I haven't noticed any scum bags etc. Although generally the folks who bladder on about scumbags here and scumbags there are less than worldly wise imo, Victor Meldrew types.

deRanged wrote: »

Beautiful shot! The weather was great today.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    I've gone to Cobh for a late evening stroll a few times over the last year / 18 months or so, you wouldn't see any litter about, the place is immaculate and I haven't noticed any scum bags etc. Although generally the folks who bladder on about scumbags here and scumbags there are less than worldly wise imo, Victor Meldrew types.

Credit where credit's due - the Tidy Towns crowd have been working their holes off for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Lived in Cobh for nearly two years, and plan on going back someday... I live in WD city centre now, and Cobh is a walk in the park compared to some places.

If you have your wits about you, and you're friendly, you'll have no problems there.

Advertisement