Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hutch: Ask Me Anything

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Is there some kind of scandal or something going on with Machinima?

I saw another 2 guys annoying they were quitting it over contract disputes recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is there some kind of scandal or something going on with Machinima?

I saw another 2 guys annoying they were quitting it over contract disputes recently.
    Yeah there is. There's no real forum to talk about it, and I don't want to go mad off topic here. But I'm not allowed talk about it anyway :D

It's pretty much all over Twitter, and it started with this http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/td8ej/machinima_refuses_to_break_contract_and_says_you/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

H to the usky, Husky is also doing one: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/tdvax/i_am_a_fulltime_youtuber_founder_of_tgs_and/?sort=hot

DooM, a guy (BrainDeadlyEU) signed a contract with no end date and the only mention of Termination was on Machinima's end. Athene also jumped on this and said that he's leaving as a result.

The two videos are hammed up to the max though! BOTH are monetised too, which makes it harder for me to feel sorry for either of them - create controversy / pin blame on a company that get attacked anyways, monetise, laugh all the way to the bank regardless of what happens, possibly get out of contract and sign to another channel that probably pays more...

🤪

Tallon wrote: »
    Yeah there is. There's no real forum to talk about it, and I don't want to go mad off topic here. But I'm not allowed talk about it anyway :D

It's pretty much all over Twitter, and it started with this http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/td8ej/machinima_refuses_to_break_contract_and_says_you/

Holy crap, (this will mean more to Sabre than you) but look who white knights like Phoenix Wright about 10 posts in... Ultradavid :D

Holy crap, (this will mean more to Sabre than you) but look who white knights like Phoenix Wright about 10 posts in... Ultradavid :D

Saw that alright :) At least he knows what he's doing unlike some of the keyboard legal eagles in there!

Interesting to read about Hutch too. Definitely a lot of pressure on these content creators. Also made an interesting point that it's hard to stay authentic / true to yourself and make a living. Suppose people have to have a shtick.

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Saw that alright :) At least he knows what he's doing unlike some of the keyboard legal eagles in there!

Interesting to read about Hutch too. Definitely a lot of pressure on these content creators. Also made an interesting point that it's hard to stay authentic / true to yourself and make a living. Suppose people have to have a shtick.

Over in fighting game land Spooky quitting too- lot of big names in the last while. I guess it's very difficult to keep it up, long term.

I'm often wondering about doing an actual original series, from my very early dabblings in it I can see how much work it'd take.

NOTHING annoys me more online than people making legal statements without any training and stating them as fact. I started out on boards as a retail manager and the crap you'd read in consumer issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The two videos are hammed up to the max though! BOTH are monetised too, which makes it harder for me to feel sorry for either of them

They might not have explicitly decided to monetise them themselves, but once you become a YouTube Partner, all your videos will end up being automatically claimed if you don't do it yourself within a couple of days. I know it happened to me, partnered on Friday, all 500+ videos auto-claimed by Monday.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    They might not have explicitly decided to monetise them themselves, but once you become a YouTube Partner, all your videos will end up being automatically claimed if you don't do it yourself within a couple of days. I know it happened to me, partnered on Friday, all 500+ videos auto-claimed by Monday.

Ah!

But on a sidenote, congrats! :)

🤪

Nope, you have to claim them yourself!

You are only supposed to claim Video Game content, hence the reason for this

But on a sidenote, congrats! :)

Really? I've heard otherwise from three different networks that they periodically auto-claim all your videos (hence why most networks have a copyright sweep before admitting people).

• Advertisement

Really? I've heard otherwise from three different networks that they periodically auto-claim all your videos (hence why most networks have a copyright sweep before admitting people).
    I had to go back and monitise my videos indivually

Some of them are still not monitised, so I'm pretty sure it's not automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Over in fighting game land Spooky quitting too- lot of big names in the last while. I guess it's very difficult to keep it up, long term.

Spooky's not quitting, just taking a break and sticking more to local events at Big Two and stuff like that.

I had to go back and monitise my videos indivually

Some of them are still not monitised, so I'm pretty sure it's not automatic

I guess that's one thing Machinima do different then. I know that Maker, Fullscreen and TGN all auto-claim your entire library.

You are only supposed to claim Video Game content, hence the reason for this

Pardon the ignorance, what exactly do you mean by claimed?

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Spooky's not quitting, just taking a break and sticking more to local events at Big Two and stuff like that.

That's what I meant by quitting -most people know him for travelling the country!-should have been clearer.

Although he said he mightn't bother with Big Two at Civil War.

Pardon the ignorance, what exactly do you mean by claimed?
    Claim money for views and ads

Getting back to Hutch, I asked: "Do you think more people will push towards making YouTube a job (or use as part of a portfolio with other presenting jobs for example)?"

Response: "I think it's going to become more and more difficult to make a solid living on YouTube. The gravy train days are gone and along with it, I hope that the accompanying sense of entitlement goes with it."

🤪

Advertisement