Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Grant Applications 2012-2013

Options
  • 09-05-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am curious to find out if anyone has any more information on the new grant application procedure that will be implemented this year. The studentfinance.ie website states it will be announced and active in May of this year but as far as I can tell there has been no change to the site. I recognise that there are going to be teething problems with an entirely new national system of grants but I am anxious to secure the funding I need for my further education.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Generally if you are deemed eligible you will have to provide proof of income, address, birth cert etc. You could start to gather this information now in preparation for making an application.
    As it is a new system the earlier you apply the better. Having this documentation to hand will speed up the process considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭morgans303

Any word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

keep an eye out on studentfinance.ie - gather as much documentation as possible now

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Facebook has a tutorial video on completing the new online application. Its available here: http://http://www.facebook.com/susisupport/app_352257601489477

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

Just a quick update to this thread, I contacted SUSI and they let me know that the scheduled time for going live with the new website is the end of May. They have a mailing list which will send out an email when it does, so when I receive it I will update again.

• Advertisement

They're so irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

morgans303 wrote: »
    They're so irresponsible.

How do you mean ?

CommanderC wrote: »
    How do you mean ?

They should clearly state the date they begin accepting applications, instead of jerking everyone around.

According to CDVEC the end of May is the deadline. That's next week and at least there are some parts of the process you can be getting on with, such as amassing your documentation. That part won't change. So you will need to provide evidence of income from any source, proof of residence and citizenship.

If you need a cert of income from Social Welfare you can order that online now: https://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/jajbstatement.aspx

You can also get your P60 / P45 together and aP21 Balancing statement from Revenue where necessary.

You need to provide proof of address from the 1st October 2011. This can include utility bills in your name, School reports etc.

SUSI have put a video tutorial on completing the application online so at least people have an opportunity to become familiar with the procedure and should be ready to go when it does become live.
    Video: http://www.facebook.com/susisupport/app_352257601489477

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

They should clearly state the date they begin accepting applications, instead of jerking everyone around.

Jerking everyone around ??.....they've said it will be available in May..........I think you are completely over reacting, especially considering that the month of May has not passed yet .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

11th June it all goes live at SUSI. The afternoon apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

Making changes like this at the last minute smacks of incompetence and makes me question if the systems are in place to handle the award of grants on time this year? Late payment of grants could be a disaster for many mature students who are already struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

I rang them yesterday and they confirmed the new system launches on the 11th of June

Lets hope its well administered and there arent huge delays in the assessing of applications

Apparently the Dept of Education aren't in a position to publish the details of the new Student Grant scheme until the 11th of June which is why SUSI can't go live till then afaik.

This being Ireland I'd advise anyone applying to be ready to go as soon as it opens. I have a nightmarish vision of potenital website crashes and glitches galore.
    :eek:

I'm really tempted to get grants elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

Aye, thats the future you see, young paperclip, the future :(

tombom112 wrote: »
    Aye, thats the future you see, young paperclip, the future :(

:D

Oh the horror.....:eek:

hello everyone again

Just wondering, I have all my documents put together for susi, i live at home do i need a statement from my father who is on the state old age pension, thanks

Hi Tombom. If you are living at home you will need details of your fathers income. You can ask your dad to request a cert of income from DSP for 2011.

thanks paperclip

does he just request it from the local social welfare office

Thanks again

• Advertisement

its ok, i found it on the welfare.ie site

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Eenie

FYI the SUSI site IS now taking in new applications for any of you who haven't heard:)

Eenie wrote: »
    FYI the SUSI site IS now taking in new applications for any of you who haven't heard:)

See stickied link. ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm really tempted to get grants elsewhere.

where else can you get grants here?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    where else can you get grants here?

I think there's local organisations who give grants.

There used to be the Millennium fund which was administered by the area based partnerships but that fund was cut completely a couple of years ago. Individual colleges can award scholarships or bursaries if you meet the relevant criteria. The Credit Unions have a limited scholarship competition and the Vincent dePaul used to provide some education funding to pepole in extreme hardship.
    But as regards relatively comprehensive, statutory education funding, the Student grant funds administered by SUSI are really the only show in town.

DSP provide a weekly BTEA which is separate from the grants system.

Advertisement