Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

About to purchase an iPad

• 09-05-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm about to purchase my first iPad. I am an out and out Apple fanboy, iPhone 4, MacbookPro etc..

However, I am hearing some stories about the iPad 3 in terms of graphics etc etc.

So, to the experts whom have been following it in detail all along.. What should I do?

iPad2 or iPad3?

Pros / Cons?

Are these alleged issues hardware or software related?

All advice / assistance very much appreciated.

Rgds

Paul.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The price difference is minimal enough and the new ipad screen puts it above the ipad2. For the sake of saving a few quid I reckon you'll be much happier with the newer model.

I love mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

The price difference is minimal enough and the new ipad screen puts it above the ipad2. For the sake of saving a few quid I reckon you'll be much happier with the newer model.

I love mine anyway.

Oh for sure, I'm all for buying the newest/best kit, and generally the price is a secondary factor for me. Not because I'm loaded, far from it! But generally the saying 'buy cheap buy twice' is never far wrong.

I had heard a couple of rumours of issues with the graphics or something along those lines which was more of a concern for me.

There have been rumours of overheating which I have never experienced.

It's got a quadcore GPU to run the new retina display. The graphics are excellent. The battery life is still great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've never heard of any rumours about the graphics?

Frankly I think you'd be insane - given you have the funds - to not buy the new iPad.
    I have one at home, but use an iPad 2 in work. My eyes feel dirty after using the work one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I have an iPad 1, used iPad 2 and at the moment am setting up a 'The New iPad' (TNi) for a friend.

The difference in screen quality from 2 to TNi is amazing. You really have to see it to believe it. It's definitely worth every penny over the iPad 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I got TNi :pac: a few days after launch. Its by far the best tablet out there, almost replaced my laptop :pac:.

Personally though i've always been an android person , love their phones , but android tablets don't hold a candle toward the iPad.

Do yourself a favour and get the latest one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I don't own an iPad and I've never seen the iPad3 in action but I do recall reading the reviews and without exception they all said that the display on the iPad3 blows you away - don't even think of an iPad2 if you have the cash.

I have never read anything about 'issues' with the graphices on the iPad3. I don't believe there are any issues and if there are, these guys will report them and either debunk the rumour or tell you what Apple is doing to fix the 'issue'...

http://www.maclife.com/articles/ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Bought iPad 2 refurb no vat€280
    Couldn't be happier
    Would like 3 but couldnt justify price with a chance of breakage by the 2 year old that bashes it about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The graphic card is fine, there were some battery issues, fixed in the newest models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Had the 1, got the 2 and have used the 3. Personally, I do not see the difference that some people rave about. Better....yes, but not as significant visually as some make out.

The IP2 has a great display. If money was an issue, a 2nd hand IP2 would save you probably €130 vs the purchase of the new IP3. If money is not a big issue, or you are the type of person who has to break the packaging seal on his gadgets, then get the 3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

soundsham wrote: »
    Bought iPad 2 refurb no vat€280
    Couldn't be happier
    Would like 3 but couldnt justify price with a chance of breakage by the 2 year old that bashes it about

Hi,
    Where did you get it for that price please?
    I'm leaning towards an Asus Transformer Pro but if I can get an iPad two for €280 I'd jump on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

There have been rumours of overheating which I have never experienced.

It's got a quadcore GPU to run the new retina display. The graphics are excellent. The battery life is still great.

Where i work they are powered up 24/7 and with the iPad 2 there is no heat but with the iPad 3rd gen there is noticeable heat off it, but nothing major....
    but if ur at the back of a cold lecture hall taking notes on ur iPad u won't complain about it doubling as a hand warmer :p

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm leaning towards an Asus Transformer Pro but if I can get an iPad two for €280 I'd jump on it.

Apple refurb site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    €349- vat = €280
    Bought through work so don't pay the vat
    Could do the same for the newer one but I/she has better use for my cash,& I didn't want to see my 2 1/2 yr old break something too valuable

On that point the ipad took one fall already onto tiles from a couch and the griffin survivor case took it in its stride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

dodzy wrote: »
    Had the 1, got the 2 and have used the 3. Personally, I do not see the difference that some people rave about. Better....yes, but not as significant visually as some make out.

The IP2 has a great display. If money was an issue, a 2nd hand IP2 would save you probably €130 vs the purchase of the new IP3. If money is not a big issue, or you are the type of person who has to break the packaging seal on his gadgets, then get the 3 ;)

Thats it in a nutshell. I have the original iPad and my wife has the new one. Personally, if I had to go out and buy another one in the morning (and money being the way it is) id def go for a re furbed iPad 2, and save myself over a hundred bucks.

Yes, the screen on the new one is very good (assuming you're working on an app that can take advantage of it) but the screen on the iPad 2 isn't exactly bad. Side by side you would notice a difference alright, but it's not startling, and as long as you don't have a partner/friend with a new iPad to constantly remind you of the difference, I bet it will never bother you.

dodzy wrote: »

Thats it in a nutshell. I have the original iPad and my wife has the new one. Personally, if I had to go out and buy another one in the morning (and money being the way it is) id def go for a re furbed iPad 2, and save myself over a hundred bucks.

Yes, the screen on the new one is very good (assuming you're working on an app that can take advantage of it) but the screen on the iPad 2 isn't exactly bad. Side by side you would notice a difference alright, but it's not startling, and as long as you don't have a partner/friend with a new iPad to constantly remind you of the difference, I bet it will never bother you.

I had the total opposite reaction. I find the TNi's screen so much better that it wouldn't, IMO, be worth buying the older one. Reading is so much easier, images look so much better and everything is clearer. All apps will eventually be updated to use the retina display so that's a null point.

I had this reaction without comparing the two screens, but on comparison it is still much better.

I'd only consider the cheaper 2 if i was low on funds (i'd probably save a little longer and wait until i could afford the TNi) or if as someone above, had small children that might break it.

The benefit of the retina display is more about potential and your own video collection than it is necessarily for apps that are available right now.

Something like infinity blade 2 is very pretty if you're into gaming like me. And the AR apps and camera is great but I'm not going to be using an ipad to take many pictures, though the ones I've taken look great compared to iphone 4.

If you just want an iPad fair enough. Get the 2. A good machine, good enough price right now. But if you can afford to shell out a little more, you might be kicking yourself down the line if and when the screen gets some more killer apps.

Of course you might not care by the time they show up in any case because it's not like the ipad 2 is a dinosaur.

So it's all about how you plan to use it really.

The benefit of the retina display is more about potential and your own video collection than it is necessarily for apps that are available right now.

<SNIP>

So it's all about how you plan to use it really.

For general reading it makes a big improvement to legibility, much better on my eyes anyway. All apps automatically get this upgrade. The old iPad is blurry in comparison.

TBi wrote: »
    For general reading it makes a big improvement to legibility, much better on my eyes anyway. All apps automatically get this upgrade. The old iPad is blurry in comparison.

Definitely agree with this. I love it. I think the new display is awesome and would be kicking myself if I had bought the older one considering the amount of time I spend using it and the amount of benefit I have gotten out of the new display. I'm just saying that either way it'll be a good purchase. It's all about whether or not you're willing to spend a bit more to get the latest model.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's all about whether or not you're willing to spend a bit more to get the latest model.
    While I agree with the rest - I don't think this is all about getting the latest model. That's what a few posters would somewhat scornfully have you think.

It's about getting the best model. The new iPad wasn't just a spec jump - the high res screen offers a very real improvement over the previous models.

• Advertisement
Advertisement