Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bill unpaid by old house mates and landlord

Options
  • 09-05-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping for some advise here. I lived with 4 other people in a rented house up until Oct. The landlord always had trouble from the other tenants with regards to rent being paid on time but had no problems with myself, infact i kind of managed the property for him and looked after the bills. any way i informed him i was moving out and shortly before i did he changed the gas bill into my name without my consent. I rang Bord Gais as soon as it arrived and instructed them to change it back. I gave them a meter reading. Then in Feb i recieved a call saying a there was an outstanding bill at the address in my name and the account was still active. Again i closed it with them but could not get a reading as i live miles away. Now i have stubbs gazette calling me demanding payment. I informed them of the situation and they said my name is on the account therefore im liable.

The landlord is being very evasive and says the other tenants ran up the bill an left. He hasn't committed to paying it. He used to collect the rent cash in hand and would never allow bank transfers so i imagine he hasnt registered the property and is avoiding tax. Ive have called and he wont answer so i text him to say that i would take the matter up with the PRTB as i can prove i left in before OCT. Can the PRTB help here?

What steps would you recommend i take next if he will not pay the outstanding amount

Comments

Advertisement