Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-wrt setup

Options
  • 09-05-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Just moved my router (cisco e3000) onto dd-wrt so I can monitor bandwidth because im getting upc in a few days. The setup went ok but I noticed a drop in speeds with web page loading. My old setup was a static ip to my zyxel modem, I had Nat off and rip enabled. With dd-wrt I tried to change it to "router" in operating mode under the advanced routing menu, because I have another modem doing the connection to the web, this stopped the web from working so I tried changing it to "rip 2 router" but this didnt work. Its working now with "gateway" selected but couldnt this cause issues and the small drop in page loading? With NAT enabled in the past it caused issues.

Downloading a file I get a fine speed

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe the firewall feature is interfering. When you set to router you must put the wstatic IP settings on the WAN interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gateway is what you want, router is as it says, a router, it does not add the default nat lan to wan rule or setup the firewall.

Edit: Maybe you want a 4 port switched access point (you mentioned not wanting it routing) http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
    This will not give you statistics though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Nets & Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You want to get rid of NAT again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Yeah I dont want NAT on it, my old setup was a static ip to the zyxel with nat off. If I cant get statistics theres no point then? I connect my wireless and wired devices to the cisco and it just passed it to the zyxel so no NAT needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm nearly certain you won't get statistics without routing and nat. Switching doesn't count as its packet switched on layer 2 and doesn't use the cpu. Why not bridge the Zyxel and let this nat?

He wants to route, just without NAT. However, bridging like you say might be the easiest and best solution if there's nothing else hanging off the Zyxel.

Problem is theres a second device, a tp link part of the sam knows study thats why dhcp and nat are all enabled. But the cicso modems upc supply so if I did bridge the zyxel it would be for two days them im back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I was going to suggest:

why not get the dd-wrt to ppp to the internet, through the modem? That way, the external IP address is dumped directely onto the dd-wrt, and it is in full control of NAT...
    To set up, you configure the Zyxel in RFC1838 (or something like that) bridged mode...and

but then I realised, this will be irrelevant with the upc setup.

Is there any way you can request the older scientific atlanta modem from UPC, in lieu of hteir newer cisco router? Will perform much easier for you...

Dont think I can and im not doing the install an engineer is but i'll say it do him. I could buy a modem but im moving out in September so might be a was of 20euro. Hoped their would be an easy solution

• Advertisement

Try and get the SA off of him, although you probably won't succeed. I'm not sure what you meant about buying the modem, so let's be clear that only UPC supplied modems are going to work on the UPC network.

I'd be surprised if what you want to do can't be done with dd-wrt. I moved very quickly to openwrt so I can't say for sure, but you may get a better answer from a dd-wrt specific forum. I'd say you want to avoid double NAT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ypu'd be as well to ring upc now, and specifically request the SA modem (on the grounds that you already have a wifi router yourself) rather than wait for the technician to arrive with a pre commissioned cisco one

Chap came and went I have the latest one and I did ask. But never mind we have a new issue the setup is:

UPC cisco --> homeplug ---> my cisco

I have them connected up but cant seem to connect to the web via my cisco. I set the UPC to 192.168.0.2 on the starting local address. The cisco is the exact same as it was earlier. Using a static ip for it all. Tired to set static IP on the UPC cisco, I set the DMZ to use my ciscos IP and I enabled UPNP. ANy ideas?

Edit: enabling NAT on my cisco gives me a connection, but I expect this to cause issues with dual nats

Advertisement