Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop a dog leaning?

• 09-05-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

I'm puppy sitting once again for my uncles 10 month old GoldenXGSD and we've stopped the jumping and the snapping (mostly) but now she has started to lean. When we are walking through the garden she will run circles around us, I think she's trying to herd us or something! She does the same to the cats :P

But now if anyone is standing still she'll run up, stand nicely for a rub then lean against your legs.She puts all her weight on you I would just be worried if she did it to a child or someone old or frail they would be knocked, she really is quite heavy!

Today she did it to me while I was walking up the hill in our garden. Normally I wouldn't fall over but as I was on a slope I did. She looked delighted with herself and proceded to lick my face :rolleyes: I gave out to her, but she took no notice and went to do it again, so I just took a step backwards and she fell over :D

Has anyone any tips for stopping her doing this? The only thing Ive been doing is say 'no lean' in a low voice and taking a step backwards, is this the proper way to do it or is there more too it? Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be inclined to move my leg whenever she leans on it so that she stumbles. She'd soon learn that people aren't stable things to lean on. Of course it's no use unless her owner continues the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh don't worry the training will be kept up, I live in the house beside my uncle, like both are within the same garden so the dog is practically mine anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not to worry you have you considered that she might be sore/tired in her legs or back? Is her weight ok and excercise still limited so 50 mins for her as he's 10 months? Leaning in is how I'd know if my dog was sore/tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're sure there's nothing wrong with her then I'd do the same as Kylith suggested. My friends 47kg dog leans on her the whole time but doesn't do it to anyone else because we don't let him. Very much habit

I really don't think its due to being tired, I let her out for a pee there about 15 minutes ago and she had been just sleeping/lazing around and she came up and did it to me again. I don't think she's sore on them really, her weight is normal and she gets about a 30 minute walk in the woods/park about 5-6 days a week and about another 15 mins of solid playing in the garden. Her exercise has always been restricted as per her age, and she's neutered if that makes any odds!

I think she's doing it because she likes to be as close to people as possible and since she isn't allowed jump, this is how she's compensating. That's my theory anyway! :D She was sitting beside me on the couch and was doing it then too except leaning into my side, and she fell asleep on me. She's a little dote :D

I will just keep moving away from her when she does it and hope for the best. The look on her face when she falls over is priceless though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

my gsdx will do it every now and again when he wants a belly rub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To me, this is utterly, completely, a typical GSD thing to do! They do herd people, and they do lean on people. Personally, I love when our GSD leans against me for an oul rub, I think it's a lovely bonding experience for us both. Our last GSD did it too!
    That said, I can understand why people wouldn't want a large dog doing this in case it knocks them off-balance. So, try to anticipate when she's going to do it, then step into the space she was going to occupy, then move quickly away before she does it.
    However, as it's something they really like to do (and I don't believe there is any sinister motivation behind it in most cases), you could perhaps put it under command control, and invite her over for a lean, but only when you invite her to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DBB wrote: »
    To me, this is utterly, completely, a typical GSD thing to do!

My grandparents doberman used to do this as well! Maybe he learned it off their gsd! :D

DBB wrote: »
    To me, this is utterly, completely, a typical GSD thing to do! They do herd people, and they do lean on people. Personally, I love when our GSD leans against me for an oul rub, I think it's a lovely bonding experience for us both. Our last GSD did it too!
    That said, I can understand why people wouldn't want a large dog doing this in case it knocks them off-balance. So, try to anticipate when she's going to do it, then step into the space she was going to occupy, then move quickly away before she does it.
    However, as it's something they really like to do (and I don't believe there is any sinister motivation behind it in most cases), you could perhaps put it under command control, and invite her over for a lean, but only when you invite her to.

Yeah the command thing sounds like something I would like to try, I don't mind her leaning at all, especially when we are sitting down. Tis lovely to have an aul cuddle :D But like I said, I would hate the thought of her knocking a child or a frail old person :eek: What would I do in that case - something like saying 'Lean' and treating her when she does it, and when she moves off say something like 'no lean' and reward her??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My grandparents doberman used to do this as well! Maybe he learned it off their gsd! :D

My Dobie used to do it too! Loved having his ears scratched and he'd lean into you while you scratched away. If you did it long enough, then he'd fall asleep with your leg buckling under the strain! :D

• Advertisement

Maybe there;s some Dobie in our dog instead of GSD :P Daddy is debated. It was originally meant to be a black lab, but all the pups bar the 2 golden ones have little brown eyebrows, muzzles and socks :D (could be GSD, Dobie, Rottie, anything!) But the vet said she has the look of a GSD so that's what we're sticking with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If you want her to stop it altogether I think the best way to get the message across is when you see she is about to lean to your leg then nudge her away with your leg.
    What I mean is leave your foot on the floor and just move your knee to push her while saying no or some command.
    This will work better than taking your leg away because it is more active......if you get what I mean.

Advertisement