Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief: Irish student in UK

Options
  • 09-05-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, quick question that I’ve had no luck finding an answer to as yet: My daughter is in college in Scotland where we pay for her accommodation. I know if we were paying for accommodation here we would be able to claim some sort of rent relief – is there any UK equivalent that anyone knows of. I mean, obviously were not paying tax in the UK but....just wanted to check.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not aware of anything. I strongly suspect not. You may be able to write off tuition fees.

Is the UK resident paying income tax in either jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

No such thing as rent relief in the UK. You can't even share your tax free allowances with your married spouse! ( I speak from experience....I was quite shocked at what I could claim against tax when I moved here from the UK)

HTH

P.S.
    Check http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm you may find some other helpful info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nope! You aren't entitled to ANY tax relief in the UK for rent OR mortgage. I would also imagine if you are domiciled in the RoI for tax purposes, you won't be able to claim from the Irish taxman either.

Mortgage relief in the UK ceased nearly twenty years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fenwick

Wow, tough crowd over there, and I though we had it tough! Alright, sure thanks a mill for the replies anyway folks!

Victor - no, shes not paying tax in either
    Fran, Il check that link, cheers!

Advertisement