Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test and Certify a Electrical Installation on a house

Options
  • 09-05-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

Wondering if anyone can help, i recently rewired an old house and move the fusebox. Only problem is i have tested the house with test equipment i borrowed and now can't get these again for an inspection to get the house certied. Is there anyone interested in testing a house and certifying it?? In the navan area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Alru wrote: »
    Hey,

Wondering if anyone can help, i recently rewired an old house and move the fusebox. Only problem is i have tested the house with test equipment i borrowed and now can't get these again for an inspection to get the house certied. Is there anyone interested in testing a house and certifying it?? In the navan area
    I'm afraid it's against regulations to certify someone else's work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

@ the OP:
    Check the golden pages. It is not against any legally binding regulations to certify someone elses work.

@ meercat:

You wrote:
    I'm afraid it's against regulations to certify someone else's work

Any links? Any background information?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

heinbloed wrote: »
    @ the OP:
    Check the golden pages. It is not against any legally binding regulations to certify someone elses work.

@ meercat:

You wrote:

Registered electrical contractors as members of the ECSSA or RECI are not permitted to certify any work except for their own. A quick phone call to either organization will confirm this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You beat me to it Paddy!
    Hard to respond quickly on an iPhone.

• Advertisement

Thanks, paddymick.

This link posted by you shows no sentence like " It is against regulations....".

All it does is giving a warning to members not to certify work which they have not tested. Insurance implications, tax implications.

The OP has asked for some adress of someone
    ...testing a house and certifying it

Testing and certifying is not against any regulations.
    Please inform your organisation about the badly understood leaflet they have distributed - if relevant.

Any capeable electrician is able to certify an electric system he has tested. Be it a toaster, a home installation or an international electricity distribution network.
    So it says in the leaflet.

Thanks, paddymick.

This link posted by you shows no sentence like " It is against regulations....".

All it does is giving a warning to members not to certify work which they have not tested. Insurance implications, tax implications.

The OP has asked for some adress of someone

Testing and certifying is not against any regulations.
    Please inform your organisation about the badly understood leaflet they have distributed - if relevant.

Any capeable electrician is able to certify an electric system he has tested. Be it a toaster, a home installation or an international electricity distribution network.
    So it says in the leaflet.

Any capable electrician can test, but is prohibited from certifying someone else's work as shown on Paddy's link. If you disagree please support your arguement with a link.

The term "work" describes the testing, 2011. Not the installation of electrical work equipment, cables, ducting, switches etc... or the copper mining and cable production.

Only the sucessfull test can be certified.
    By the person who has done the test.
    That's what it says in the provided link.
    It does not say that an electrician can't certify the installation which someone else has installed.
    And to what the OP refers his question to.

Reading only the headline leaves us in the dark, but this might be wanted by the author. Otherwise a clearer expression would have been used.

heinbloed, here is a direct quote from the link above:

Quite apart from the fact that certifying the work of others is specifically prohibited by the Rules of both ECSSA and RECI, there is also the question of liability for any claims, which might subsequently arise from a defective installation.

2011 wrote: »
    heinbloed, here is a direct quote from the link above:

LOL you beat me this time I was just going to do the same thing:D

The way I see it is in order to do a cert in Ireland you need to be a member of one of two regulatory bodies ECSSA or RECI.
    And in order to be a member you must agree to and abide by their rules who both prohibit certifying work done by others..

And I would take the term "work" as the installation not just the testing..
    This is the way Ive always known it to be.
    I was always told if I or a member of my company didnt do the work then I cant send in a pre-connection cert for a new installation ..

• Advertisement

A question raised by a leafelet author is not a legally binding regulation, 2011. It is raised by the author but not answered.

If you have questions concerning the legal consequences of this leafelet contact the author.
    Expect to be send home with a question, not with an answer.(smiley)

@ the OP: any success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

registered contractors are not allowed certify other people's work

that's all there is to it heinbloed

Give ECSSA or RECI a call in the morning heinbloed then come back and let us all know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

as i understand it the boys above are correct,

the two organisations have saved that work for themselves, by appointment they will call out and test, inspect and potentially certify the works for you ( approx 350 euro for domestic i think)

would think it prudent not to certify others work, if a hidden bad joint causes a fire it's the name on the cert who is in the dock not the actual installer

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

you can test another contractors work when filling out the pre connection cert it asks if you are both the tester and the installer or just the tester was in ecssa training last wednesday and this question was asked and was told al long as it was clear on the cert that only the tester then ok

@ meercat

http://reci.ie/Portals/0/cer09107-cp1.pdf

section 5 deals with the registered contractor role

All Controlled Works shall be verified and certified as complying with the Technical
    Rules by a Certificate. The Certificate shall be purchased by the REC from the
    relevant Body and then issued by the REC to the customer for the controlled works
    carried out by that REC.

Certificates may only be used by the REC to whom they are sold for Controlled
    Works carried out by him/her, except in exceptional circumstances where prior
    written approval is given by the Body.

A REC shall not under any circumstances (unless he has received the prior written
    approval of the Body) sell, or transfer Certificates to anyone else whether they are a
    REC or Non-REC. To do so would be in breach of the Rules of Registration and the
    REC may be subject to the sanctions described therein

5.6 The REC who carries out the Controlled Works, and who subsequently signs the
    Certificate, is making a formal declaration that the Controlled Work carried out by
    him/her complies with the relevant Technical Rules.

Explain why it has two sections on the cert also if appartment block is finished in 2000 say and only in 2005 one of the appartments is sold which needs a cert to reconnect and original contractor is gone belly up can the appartment not be reconnected with cert from second contractor not second cobtractors work but can cert

bucky08 wrote: »
    you can test another contractors work when filling out the pre connection cert it asks if you are both the tester and the installer or just the tester was in ecssa training last wednesday and this question was asked and was told al long as it was clear on the cert that only the tester then ok

this does not apply to new or controlled work
    the op stated that he rewired the house and moved the fuseboard(both of which would be controlled work)
    in the link in my previous post it clearly states that only work done by the rec
    can be certified

Definition of Controlled Works
    Controlled Works are major electrical installation works (including additions, alterations
    and/or extensions) which are covered by the Technical Rules and which involve:
    1. The installation, commissioning, inspection, and testing of a new fixed electrical
    installation requiring connection or reconnection to the electricity network.
    2. The installation or replacement of a distribution board or consumer unit, or new
    installation in special locations as defined in Part 7 of the Technical Rules ET101 and
    ET105.
    3. The installation or replacement of one or more extra circuits in an existing installation,
    including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on
    a distribution board.
    4. Subsystems installed in commercial, industrial, and domestic installations where the
    installation falls within the remit of the Technical Rules.
    5. The inspection, testing and Certification of existing electrical installations (in accordance
    with Chapter 62 of the Technical Rules (ET 101 –Fourth Edition-2008) and to conform
    with Regulation 89 of SI No 732 of 2007.
    Any works which do not fall within the above scope are not Controlled Works and shall not
    necessarily require a Certificate to issue. However, it is recommended that for all other
    works, an appropriate form of Certification is used (e.g. a Declaration of Compliance with ET
    101 for minor works, where appropriate).

Explain why it has two sections on the cert also if appartment block is finished in 2000 say and only in 2005 one of the appartments is sold which needs a cert to reconnect and original contractor is gone belly up can the appartment not be reconnected with cert from second contractor not second cobtractors work but can cert

this is covered by special circumstances
    the new contractor has to seek permission to issue a certificate

I guess that would be exceptional circumstances and would be covered by the part in bold:
    Certificates may only be used by the REC to whom they are sold for Controlled
    Works carried out by him/her, except in exceptional circumstances where prior
    written approval is given by the Body

EDIT: Beaten to it again!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I guess that would be exceptional circumstances and would be covered by the part in bold:

spot on

Explain why it has two sections on the cert

there are some circumstances when a cert may be required(move meter for example)when the installation has not been completed by the rec

As a wise man once said get back to u on that one haha srriously gonna follow up on this one tomorrow dont see why ecssa insructor said this was ok in training day

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Hey,

this is a brave question for a first post!!!! and look at the reg date :rolleyes:

Hey,

I am sure that you can rent the test equipment.
    Try Insteco, they are local to you and I think they may rent test equipment.

Advertisement