Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clock

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭

Not really a model as such, but a wood gear clock made from 6mm plywood. Just the mechanism done for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KENDEE

nice pal looks cool .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea i was surprised i got it workin at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very very nice, well done. One question though, will the teeth on the cog wheels wear down over time from use?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very very nice, well done. One question though, will the teeth on the cog wheels wear down over time from use?

Id say eventually they will. The nearer the cog is to the great wheel (the big one the weight drives) the more wear would be on the gear. The cogs would be easy to re cut out and replace. Even in spring driven watches there is wear, but more on the bearings than gear teeth.

Keeping these wood gear clocks going is a job in itself, after the task of actually getting them going:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That is a very interesting project.
    Did you mill the parts out yourself?

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    That is a very interesting project.
    Did you mill the parts out yourself?

Yea i did coolwings, with a scroll saw. Its just that 6mm ply you get in woodies, some parts its doubled up.

I just put the clock up on the wall a couple of days ago. Got it running for 5 minutes at first, then after a bit of tuning, an hour or so.

Today it was sticking so i checked for freely spinning gears individually, and found the drive weight was slightly twisting the frame and so binding the escape wheel arbour (axle). I just added in 2 more fixing plates onto the 2 bottom legs and fixed them to the wall. Its going near 4 hours now so it looks like it might run for the duration of the weight drop.

I was surprised it worked at all:) I just cut out a part here and there over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Very impressive. Nice job.

Reminds me of that book, was it 'Latitude' about the guy making the first chronographs, he made them out of wood and spent time picking the right woods, grain direction etc etc.

deandean wrote: »
    Very impressive. Nice job.

Reminds me of that book, was it 'Latitude' about the guy making the first chronographs, he made them out of wood and spent time picking the right woods, grain direction etc etc.

Yea i think he made a clock accurate enough to enable ships to calculate longitude as well. Imagine the task that was, in the 1700`s. Easy enough for them to make accurate clocks for use on land. But at sea was a different story.

I didnt think this diy build one would work well enough to use as a proper clock, but it easily does.

Here is a photo when I dis-assembled to paint the frame. Every gear in the clock is in the photo.
    Photo0507.jpg

Advertisement