Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da Robertas salthill

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

I got a voucher for this place. Is the food nice?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

It has a very authentic vibe but the food is mediocre at worst. I had a very bland pizza (which was supposed to be spicy) there recently but my partner had chicken & pesto dish which she found very satisfying. Desserts are lovely. Kids are tolerated.

It wouldn't be in my top 10 list of Galway Restaurants but you've got a voucher so you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I've eaten there several times with my family and we have always found the food to be very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You wouldn't like it at all, OP. I'll take that nasty voucher off your hands and dispose of it for you for free. No need to thank me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

its very very good food - not gourmet by any means, but nice italian dishes, good size portions and excellent pizza (although you would want to order pizza just for eating in house, by the time you bring it home it's always cold if you get collection - but its really really good.

You will enjoy - won loads of awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

I think its really nice been there loads of times and never had any problems with it, usually busy and lots of repeat customers.

Def use the voucher!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I used to be a big fan but on my last 2 visits I found the service to be poor, verging on terrible. I won't be rushing back, which is a pity cos I like the menu. They aren't the cheapest either, but seeing as you have a voucher that's not an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Wasn't there some issue there recently regarding closure? Thinking of voucher validity...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev2

The gnocchi with blue cheese and red onion was lovely! But I'm a big fan of Italian food. Always found the service very good. Nice people

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

The last time I was there we were kept waiting 20 mins for our table even though we had a reservation. Service was not good. Food was OK though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As said above, don't go there for the service. Friendly but a bit scatty. The pizzas are nice, but the pastas are to die for. Would certainly be my #1 Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

kevin65 wrote: »
    The last time I was there we were kept waiting 20 mins for our table even though we had a reservation. Service was not good. Food was OK though.

While the wait is annoying is not the fact that it is busy a good recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

They will charge you €4 for a pizza box (I kid you not!) to bring any of you leftovers home!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Heard similar story too about vouchers too and calls being threatened to be made to Gardai so make sure its valid before you sit down.
    And also if you bring a couple of people with you and spend over 250 notes, make sure everyone finishes what they order as they will charge you €4 for a pizza box (I kid you not!) to bring any of you leftovers home!:eek:

Yep, they closed for a couple of days, went into liquidation and re-opened. I wouldn't be buying any vouchers from them. Great food though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

dev2 wrote: »
    The gnocchi with blue cheese and red onion was lovely! But I'm a big fan of Italian food. Always found the service very good. Nice people

It's hard to get good gnocchi.

I used to eat it in France and loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

nuac wrote: »
    While the wait is annoying is not the fact that it is busy a good recommendation?

I think they probably over-booked, resulting in us having to stand in the middle of the restaurant waiting for a table, and they didn't seem to give a sh*t. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

The menu and the food is great. I love their antipasti platter and the pasta dishes are gorgeous.

The service is terrible.

I've found it to be very badly organised and scatty and some of the tables are pretty much on top of each other!

On one occassion we had a booking for 5 people one Sunday. After ordering and still no sign of our food after 50minutes, we enquired would it be much longer. The lady that owns it with her husband had taken our order but we could see some fumbling at the counter and then the waitress came over to inform us the order wasn't actually put through but they'd put it in now and it wouldn't be much longer
    (Something similar happened recently somewhere else, I've no luck:rolleyes:)

I just thought it was really bad form that it was HER mistake yet she sent the young waitress over and we told her so!

We decided to go across the road to the Galleon instead and were tucking into our dinners 10mins later!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

"Tucking into your food 10 minutes later..."

That doesn't bode well for the Galleon......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galleon is very family friendly and the food is always tasty and fresh. Don't knock it 'till you try it. Desserts aren't great though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why? in context of the post you're quoting your own post makes little sense to me, maybe you can walk me through it?

eh, why? fast, efficient service is a good thing IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I know where oddsox is coming from, the food was definitely not cooked to order if it is served that quickly. I prefer to wait a bit. Having said that, I had nice meals in the Galleon.

I know where oddsox is coming from, the food was definitely not cooked to order if it is served that quickly. I prefer to wait a bit. Having said that, I had nice meals in the Galleon.
    I know that CC, for a Sunday lunch menu in a family restaurant like the Galleon, I imagine they have a "carvery" set up in the kitchen using bain maries...I didn't think my roast beef was cooked to order!!

Oddsox comment is totally irrelevant in context of the post she quoted. I used to eat regularly in Robertas and would happily expect to wait 20mins or so for a cooked to order meal. However, we were left waiting almost an hour because the order was never put through;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Depends what you order really. Steak doesn't take 10 minutes for example. And they're hardly going to wait to cook pasta/potatoes/rice until someone makes an order that it's required for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Hi

Is Da Robertas worth going to anymore? I used to love the place but haven't been for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi

Is Da Robertas worth going to anymore? I used to love the place but haven't been for a while.

No. Last visit the waiter by accident knocked a glass of red wine over my missus about half way through our meal. Owner refused to pay dry cleaning bill and charged for the meal in full, including the glass of wine. That should let you know the character of those that run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

Used to love eating here. Last two times I have been there the food has been really disappointing. Wont be going back again but that's just my opinion.

PS. Think the head chef that used to work there a few years ago runs basilico in Oranmore now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I wasn't impressed the last time I was there. Charged full whack for a childrens portion even though I only asked for a few pieces of veg for my baby!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I didn't go there in the end even though it was jam packed this evening, but I did notice a new Italian a few doors down, nearer the AIB. I think it's brand new, there used to be a small Indian there before but it was obviously not doing well. I cant remember the name of the new Italian, I think it began with a 'C'.

Edit: I found it here: http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186609-d5993569-r191985941-La_Collina-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

La Collina, only one review thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

I have been to La Collina.Nice interior,nice staff and I had a lovely steak.took a bit long tho.I think it will do well.never understood da robertas,food average and service laughable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

It used to be one of my favourite spots for eating around Galway. The service was always shockingly bad but the food was fantastic. Unfortunately the last few times I've been there I have to say that the food was as bad as the service. Very disappointing.

Advertisement