Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy-free/Yeast-free bread?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Is it possible to get diary- and yeast-free bread? Or does all bread have one or the other by necessity?

Comments

i think soda bread can have neither, certain brands of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Cool thanks. Found this too: http://www.delicious.ie/gluten-free-products/

So it does exist anyway! Any recommendations for widely available ones (in supermarkets etc ideally)?

couldnt remember the feckin name all day

i'm pretty sure this has no dairy
    http://www.foodireland.com/images/bakery/3002.gif

if you're allergic to dairy like me though i can say this shouldn't be an issue

it's in tescos and stuff

according to google this is in fact dairy free

http://www.thewellbeingclinic.ie/candida-diet-plan/
    it mentions the brand specifically :)

Cool thanks :)
    I like that bread. It was my normal choice, until I stopped eating it because I know it's made with buttermilk, and I was trying to avoid dairy. I dont mind eating some dairy though, and it's useful information to know that it's ok to eat if you're allergic (my gf is).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Or does all bread have one or the other by necessity?
    The yeast creates carbon dioxide gas which bubbles up the bread to make it rise. In soda bread they usually add bread soda (a base) and buttermilk (the acid), when the acid & base react they also give off carbon dioxide gas which rises the bread without the need for yeast.

You could replace the buttermilk with other acids. You could make pancakes with water, flour, lemon juice & baking soda (& sugar if wanted). These would be light & fluffy. I mix my pancakes batter (I use egg, milk, flour, baking soda) and leave it rest in the fridge, then I add the lemon juice at the last minute so it is only just creating the gas and more fluffy.

Some people use vinegar as the acid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

bluewolf wrote: »
    couldnt remember the feckin name all day

i'm pretty sure this has no dairy
    http://www.foodireland.com/images/bakery/3002.gif

That bread is definitely not dairy free!

Tesco used to carry a dairy free loaf like that, can't remember the brand, but they haven't had it for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Is it possible to get diary- and yeast-free bread? Or does all bread have one or the other by necessity?

You could make a brown soda bread using soyamilk and lemon juice in place of the buttermilk, if you want to go down the DIY route. I've used an odlums recipe before with great success, just flour, buttermilk, bread soda and salt (I think), didn't taste too dissimilar to McCambridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Hovis bread is vegan... think it's pretty widely available.

tabouli wrote: »
    Hovis bread is vegan... think it's pretty widely available.
    I think most bread is vegan. Hovis is nice, but it contains yeast. I need to avoid yeast because of its purine content. I'm happy enough to stick with MacCambridges and similar sodas if a dairy-free/yeast-free wholemeal is not conveniently available to me.

If you check tesco online it often has info on products, not sure how reliable it is.

hovis bread
    100% British wheat & no artificial preservatives

Suitable for vegetarians & vegans

• Advertisement

Like I said, Hovis does contain yeast. Yeast is considered vegan. My avoiding yeast is unrelated to avoiding animal products.

Like I said, Hovis does contain yeast.
    Sorry, I just meant it as a general comment that you can check tesco online for info & ingredients listings on many products. It will be listed in order of greatest too, so some might have only small amounts.

This is mc cambridges, a lot more milk than I would have guessed.

Fresh Buttermilk (43%),Wholemeal Flour (30%) ,Wheatflour ,Raising Agent: Bicarbonate of Soda ,Salt ,Wheatgerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jenni93

Is it possible to buy sliced bread for sandwiches that is yeast free in the supermarkets or health food shops??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jenni93 wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy sliced bread for sandwiches that is yeast free in the supermarkets or health food shops??

Yes, any soda bread will be yeast free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could use a non-dairy milk plus baking soda and cream of tartar for soda bread. Cream of tartar is an acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Soul Bakery make lovely gluten free and dairy free breads. I've seen their products in Supervalu and Dunnes Stores in Co. Dublin. Making your own sourdough bread is also an option and not too complicated at all.

Advertisement