Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ODCE essay question

• 09-05-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm preparing a short essay critically analysing the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement since its establishment.

I have a lot of various case to talk about, but I'm wondering what is the general view in this area? Do the legal folk of Ireland view its establishment as an effectual intervention or just another pointless public body?

Any view or points I could use would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Appelby himself has complained over the years about a lack of resources and political will. A bit of googling will help you here. I can recall numerous articles in the Phoenix about him trying for a big scalp and being frustrated but you'll have a hard time digging them out if at all.

I'd do a comparison with the regime up the North; it's next on impossible to get a disqualification down here, the best he can do is a restriction which amounts to a mild finger wagging. Up the North, there's been numerous massive disqualifications recently for the kind of carry on that seems to warrant a small restriction at best down here.

Thinking back to any recent disqualifications, I can only think of Re Missford (t/a Residence) where two directors *consented* to 4 year disqualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

IMO the ODCE has strengthened and concentrated the enforcement of company law in Ireland, if go onto SSRN you should find articles on the subject.

Advertisement