Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Lessons in Dundalk

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get decent Spanish Lessons in the town.

I did the 10 week course in O'fiach but honestly wasnt great.

Cost is not really an issue but a good teacher for a thick f*cker like me;)

My other half is Spanish hence I want to decipher what she is saying :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Have you tried DKIT?

Louth VEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Yep but I am looking for a small class initially then one to one.

I know there are schools in the town but for the life of me cant remember where... As I said I am thick;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Hm, might be worth trying the local papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Salvation wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get decent Spanish Lessons in the town.

I did the 10 week course in O'fiach but honestly wasnt great.

Cost is not really an issue but a good teacher for a thick f*cker like me;)

My other half is Spanish hence I want to decipher what she is saying :p

I used to have a Spanish OH, but unlike you I could speak a reasonable level of Spanish before I met her. I was lucky enough to have done it in school to LC Honours level and to have spent a couple of 3 week stints staying with a family over there as a teenager. I believe that that is the best way to learn; actually being there and having to speak the language.

After she'd been in Dundalk for a while, my OH was actually asked to teach Spanish in the Dundalk School of Languages (This was over 10 years ago, by the way). I assume it's still there; it was on Defenders' Row, just 'round the corner from McGeogh's/Rosso (as was!) etc.

Don't know who teaches Spanish there these days, or even if anyone does, but I'd say that'd be a good place to start.

If you have done the 10 week course in O'Fiach, then you might have been taught by an Argentinian lady called Sylvia Puyane who lives in Ravesdale. I think she was doing that course in the past but I don't know if she still does. You could probably do worse than asking Sylvia for 1-on-1 lessons. If she doesn't do them herself, then she might know someone who does.

Then again, if you're passed the Hola, Por Favor, Gracias, Adios stage, and if your wife speaks good enough English, then simply getting her to teach you might be the answer. When I was going out with the Spanish OH I mentioned above, we used to converse in a hodge-podge mish-mash of Spanish & English (often with me speaking Spanish and her speaking English) and we would correct each other's mistakes. That way, we were both improving our grasp of the other's language all the time.

Do you speak any other languages, like French?

I did French before I did Spanish, and I found Spanish dead easy as a consequence. A lot of the grammatical structures are very similar (such as the concept of nouns having a gender, and adjectives having to agree with their nouns both in number and gender, and that sort of thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

yeah I found being in spain I learn a great deal in a short time and yes that argentinan lady is great but one to one maybe better for me.

I actual speak a good deal of arabic from being in the middle east with the army, but it was picked up and nor formally teaching.

A little french and a little german.

But Spanish is the language I want to learn so I can take the mick out of my missus :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Richard K

Hello. I have just come across your query. My name is Richard Keogh and I have a language school in Dundalk called The Language Place. We offer classes in a number of foreign languages, including Spanish (I lived in Spain myself for eleven years, though I am not the spanish teacher; all our teachers are native). If you would like more info on our courses, please check out our website at www.thelanguageplace.ie or give us a call. Info on the website.

Advertisement